Help needed defining team rgb values for unit graphics

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jetrel

Re: Help needed defining team rgb values for unit graphics

Post by Jetrel »

Neoskel wrote:
Jetrel wrote:I gave neoskel the assignment of upgrading the archer's idle animation
Helmet hitting > helmet scratching.

*clunk clunk*
Committed. When it's something like this that you're posting an animated .gif of, you may as well post the .zip here, too. Spares you from having to separately PM me. :hmm:

Very good work, btw. :D

In other news, I finally fixed+committed that orcish crossbowman melee animation, and fixed his shadows too. Which is sweet because it means the orcs are basically finished for both the shadow cleanup and the animation upgrade project.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Glad I took comments into consideration and reworked this:
Attachments
highwayman-edit.png
highwayman-edit.png (1.97 KiB) Viewed 12261 times
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

The head of his mace seems to be at a slightly different angle than the haft. With regards to the attack animation, i think it should turn out different than the thug/bandit. It is a two-handed weapon after all. I think something like swinging a baseball bat would fit.

Oh yeah, it does look nice too. :wink:
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Bandit has been committed. I did a minor edit to neoskel's port of the graphics/animation - I gave him a sort of banded mace/club; sort of halfways between a wooden club and what the highwayman has above.

I'm kind of disliking the specific graphics we use for our archetypical maces (such as seen on the previous bandit, and the outlaw). Not the design, but just the specific graphics - especially the 'with the grain' haft, which I think kind of looks cheap. This is why I bothered to replace this.
Attachments
bandit.png
bandit.png (1.42 KiB) Viewed 12138 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

yet another bout of propagandization about why we 'block' animations. I have no idea if this animation is going to actually 'work' in-game, but if it doesn't, I'm only out 30 minutes, not 5 hours.

Here's hoping, though. :)
Attachments
highwayman-melee.gif
highwayman-melee.gif (6.58 KiB) Viewed 11928 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

As an animation in and of itself, the motion looks good, but without his feet moving he's going to glide...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:| Painfully overdue, and already committed:
Attachments
elf-lady-comp.png
elf-lady-comp.png (2.17 KiB) Viewed 11358 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

What's happening about the Sylph? The new one is wicked, I'd like to see it in.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

thespaceinvader wrote:What's happening about the Sylph? The new one is wicked, I'd like to see it in.
Soon, I hope; no change in plans, there.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Currently working on getting the wolves done; since it's a nice small project, it's a loose end I should be able to tie off fairly soon.

This is the new design for L2 goblin knight; L1 is almost completely animated, now, and will be committed as soon as I nail the last couple frames.
Attachments
wolfupdate.png
wolfupdate.png (2.7 KiB) Viewed 10995 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

I can't help but feel (always have, actually) that the GK's helm is a touch too white - it looks like plastic. Mayb e bronze or leather?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

thespaceinvader wrote:I can't help but feel (always have, actually) that the GK's helm is a touch too white - it looks like plastic. Mayb e bronze or leather?
I'm not going to have that be a blocker, mostly because I'm about done with the frames and want to truck forward with this.

Edit: committed the level-1 rider + riderless wolf.

However, although it personally looks fine to me, if you'd like to post a better one here and it gets a thumbs up, you can feel free to propagate it on the frames at will (keep an eye out for a couple frames where the head tilts down a touch and thereby is a pixel larger on the crown).

The other argument is that the whiteness is a good differentiator between this and the other units. The white could be any number of things (bleached white leather is actually quite common; most leather we're used to is only brown from being 'tanned'. Or it might be bone armor, or it might be paint - who knows.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

L2 goblin knight committed.

Gonna wait on the riderless one until ivanovic gives me the go-ahead, since it would introduce new strings into a string-freeze.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

If you want to have the art and code ready before 1.8 is released and trunk thawed, you can always create a new add-on hosted by the wesnoth-umc-dev project to use as a staging area. That's what was done with the Water Serpent (and others which did not make it to mainline for some reason, but are still used by several add-ons) before 1.6 was released IIRC.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Dire wolf. It's a bit big, but it is a level-3. I dunno, I'll "sleep on it", and do a comp with the grand knight, before I do the animations. Ideally it should have the same visual heft; if it's too big I'll tone it down.

Or maybe I'll just leave it - I don't know. It's definitely not human, it's more or less a pure-fantasy creature (a giant worg), so it may be fine to leave it massive. I'll think about it - I just want to forestall the obvious "OMG that's so huge" comments.
wolf-demo.png
wolf-demo.png (4.26 KiB) Viewed 10304 times
shadowmaster wrote:If you want to have the art and code ready before 1.8 is released and trunk thawed, you can always create a new add-on hosted by the wesnoth-umc-dev project to use as a staging area. That's what was done with the Water Serpent (and others which did not make it to mainline for some reason, but are still used by several add-ons) before 1.6 was released IIRC.

May or may not be necessary. We'll see.