Rise of Empires Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

St.John

Post by St.John »

sorry guys maybe im just being stupid
how do you advance ages?
or is this still really really in progress?
all i can do is build farms and mines and chop trees and such
even once i have enough to build a colony, i still couldnt for some reason
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

And there I thought I was the only one who was obviously too stupid to figure it out :roll:
I tried this era once with the same problem: Only options I could find were to build/destroy farms and mana buildings (with no idea what to use mana for or how to check how much I have gathered), terraform landscape and create a colony. However, creating colonies did not work (after choosing "create a colony" and pressing "OK" (or whatever it is), the window did not even disappear and cancel was selected). I had a look at the .cfg's and could not figure out why it was not working - I tried removing all conditions for creating a colony, which made it work, but then no unit could do anything with the colony...
In the end, I decided to just wait and hope it would sort itself out (perhaps some problems with the version of Wesnoth I used, or something like that...)
Dante_Mephisto

Post by Dante_Mephisto »

No, you're not being stupid! I don't think anyone but Sarudak completely understands how everything in this era works.
Just a guess, but did the maps you played on have cave villages right by your base? They're needed for the era to run properly - they're your capital cities. I think the only maps that currently work are the ones that start with ROE_2p ... like ROE 2p_Isthmus, etc. It won't work with the other maps, as they don't have the needed cave village. If the cave village seems random, it is... it was the only remaining village tile =P. I'm working on a replacement.

Sarudak, I've added some things and adjusted the file roe_worker_options.cfg. I've beta tested, and it seems to work.

Change log:
Elves can no longer build farms. Elves can now build Elvish Estates (using the elvish castle tile) on forest hexes. Elves can upgrade their starting forts to Elvish Castles and an Elvish Keep.
Northern Alliance can now upgrade their forts to Outlaw Castles and Keeps (using the ruined-castle images).
Drakes and Loyalists can now upgrade their forts to Castles and Keeps.
Undead can now upgrade their forts to Undead Castles and Keeps (swamp-castle tiles).
No change to the orcs... BTW, orcs can't recruit anything right now, I don't know why.

I'm going to try and mod your farming again to use Elvish estates like farms, except use forest terrain instead of farmland. I don't know if it's possible because it's not a village hex and I see lots of variables with the word village in them =P... trying to figure out each one's function. I'll let you know if I can get it to work.

Let me know if you like the changes and would like to implement them.
Dante
Attachments
roe_worker_options.cfg
(22.4 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
St.John

Post by St.John »

yeah, played on isthemus
with multiple empires
and i guessed that was the capitol,
so i figured, maybe i cant build colonys close?
but that didnt work
so then i thought
maybe i need a road there
and that didnt work
so i dunno
ill definately watch the progress of this
looks like it'll be a LOAD of fun :)
Sarudak

Post by Sarudak »

Hey everyone. Sorry I haven't been on in a while. It's nice to see the interest in my mod. I haven't done any work on RoE and may not for a while. I just started working full time and right now I'm working 8 hours and spending 4-5 on the bus every day... Needless to say it's quite tiring... If I had a laptop I could work on it on the bus... (Anyone want to buy me one? Lol Jk) but as it is I don't really have much of any time to do anything before I get home and once I do I just wanna chill for a while and sleep... :P

As far as your questions go. Building a colony is to build ANOTHER capital (you should already have one) and it costs a whole heck of a lot of gold (probably why building it didn't work). The purpose of building a capital is to build city districts which can be upgraded to marketplaces, universities, blacksmiths, or temples. Build a road tile connected to a capital that you own and you should then be able to build a village on any tile adjacent to that road tile.

Advancing ages is done by your leader at a university after you get enough culture. Culture is aquired through marketplaces.
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

Okay, now that we've started with this:
How do you actually do anything with your capitol? Which unit is supposed to be able to build city districts in the capitol? When I tried, no unit (not the leader, not the worker, not the warrior, not the mage) could do anything but destroy it. I had a look at the cfgs once and found quite a few options that were either not there or not working, so another question: which version of Wesnoth is this era supposed to work with? I've tried with 1.3.16 and 1.3.19
Sarudak

Post by Sarudak »

No... It's not like that. You don't build city districts IN the capital. You build city districts AROUND the capital. There is absolutely nothing that you can do at the capitol currently. To build a city district build a road NEXT to the capitol and then you can build city districts next to the road.
Sarudak

Post by Sarudak »

Hey everyone. Big plans ahead. I've liked a lot of the things that I've done with Rise of Empires but I keep getting frustrated by where it's going, I feel like the game tends to get bogged down still, especially later in the game, and I think it loses alot of the tactical aspect that makes Wesnoth the great game that it is. So I'm gonna be re-working the whole thing. I'm gonna be discarding much of it's ANL roots and things are going to be more map/scenario oriented. I want things to be more streamlined and easier on the player. To do this is actually gonna mean things are more complex from a developer standpoint but that's fine.

I want to deemphasize the amount of time and energy the player needs to spend working on the economic aspect of the game. To this end I'm changing cities such that they cannot be built. The number and location of cities will be defined by the map. And each city will be inhabited by a specific race and will have it's own population stat. Populations and thus cities will grow dynamically and to build farming villages or mines will kill your pioneer unit (replacing peasants as the worker unit) which requires population to make. But taking all your population from your cities to build farming villages is not a good idea because you need high population cities to increase your city development that lets you build the more powerful units.

The game will also be more map oriented.So if you want to make a map for Rise of Empires you're going to need to understand WML fairly well... There will be a variety of special hexes that will have special effect but you'll need to understand how to tag them in your scenario file. Mines will need to be build on Gold or Ore deposits.

Research si going to be much less important than it was previously. Each level of research will boost production by something like 10%. And city development will be an important factor also. Probably more important. Because each city is limited in how large it can grow, choosing which developments you want will be a big priority. Also production will be boosted at start so that the start game goes quicker. But the amount of gold you are making will not increase nearly as much from start game to end game like it did previously.

Another change will be the races. Instead of choosing a faction you will choose you leaders race and probably his class too. And as your leader develops he will branch into different classes with different traits that will not only affect his combat ability but also other aspects of the game such as production domestically and potentially the types of units you can produce. And since each city on the map will be populated by a certain race that more than the race of your leader determines what kind of units you can recruit there. You may need to worry about race relations too. A human capturing an orc city may require a great deal of negotiation before being able to recruit orcish units.

Additionally I'm going to be redoing most of the units somewhat from scratch.I'm not really planning on changing them that much but some units will be a bit weaker or stronger depending on the difficulty in getting them and some units will have multiple versions as you increase in your technology and development.

Ok. More later. I have to work now.
Sarudak

Post by Sarudak »

More major changes. Work on cities Upgrading them) will be done without requiring any kind of builder unit. However you will need a hero/leader unit to be there in order to function as a governor type role if you want to take an active hand in managing the city.

Which brings me to hero units. Hero units can be created by your leader and will also have interesting branching development paths. However any benefits they give will be local as opposed to the global potential of your leader. You may get some that give a benifit to any city they stay in. As well as some that have some limited recruitment options. Heros will often also give significant buffs to adjacent units depending on the development path you have them follow.

Blacksmiths and temples will remain but in a somewhat altered form. I haven't quite determined exactly what the differences will be but not all temples will be the same. And different blacksmith may differ too (for example a blacksmith in a dwarven city will offer more and better upgrades than one in an orcish city)
Coaxke

Re: Rise of Empires Era

Post by Coaxke »

sounds alot like Civilization to me.... i like it :D
Please click here to apply for a Computer-Aided Enrichment Center program. Message me if you need help following the simple, on-screen instructions.

Projects I'm currently working on:
  • Warlords
  • WesCiv (delayed)
  • WesCol (delayed)
Coaxke

Post by Coaxke »

also, what does a Marketplace do?
Please click here to apply for a Computer-Aided Enrichment Center program. Message me if you need help following the simple, on-screen instructions.

Projects I'm currently working on:
  • Warlords
  • WesCiv (delayed)
  • WesCol (delayed)
Sarudak

Post by Sarudak »

Marketplaces allow city districts connected to them by road to produce commerce gold and culture.
gamenappster

Post by gamenappster »

I like the concept but you have to be careful in balancin the blacksmith and structures like that (specially with those uber wepons you mention) because that could make the campaign too easy (or too hard) and take the fun away from it. I´d suggest you make them kind of "rewards" after beating a special mission or choosing a specific path (like good or evil). :geek:
Yes im from Ecuador, and im proud of it.
Sarudak

Post by Sarudak »

Yes that could definitely be true in a campaign but currently this is just for multiplayer. A campaign would probably have a bit different mechanics to it.
Sarudak

Post by Sarudak »

To Dante: Sorry I didn't reply to your ideas. THe idea of making it possible for people to upgrade their forts seems nice but of what valoue is it to the player? The defense is the same. I'm not gonna add in an option that costs gold but has no real value. As far as the elves using the elvish forts to farm the big problem is that they aren't villages so no one owns them. And if no one owns them then the game doesn't know who the gold should go to...