Cavalry Base Sprites

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jetrel

Cavalry Base Sprites

Post by Jetrel »

I'm hoping to have the community et al give these a once-over on the base appearance before we commit them.
Attachments
Horseman-Line-Demo2.png
Horseman-Line-Demo2.png (29.66 KiB) Viewed 15599 times
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Jetrel

Re: Cavalry Base Sprites

Post by Jetrel »

Sleepwalker wrote:Here's the edits to the Cavalier, different but within the same style. :)
file.png
file.png (14.9 KiB) Viewed 15597 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Sleepwalker wrote:Hey I know you asked me too look at the Cavalier, but I was really tempted to do my take on the Paladin and shake the foundations a bit so to speak. A total remake giving a new feel to the unit, perhaps deserving of a paladin... :P Hmm looking at it now it looks a little unbalanced backwards. Oh well, I might be worth fixing it if you like it.
file-1.png
file-1.png (7.51 KiB) Viewed 15596 times
I'm generally liking both of these - the balance issue is legit, but probably easily fixed.

Also, I'm hoping to have a base design up for the elven outrider soon.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

There's something weird about the curve in all their back right legs. It seems...too much, with too thin legs. Come to think of it, the front left legs also seem to have too much of a curve...
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

RE Sleepwalker's paladin, it looks like a really fat guy on a horse too small for him, at least to me :P But maybe that's just the bulky armor.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I also think that Sleepwalker's paladin is too heavy. A grand knight is slower than a knight by one point, but a paladin is not. The difference in armor and weight should show up in the sprite.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
lipk

Post by lipk »

The level 2 scout's shadow has the same "tooth" as the level 1's, but it doesn't seem to be justified there (on the first sprite, it's cast by the sword, isn't it?). If it's supposed to be caused by the feet, I think it should have a slightly different shape.

Also, is it intentional that not all shadows have the same color?
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

It's good to see some new spriting :)
One nitpick that I have concerns the front leg of the horses (although I don't know if horse baseframes are part the project here). Those legs have a forward bent that makes them look out of place on a horse, the legs of which I always pictured as very straight when the animal is standing still.

Also, maybe the elven riders are a little buff compared to their warrior kin
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

That is all good points, I've reworked the paladin with yours and some of my own's critique in consideration. I think it is much better now. :D

About the legs; that would have been good critique before the horseman was animated... :annoyed: If they are to be changed I'm not sure how much work it would take to change the animations too.

As for the different shadow colors; They should be the same... I think these might not be the latest iteration of the horseman line sprites, or at least that is the case for the lvl1. I attached the current base (note the different visor) and I changed the color of the shadow. I think the Knights helmet should be tweaked to better match the horseman.

Hmm, something I didn't see before is that the elvish riders hand is behind the sword?

I'll make some experimental edits later today. :)
Attachments
horsemen.png
horsemen.png (14.43 KiB) Viewed 15346 times
Paladin3.png
Paladin3.png (7.46 KiB) Viewed 15346 times
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Yeah, I don't think we're going to tweak the horse's legs - it's pretty minor.

As for the horseman base frame - yes, apparently it was an out-of-date one, and I just overlooked that because he's one of the particular ones which really isn't up for edits at this point.

The paladin is looking much nicer, now.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

In a pm from Crow_T:
One minor crit- he is holding the lance a bit far out, generally knights had a harness to set the handle in when at a rest position.
It makes sense something like that would exist but I have never seen it. It don't think it matters, but nevertheless I made a second version with the lance a bit closer. The lance itself is slightly altered too in both versions... I'm not sure which one is the best.

I made the arms of the elves slimmer and made some other edits to the rider... thoughts?
Attachments
Paladin4.png
Paladin4.png (8.52 KiB) Viewed 15236 times
tweakedriders.png
tweakedriders.png (17.43 KiB) Viewed 15236 times
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Sleepwalker wrote:It makes sense something like that would exist but I have never seen it. It don't think it matters, but nevertheless I made a second version with the lance a bit closer. The lance itself is slightly altered too in both versions... I'm not sure which one is the best.
Personally, I still prefer the original version where he's holding the lance further away from his body. It might not be as strictly realistic, but personally I find it more readable than the one where he's holding the lance closer to his body.

The elves look great. :) If I had to nitpick, I might mention that the level 2's (the unit's actual name escapes me at the moment) hat seems a bit overexposed compared to the other green areas of his clothing, but that might just be me...
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

I like the elves edits. :)

If I had to nitpick the Paladin...I still think the entire sprite looks too...fat, somehow...
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

The Cavalryman-line’s helmets’ eye-holes look bothersomely crooked to me, I expect because the line between them is perfectly vertical, while the our-right eye-holes are a pixel higher than the our-left eye-holes.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

how about a female elf scout? The scout is less of a warrior than the archer so i think female should be ok on that count.