RPG in wesnoth

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

romnajin

RPG in wesnoth

Post by romnajin »

I wrote a notepad full of notes on my ideas for a wesnoth mod in the car today, and I thought I'd clean them up and share them with you. I have a list of questions that I'll put at the bottom. They were written in the margins along with the relevant parts, but in the interest of cleaning it up I'll put them at the bottom.

Sorry for the hulk of a post, and thanks in advance for reading it if you do.

The mod involves different RPG system than any that I've seen in wesnoth(if there's one similar on the campaign server or in development please enlighten me). Basically you start with needing 10 experience to get from level 0 to level 1. Between every level except 1 and 0 there are 10 "sub-levels" to create a more marginal leveling system. These sub-levels require increasing amounts of experience to attain, every two sub-levels 5 more experience points are required, starting with 5 for the first one. Here's a table showing the values required for each(feel free to skim it is rather large).

Code: Select all

Level 0         10
Level 0 Total 10
Overall Total 10

Level 1         5
         Sub 1  5
         Sub 2  10
         Sub 3  10
         Sub 4  15
         Sub 5  15
         Sub 6  20
         Sub 7  20
         Sub 8  25
         Sub 9  25
         Sub10 30
Level 1 Total 190
Overall Total 200

Level 2          30
          Sub 1  35
          Sub 2  35
          Sub 3  40
          Sub 4  40
          Sub 5  45
          Sub 6  45
          Sub 7  50
          Sub 8  50
          Sub 9  55
          Sub10 55
Level 2 Total  450
Overall Total  650

Level 3          60
          Sub 1  60
          Sub 2  65
          Sub 3  65
          Sub 4  70
          Sub 5  70
          Sub 6  75
          Sub 7  75
          Sub 8  80
          Sub 9  80
          Sub10 85
Level 3 Total  785
Overall Total  1435

Level 4         85
         Sub 1  90
         Sub 2  90
         Sub 3  95
         Sub 4  95
         Sub 5  100
         Sub 6  100
         Sub 7  105
         Sub 8  105
         Sub 9  110
         Sub10 110
Level 4 Total  985
Overall Total 2415

Level 5
AMLA
If you see any typos let me let know, obviously that's a helluva lot of experience, but in most campaigns you probably end up getting nearly that much total, this is just all being spent on one unit. I do plan on stealing some of Baufo's dwarvish treasure WML, namely the gain one MP and attack after kill thing. I also plan on throwing a LOT of units at your character, giving plenty of experience.

The basic way the leveling system works is that for every sub level you can increase 1 basic stat(not by one point, just 1 stat at a time), this will include attack damage(ranged or melee), health, resistance, and defense. At each main level you will be able to choose 3 more advance stats. These will include number of strikes, movepoints, or greater amounts of the basic stats(possibly double?). Additionally, one more ability or attack special(I plan on including every one in the game, except slow, see below). I need some help determining more precise stats for each of these, as I'm not sure exactly what numbers to use, mainly because I originally planned to just have a straight 10 xp requirement for every sub-level, but considering that a level 3 kill would get you two levels, I decided to have the huge increasing system showed above.

At level 1, you are given the choice of your "class" which includes the Mage, Warrior Thief, Archer, and Heavy(placeholder name).

The Mage can choose to specialize in either Fire, Cold, or Lightening. Fire damage is the most "safe" and has medium damage, and medium number of strikes. Cold has the lowest damage, but has the "Slow" Special(which is why it's not available to at levels). Lightening damage has a low number of strikes(probably something something like 2), but does the most overall damage.

The Warrior can advance to the Knight, who is gains speed and armor, but not as much damage. The Blade(think deulist line) has the most damage, but the worst health. Not sure what to name the last one, but it fits along the line of the swordsman.

The other two are a little harder too think of advancements for, but I'll get back to you.

The campaign is going to be a non linear one. After the first scenario, you are given a map level which is a shrunk down version of the game world with level locations denoted by tiles with labels. I plan to have upwards of 10 different locations on the map(I'll probably add more non-storyline locations as I go along).

I wrote a short storyline synopsis, but in it's current state it would probably be more of an embarrassment to be than anything else, but I'll convey some scenario ideas.

As a midway point, there will be a large range of impassable mountains spanning the map, with a cave entrance on either side, inside the cave there will be a lot of high level creatures inside that will prevent people from accesing that part of the game too early.

For the final boss, I plan on having him "split" every time he is "killed" he'll start as a level 5, and when he is killed, 3 level 4s will spawn. When the level 4s are killed, 3 level 3s are spawned for both of them(9 total). When they are killed 3 level 2s will spawn from each of their corpses(27 total). When each of them is killed 3 level 1s will spawn from each of their corpses(81 total). 3 level 0s will spawn from each of their corpses(243 total). Of course, with an implementation of Dwarvish Treasures 1 mp per kill system, a lot of them can be killed in 1 turn, as by then you character should be very powerful.

I have some more ideas, but that's good for now.

I haven't started mostly because I'm waiting for these questions to be answered.

Finally my questions

1. Can a different name be specified only for the advancement screen? ie the at level up it would read "Increase HP", but once you actually got in game it would still say "Warrior"(or whatever your class is. It would be somewhat annoying to have to scroll down a large list of "Warrior" searching for the specific stat that you want, needing to read descriptions for some of them.

2. Instead of making a new unit for each of the sublevels, can an something more sane be used, that could be used for everything. Instead of making hundreds of units per level(for every possible combination, would it be possible to specify a macro or something WMLish that would allow me to just make one unit for every sublevel of every class, and have each of them all have the same 10 advancements.

3. Related to question 2. In MP scenarios, purchased upgrades carry through levels, along with items, how is is that done?

4. Can player made name changes for a character carry through into dialog or do they all have to be preset?

5. Can tiles other than keeps be start locations?

6. Is there a way for one scenario to have multiple start locations based on the preceding scenario, for example on the main map. In just writing, not code, this would be something like: "If previous scenario was "id" then start location is defined as "x,y"

That's all for now, if you can believe it, I've been writing this for more than an hour and have work to do now that isn't fun, so thanks for the read.

Oh yeah one last thing,

Poll
are you

Not interested at all, and think it's a bad idea

Not interested, but it's an ok idea

Interested in playing

Really interested

Interested in helping in some way

Ok now for real, the end, thanks again for reading it if you did.
Sorry for the meaningless post
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I haven't read this all the way through yet, but my initial reaction is that it looks like a good idea -- and a bit more like a traditional RPG than past Wesnoth RPG's have been. I would be interested in playing this.
TheLost1

Post by TheLost1 »

oh absolutely.

this is excellant
The dragons are all colour-coded,
Some consider this system outmoded.
This was not preordained
Gary Gygax explained,
"My box of Crayolas exploded."
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Cool. This is maybe just a little like Zookeeper's campaign, Return of the Legion, where your main character doesn't raise levels until he can go to the Elven Counsil. Until then, every time he reaches max exp, he can increase a stat or learn a skill. I can't answer your questions directly but I looking at that campaign should give you some clues.
Inigo Montoya

Re: RPG in wesnoth

Post by Inigo Montoya »

romnajin wrote:1. Can a different name be specified only for the advancement screen? ie the at level up it would read "Increase HP", but once you actually got in game it would still say "Warrior"
Use AMLAs instead, if you specify more than one available AMLA then you get a choice which works exactly the same as the "which unit should I advance to?" screen.
2. Instead of making a new unit for each of the sublevels, can an something more sane be used, that could be used for everything. Instead of making hundreds of units per level(for every possible combination, would it be possible to specify a macro or something WMLish that would allow me to just make one unit for every sublevel of every class, and have each of them all have the same 10 advancements.
In a word, yes. Once again, use AMLAs rather than actually advancing to a new unit, and a variable to track the unit's sub-level if necessary.
3. Related to question 2. In MP scenarios, purchased upgrades carry through levels, along with items, how is is that done?
Not too sure about this one, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out (alternatively, ask Baufo!)
4. Can player made name changes for a character carry through into dialog or do they all have to be preset?
If the WML for the dialog is made to reference user_description rather than description, it will use whatever the unit's name currently is (the name that is affected by Rename Unit)
5. Can tiles other than keeps be start locations?
Technically, no. But you can use a prestart event to either change the terrain to something other than a keep, or [teleport] the unit to a different location.
6. Is there a way for one scenario to have multiple start locations based on the preceding scenario, for example on the main map.
I've not tried this, but it sounds like it should work.
[if]
#variable has value 'a'
[then]
[side]
#define the player side, with one possible location
#close all tags opened above
[else]
[if]
#variable has value 'b'
[then]
[side]
#define the side exactly the same, except a different location
#close tags
etc etc etc

I'd be very happy to help with WML for this if you need it, as you've remarked elsewhere I'm rather busy but I can always find at least a little time for ionteresting projects.
I don't exist when you don't see me...
I don't exist when you're not here.

You bought a mask - I put it on.
You never thought to ask me if I wear it when you're gone.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: RPG in wesnoth

Post by zookeeper »

Inigo Montoya wrote:
6. Is there a way for one scenario to have multiple start locations based on the preceding scenario, for example on the main map.
I've not tried this, but it sounds like it should work.
[if]
#variable has value 'a'
[then]
[side]
#define the player side, with one possible location
#close all tags opened above
[else]
[if]
#variable has value 'b'
[then]
[side]
#define the side exactly the same, except a different location
#close tags
etc etc etc
No no, that won't work. [if] doesn't work in [scenario]. You can do what you asked about, but you just have to do the whole choosing-of-the-starting-location logic in a prestart event (by moving the unit to another starting location based on what the player has done in previous scenarios), or alternatively create multiple variations of the scenario (which would probably be the worse option).
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

I've made the map map, it's not totally finished, there are still some unneeded spots of grassland, but it's a start.(sorry for the size, if too obtrusive, please delete.

[commented-map]
ssssssssssssssssscssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
ssssssssssssscs[c[ccssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
scssssssssscc[c[[[[[ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
cXccsssss[c[[[[[l[[cssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssscccccssssMsssssss
X'XXcsccc[[[l[[[[[[csssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssscdMMMMcsssssssssss
XuuXXX[X[[[[[[[[[mmcsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssMsssscdddTMccssssssssss
XuuuXuXuuXXX[l[[[m&&scssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssccccddMcssssssssss
XXuuuuuuuuuu[[[mm&&msdccsccsMssssssssMssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdcdccsssssssssss
[XXXuuuuu[[[[[mmm&&mmmddcdccsccsscsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssscsssssssssssss
[[XXuuuuu[[[[[m&&&&mmmmmdmddcJccccccssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
[[[[Xuuu[[[l[mm&&&mmmmmmmmmmdgJJMdccccccscccsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssMssssssssssssss
[[[[XX[[[[[[[m&&&mmmmhmhmhmmhmggggdJJJddcJMcsssMssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
[[[[[[[[[[[[mm&mmmmmhfhhhfhhmmmmgfggMgggdgJcsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdssssssss
cc[[[[[[[[[[m&&&mmmhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmhmghgmghddccccssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssMMMsssssss
sc[[[[[[[m[mm&&mmmmhHSSShhhhfhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmdddcsssssssssssssssssssssssMssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
sscc[[l[[mm&&&&mmmmhHSSSSShghghhhhmmmm&&mmmmmhdcssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
sssc[[[[[m&&&&mmmhhiSSSSSSSSSSgghfhhmmmm&&mmmhddcsssscsssssssssssssssssssssssssssMsssssssssssssdddss
ssssc[mmm&&&&mmmmHhSiSHHHSSSSSgggggghmmmmmmmmhhdcdcccccssssssssssssssssssssssssssMsssssssssssddTTdss
sssscmm&&&&mmmmhHHhSiiSSSSSHSSggggggggmmmmmmmmhgdgddddcssssssssssssssssssssssssssMsssssssssssdTdcsss
sssscmm&&&&mmmmHHhhSSiSSFSSSSSgSSgggggggmmmmmmhhggggdMcsscssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdsssss
ssssscm&&mmmmhhHHhSSSFiiiiSSSSSgggggggfgggmhmmmmmhgggdcccJccssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
sssssc&&&mmmmHHhhSSSFSSSFiSSHSSSgggghgfggggghhmmmmhfgdcJJsMcssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
ssssss&mmmmmhhhSSSSSHFSSSiFSSSSSSgghhffggggghhhhmmmhhgddccssssssssssssssssssssMsssssssssssssssssssss
ssssssccmcchhggSSSSSSHSSSSiiSFSSggghmgggggggghhhhmmmhhghddccscscccssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
ssssssssccdJgggSSgSSSHSSFSSiSSSSgggghggfhggggghghhmmmmhhhfddcdcJMMcsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
ssssssssccddJdggggggSSSSSSSiSgSSSggghgghmhggggggfhmmmhmmmmmgdgdgJJccsMssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
ssssssssccccddddggggSSSSSgScggggSgghhgggggggggffhmmhhgggfgggggggddcJccssscssssssssssssssssssssssssss
sssssssssccccdddggggSSggggggccggSggggggfggggghhmmhhgggggggggggggggddJcsccJccccssssssssssssssssssssss
ssssssssssccccddggggggggggggggcgggghmgghgfccghmhhgggggggghghggggggggddcJJgggggc//ssssssssMssssssssss
ssssssssssccccddggggggggggggggccgghgmghgggcggghgggggfgfgghmghgggffggggdgggggggggcsssssssssssssssssss
ssssssssssccccddddggggggggggggggccgcgghgggggggggfgggfffggghgffghggggggggggggggggcssssssMssssssssssss
sssdssssssscccccddddggggggggghghhgcgccccgfgggdggffgggggcgcggffghhggfggggggggggggccssssMsssssssssssss
sMMMdsssssssccccccdddgggfggggghhhhggggggccccccddgggggggcggggfgghhggfgggggggfgfffccssssssssssssssssss
ssMJdssssssssccccccdddggggghgfhmmhggggggfgfgggccccfgggcgggggfffggffggggggffffhhhcsssssssssssssssssss
ssssssssMsssssccccccddJMggghhhhhhfggggggggggggggggccfcggffgggfggggghggggfffghccccsssssssssssssssssss
ssssssssssssssssccccccddJgghmhfghhhggggggfggggggggfgcgccccccgggggmhmgggggffghcssssssssssssssssssssss
ssssssssssssssssssccccddghhhhggfgggggggcccgfffgggfggggggfgffccfggghcgggggffddcssssssssssssssssssssss
sssssssssssssssssssccccdggggggggggggfgfcccgghfgggfgggggfgggfccfggmhccggggffdccssssssssssssssssssssss
ssssssssssssssssMssccccdJJgggghhggggggcccchghggfgggggcgfggggfcgggghhmggffffhccssssssssssssssssssssss
ssssssssZssssssssssccccdMdJdggggghhfhghhchhggggggggggcgggfgggcggggggggffffgJcsssssssssssssssssssssss
sssssssssssssssssscccccddddddgggfffggggggfggggggcgcccggcgfgggcgggfgggfff?fgdcsssssssssssssssssssssss
ssssssssssssssssssssssccccdddgggfggggfggffhgggghggggggggggfgggccfffffffffggJhsMsssssssssssssssssssss
sssssssssssssZsssssssMssscdddgggggggfggggggcggfhfhggggcccggggffcfgfffffgghhJcsssssssssssssssssssssss
sssssssssssMsssssssssssscccddggggfgggffgfggcccggfggggfgcgggffffcffffgffgghmJssssssssssssssssssssssss
ssssssssssMMsssssssssssccccddJgggghggggggccgggcgghgggggggffffffccgtgfgfggJJcssssssssssssssssssssssss
sssssssssMMddssssssssscccccdddJggggggggfggggffggghhggggffffffggfctggtgffgdcsssssMsssssssssssssssssss
sssssssMMMdsssssssssssccccccddJggggfggggggfgggfggggfgffff?fffffgcgggggggdccsssssssssssssssssssssssss
sssssssMMMdsssssssssssccccccdgggggggggfggffgggggfffffffgffffffffcfffffffdcssssssssssssssssssssssssss
sssssssssssssssssssssssccccddggggggggggggggghghhggfffgggfgfgggggcgggggggddcsssssssssssssssssssscssss
sssssssssssssssssssssssccc\ddgggggggggfggggfgggghggfffggffffffffccfffffffJcsssssssssssssssssscccssss
ssssssMMsssssssssMssscJcc\cddgggggggggggfgggggfgggggffffgfff?fffgfccfffffJcJssssssssssssssssscTcssss
sssssMMsssssssssssscccccccdddgggggggggggfhgggggffgggggffgffffffffggcggggggJcsssssssssssssssssscsssss
ssssssssssssssssssscccccc\dvgggvgggggggghgggfggfggfgggggfffffffgffggccgcggddccssssssssssssssssssssss
ssssssssssssssssscccMcccccdggggggggggggggfggggfggggffgggfgfgfgfffgggfgcgcggdccsssssMssssssssssssssss
sssssssssssMscscccccccccdcdgvgtKtgvggggghfgggggghhggfgggfffhggggggggggggccfcccccccssssssssssssssssss
sssssssssssssscccccccdccccdgggggtgggggggfgggfgghmhggghggfhgggggggggggggtvgcddddddcssssssssssssssssss
ssssssssscscsccccccdddddccdgggvgggggghggggggggghgggfgghgffgfffggggggggvgvggggghddcssssssssssssssssss
sssssssssccccccccddddggGdgccggggggggghhgggfgggggggggfghggfffffffffgggggfggggghhdcsssssssssssssssssss
sssssMsscccccccdddddgGGGGGggcggggggggggggggggffgggggffhggfffffffffffffggggghhddccsssssssssssssssssss
ssssMssccccccddddMJgGwGGwGghccgGggggghgggggggfgggggggggggfffff?fffff?ffgghggdccsssssssssssssssssssss
sssssssccccddddMMgggGGGGGGghggccGGgghghggggggggggggggggffffffffffffffffgghggdcssssssssssssssssssssss
sssssccdcddddgdggggGGGGwGgghgggGwcgcgggghgggggggggggggfgggfffffffffffffggghgddcsssssssssssssssssssss
ssssscdddddggggggggGwGGGGggghhggggccccggggggggggggggggffgfffgff?fffffgffgghhgdccssssssssssssssssssss
ssssssccdMddgdgggggGwGGGwGgggghhgggGwwccgghggGggggggggfff?fffffffffgffffffghggdMcsssssssssssssssssss
ssssssssccccddddgdgGwGGwGwGGgGgghhgGwwccggggGGgggghggggffffffffffggfff?fffghgggMccssssssssssssssssss
ssssssssssssccccdcdTGGwGwwwwGwGGghggGGwwcggGGwGGgghhghgfffffffggggffffffffggggggdcssssssssssssssssss
ssssssssssssssssccddTTTGGGGGwGwGghggGgGGccGwwcwGggghgggfffffffggggfffffffgghggggdcssssssssssssssssss
ssssssssssssssssssccdGGTGGGGGGwGGGgGgGggGwcccwcGggghgggf?ffffgggggff?ffggghghhhgddcsssssssssssssssss
ssssssssssssssssssscdGGTGgGGwGGwGGGGGGGwwwggccGggggghggfffffffffffffffffgggggggggdccssssssssssssssss
ssssssssssssssssssscdGTTTGGGwwGGwwwGwwwGGwggggccgggggggffggggffgggggffffffffgfgfggdcssssssssssssssss
ssssssssssssssssssscddGGGGGGGwGGGGwGwwGGGwgggggcGGGGGGggfffffgghhgggghggffgfffffffdcssssssssssssssss
ssssssssssssssssssssccddgTGGGGwGGwGGGwwwGGwggggcwwGGwGggfgfgfghgggfghgggggfgfgfgfffcssssssssssssssss
sssssssssssssssssssssscdGGTgGgGGGGwwGGwGGwwggggccwgGGgGgggggghhhgffghhgfggggggghggdcssssssssssssssss
ssssssssssssssssssssssccdGTGGGGGGwGGGwGGwGGgggggccwGgggghggghgggggggggggffggghghggddcsssssssssssssss
sssssssssssssssssssssssdMGGGwwwwGGwwGGGGwwGGgGggggcgggghghgghgggggggfghhggghhggghggdccscssssssssssss
ssssssssssssssssssssssscdddgGGdGGGGwGGGGGwGGGGGGGGccgghgggggggggggggggggggghgGgGggggddcdccccssssssss
ssssssssssssssssssssssssccdgGGGGGwGGGwGGwGwwGwwwwGwwcggggggggggggggggggggggGgGddGgggggdgddddcsssssss
ssssssssssssssssssssssssscdgGwGwwGGwGwGGGgGGwGGGwGGGccgggggIgggggggIgIgggGGIGIIdGGgGgggGGIIdccccssss
ssssssssssssssssssssssssscddGGwGGwGGGwGggGGGGgGGGGgggcwdggIGIggggGIGGGIGGGGIIIJJddGGGGgGIJIIddddccss
sssssssssssssssssssssssssscdGGGGGGwwwGGgGGwGgGGwGGggggccddggIGgGGcGGcGIGIIIIIIIIJJdIIIGGIJIIIIIIddcc
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssscdggGGGGGGGGggGwwGqwqwGGGggccccgggcGccwcIGGGIIIIIIIIIIJdIIIGJJIIIIIIIIIdd
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssscddgGwGGGGGGGGGGGGwKwwGwGGggGwGcccwcGwIIIIIIJJIIIIIIIIIJIIJJIIIIIIIIIIIId
sssssssssssssssssssssssssssscdGGGwwwwGGwGGGGwqqwGwGgGGggGgGGwwwGIIIIIIMdJIIIIIIIIIMJJIIdddIIIIIIIIIc
sssssssssssssssssssssssssssscdggGGwwwwwGwwGGwwwGGwGgwwGGGGGGccGwIIIIIMJdIIIIIUIIIIIJIIIdcdIIIIIIIddc
sssssssssssssssssssssssssssscdgIGGGGGGwGwwwGGGGGGGGgGGwGGGwGggcwIIIIJIddIIIIIIPIIIMMIIIIdIIIIIIIIdcs
sssssssssssssssssssssssssssscdGIGIGGGwGGGwwwGGwGGgggggGGGGGGggccwwIIIdIIdIIIIIIIIIJIIIIIIIIIIIIGdccs
sssssssssssssssssssssssssssscdGGIIGIGGGwGGwGGwwGggggIgGGwGGggggdccdIIIdddIIIIIIIIIJIIIIIIMJJMJJddcss
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssccdGGIIIIIGGwGGGGGGggggggggGGGdGggggdcddIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMIIIIJJIIIGGdccsss
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssscdGGIIIIIGGGGGgggGggGGGGGGIGIIGGGggddcdIIIIIIIIIIIMMJJJIJMIIIIIGddcssss
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssscdGGIIIIIIIIGGGgGgGGIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGdGIGIIIJIJIJMMJIJIJIIIIIIGGdcsssss
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssscdIIMIIIIIIIIIIGIGIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGcGGIIJIMIMMJIIIIIIIIIIIIddccsssss
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssscdIIIJJMMIIIIIIIIIIIIIMJJIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGIGIIIIIJIIIIIIIIIIIIIdccsssssss
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssscdIIIJJJJMMIIIIIIIIIMMJJJMMJJJJIIIIIIGGIIIdIIIJIIIPIIIIIIIIIIdcssssssss
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssscddIIIIIIMPJJIMIIIJJMJITTJJMIIIJJIMIIIIIIdcddJMIIIIIIIIIdIdIIdcssssssss
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssccddIIIIIIIIJMJJJIJIIIIIIIIIIIIIJJJIIIIIdddJJIIIIIIIIddcdcdddcssssssss
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssccddIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGIIIIIdIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIdccsscdccsssssssss
sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssscdTTIIIIIIITIIIIIIIIIddddcddddddddddddddddIdIIIIdcssscdcssssssssss
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssccdGTdIIITIIIddddddddccccsccccccccccccdcccdcddIddcsssscsssssssssss
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssscdddcdddddddccccscccssssssssssssssssssssssscdddcsssssssssssssssss
sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssscccscccccccssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssscccccsssssssssssssssss
[/commented-map]

Sorry for the map, but this eats too much CPU (a few minutes to display this thread :(). Feel free to delete it/replace it with a screenshot/whatever...

Noyga
Last edited by romnajin on January 23rd, 2007, 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

to be true RPG, it needs an island big enough for a subquest... :)

nice idea
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Here's my SL macros, but some reason they're not working(sorry I frankly do not have time to annotate right now, I need to study for my Japanese final on Friday.

#this file contains macros for Sub Level Advancement

#macro to define SL adding HP
#define SL_HP
[advancement]
strict_amla=no
max_times=10
id={SL_HP}
description= _ "Max HP bonus +" {HP_ADVANCE} _", MAX XP +25%"
icon="misc/icon-amla-tough.png"
image="misc/icon-amla-tough.png"
[effect]
apply_to=hitpoints
increase={HP_ADVANCE}
increase_total={HP_ADVANCE}
[/effect]
[effect]
apply_to=max_experience
increase=5
[/effect]
[effect]
apply_to=hitpoints
increase_total=0%
heal_full=yes
[/effect]
[/advancement]
#enddef

#macro to define SL adding attack damage
#define SL_Attack
[advancement]
strict_amla=no
max_times=10
id={SL_Attack}
description= _ "Attack Increase"
[effect]
apply_to=attack
increase_total=2
heal_full=yes
[/effect]
[effect]
apply_to=max_experience
increase=5
[/effect]
[/advancement]
#enddef
I used the following lines in unit config files
advance to=null
{SL_HP}
{SL_Attack}

Comments welcome.
Inigo Montoya

Post by Inigo Montoya »

]

#this file contains CORRECTED macros for Sub Level Advancement 

#macro to define SL adding HP 
#define SL_TOUGH [b]HP_ADVANCE[/b]
[advancement] 
strict_amla=no 
max_times=10 
id=[b]sl_tough[/b]
description= _ "Max HP bonus +" {HP_ADVANCE} _", MAX XP +5" 
[effect] 
apply_to=hitpoints 
increase={HP_ADVANCE} 
increase_total={HP_ADVANCE} 
[/effect] 
[effect] 
apply_to=max_experience 
increase=5 
[/effect] 
[effect] 
apply_to=hitpoints 
increase_total=0% 
heal_full=yes 
[/effect] 
[/advancement] 
#enddef 

#macro to define SL adding attack damage 
#define SL_STRONG [b]AMOUNT[/b]
[advancement] 
strict_amla=no 
max_times=10 
id=[b]sl_strong[/b]
description= _ "Attack Increase" 
[effect] 
apply_to=attack 
increase_[b]damage[/b]={AMOUNT} 
[/effect]
[b][effect] 
apply_to=hitpoints 
increase_total=0% 
heal_full=yes 
[/effect][/b]
[effect] 
apply_to=max_experience 
increase=5 
[/effect] 
[/advancement] 
#enddef 
:P

romnajin

Post by romnajin »

I put those new files into the game(thanks btw), however, they're still not working. I'm assuming that it's because of what I'm putting into the unit configs which is.

advanceto=null
	{HP_ADVANCE}
	{SL_STRONG}
Which is copied in format from

advanceto=null
	{AMLA_TOUGH 3}
When in action, the units using these macros simply do not level up. They'll show their experience as something like 22/2(that's what it was when I stopped playing, I set it at 2 just to quickly get some levels and test out the system.

Thanks as always.
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

I'm sorry I can't help with your problem there but...

I had been planning this kind of rpg stuff/campaign myself. I just had the leveling system planned much more boringly:
Level 0 => Tons of level 1 units from which one is chosen (sort of a class system) => Plenty of advancement possibilities for each level 1 class.... and so on.

Basically one helluva forky advancement tree. :oops:

Your plans are very interesting indeed and I would most certainly like to play it... and perhaps even aid you if I am able. :)
We'll just have to see about that, and probably I could only help with artistic stuff or mapmaking, since I'm not much of a WML-Wizard.

EDIT: My RPG-plan also had this "world map" system. My map, though, would've been something like 200x200 and have way too many locations to be healthy. :D
I wish I had more time in my hands.
Inigo Montoya

Post by Inigo Montoya »

If you're using my macros, put this in the unit file:

advanceto=null
{SL_TOUGH (x)}
{SL_STRONG (y)}
Replace X with the number of HP you want the unit to gain, and Y with the amount that you want to increase its damage by (remember to include the round brackets around the numbers)

Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Doesn't this belong in multiplayer development?
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

It's not a multiplayer experience, but a singleplayer one. However, scenario and campaign development would perhaps be more fitting. (I put it here because currently the purpose of the thread is to develop the units in it that are to be used for the campaign.