The Yōkai

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Cuyo Quiz

Re: The Yokai

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

If i didn't post here already, then i forgot.

Good work!.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
dontano

Post by dontano »

You can always look for a black dot upon each of the topics' marks. That means you've posted something.
Trust yourself first, then trust others.
Current activity/ies: what...!?
Melon

Post by Melon »

I just wanted to hear some comments on a couple of ideas I've had:
1: I'm thinking of changing the AMLA requirements for some of the units that reach their level cap early.
2: I'm considering adding a new fighter type unit, as there are very few solid melee fighters at this time (though arguably this is actually a good thing since it keeps the faction balanced).
dontano

Post by dontano »

Melon wrote:1: I'm thinking of changing the AMLA requirements for some of the units that reach their level cap early.
Well, usually I keep my AMLA units' base EXP to 100, so that you can also identify what experience modifier you used in a random game. Sounds good, IMO.
Melon wrote:2: I'm considering adding a new fighter type unit, as there are very few solid melee fighters at this time (though arguably this is actually a good thing since it keeps the faction balanced).
Can you tell us more?
Melon

Post by Melon »

dontano wrote:
Melon wrote:2: I'm considering adding a new fighter type unit, as there are very few solid melee fighters at this time (though arguably this is actually a good thing since it keeps the faction balanced).
Can you tell us more?
I'm still bouncing the idea around in my head somewhat. Basically I want to add a strong front line melee fighter for the faction. Like most of the other Yokai, it will do lots of damage but have little health. I currently have two idea for what that unit could be (Though I currently favor the first one as it adds more flavor to the faction in my opinion):

1: Demonspawn:
The male counterpart to the Feyborn, the Demonspawn are likewise born of both human and Yokai blood. However their powers grow in a very different manner then those of the Feyborn. While the Feyborn develop mastery over all things sacred and spiritual, the Demonspawn become masters of the secular and the material. As the Demonspawn age they gain superhuman strength and develop beastly features, not unlike those of the Feyborn.
Role: The Demonspawn are front line melee fighters capable of dealing heavy impact damage to their foes. They start at level 1 when purchased.
Possible promotion ideas: Oni, Inugami, Okami, Tanuki, Nekomata, Tengu (male version)

2: Imp:
Mischievous forest demons that sometimes become familiars to powerful wizards.
Role: Imps have high defense and deal a fair bit of bladed damage with their claws. They start at level 0 when purchased, but are relatively cheap and promote quickly.
Possible promotion ideas: Familiar, Ukobach, Kappa, Tanuki, Leprechaun
cretin

Post by cretin »

well how much would it upset the balance to add either of these units?
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Hey melon, I have an idea--take tenguu out of the feyborn line, and make a new unit tree of:

unformed tenguu-->raven tenguu (Karasu tenguu)
------------------>longnose tenguu (Hanadaka tenguu)-->Tenguu Oni

the hanadaka would be the more fighterly line, wheras the karasu would be more auxiliary (faster, weaker)

that's my folklore obsessed recommendation ^_^
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
dontano

Post by dontano »

In my Japan Era, I have a human unit called Tengu, too. He's part of the Nobles' faction, and his primary weapons are a war fan and a katana. In my head, he resembles more like Lord Shingen Takeda... maybe, because of his affinity to military strategy and his characteristic kabuki lion-like helmet. Whatever...

The Inugami (roughly translated as "dog god") is believed to bring good fortune and success to several regions of Japan, just like the fox (Kitsune). The method of his born, however, it's somewhat brutal and kinda creepy... An Inugami is believed to be created by burying a dog up to its neck and placing food around it, which it cannot reach. When the dog dies, its spirit transforms into an Inugami and he would start to eat the food around its corpse (as eating was its death wish), in order to be obedient to its master. The only thing that I don't know, it's how it should be put into a level-up tree... :|

Most of the Demonspawns that you listed are in majority, god-like animals. Nekomata/Bakeneko = monster cat; Tanuki = Raccoon-like; Inugami = Dog; Ōkami = Japanese wolf. I really don't know how to help you in creating some balanced units' trees. Maybe you can start with non-pure Lv1 animals, and then transform them into pure Lv3 creatures, like for example: a lv1 Hound becomes a lv2 Hungry dog, which becomes a lv3 Inugami. Sumthin' like that... just suggestions. :)

As for the Imps, you could include them into your Demonspawns as an allied faction (like the Saurians with the Drakes), rather than a single faction. The reason? It could be very similar to the Devlings in everything. I would personally choose the Kappa, and the Leprechaun.
Melon

Post by Melon »

Keep in mind Dontano that I'm not fully basing my faction on mythology. For example my version of the Kitsune is reversed in the sense that rather then having an animal transform into a human, I have a human that develops animal features. I thought that the Inugami and Tanuki were a good idea in the sense that they are aesthetically similar to the Kitsune in the Feyborn tree. If I'll incorporate the Demonspawn into the faction, I want it to be somewhat of a mirror image to the Feyborn, since they are essentially a male version of that unit.

Imps could also be interesting, but I feel that ultimately they may be more difficult to balance and are far too similar to the devlings (The second of these two problems is easier to fix, as I can just draw them in some sort of a less conventional fashion). The idea of adding a leprechaun as a unit is interesting, since it could be given some sort of a unique ability that generates wealth.
cretin wrote:well how much would it upset the balance to add either of these units?
Ideally it should fix some of the balancing issues this faction has rather then create new ones. But it's hard to truly foresee what implications this will bring in the long run.
Melon

Post by Melon »

Here's part 1 of the balancing changes I'll be introducing. It does not feature a new unit (yet), but it does change some of the units vital statistics.

Some of the more notable changes are as follows:
-Spriggan tree is cheaper and can only use their melee attack in retaliation now.
-Renamed Shroomkin to Leshi.
-Tengu are now penalized in caves just as all the other fliers.
-Poltergiest unit tree suffered a few revisions.
-Mandragora damage is now considered magical but there is less of it.
-Kodama got powered down due to their already powerful ability.

Hopefully I'll be able to find some time to finish part 2 of the rebalancing update soon. I already started working on the melee unit, but I'm not going to say what it is just yet.
Attachments
Yokai for EE 0.03.zip
(312.62 KiB) Downloaded 654 times
JW

Post by JW »

Melon wrote:The new version seems fairly well balanced as far as I can tell, I'd still like to hear some playtester commentary on it though. But more importantly I'd like to hear from whoever is still interested in having the faction included in their eras or campaigns. Though originally it was supposed to be a part of the Era of Myth, I have no idea if the EoM crew is still interested in it to any sort of extent.

In completly unrelated news I tried drawing a portrait, though I honestly doubt that I'll ever get around to making one for every single member of this faction.
I always liked your work, but I really still can't get around the girl with the innertube. Of course, I'm not in charge of the EOM anymore anyway. IDK what's been going on in that regard, but I haven't seen any updates from the main thread.
Melon

Post by Melon »

It's a little latecoming, but here it is anyways: Yokai for EE 1.10.

I won't include a changelog this time around since there's far too many changes in this version for me to keep track of. Just play it for what it is and hopefully you'll enjoy it!
Attachments
Unit Tree.png
Yokai for EE 0.10.zip
(432.78 KiB) Downloaded 634 times
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

The shrooms look way too similar, imo. Especially the lvl0 and smaller lvl1.
(and calling antropomorphic mushrooms Leshi is kind of weird, too...)

Great work anyways, the gorgons look especially good.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Congratulations on a job well done.

Putting something like this together is always an achievement. I look forward to trying them out soon... Once I get some free time.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
cobra

Post by cobra »

Very cool. Keep up the good work! :D
Thank you President Bush
Ask not what wesnoth can do for you, but what you can do for wesnoth.-cobra