Cavalry Base Sprites

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

vultraz
Developer

Re: Cavalry Base Sprites

Post by vultraz »

Is she wearing a corset? :hmm:
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

vultraz wrote:Is she wearing a corset? :hmm:
It looks to me like the same shirt that the male scout wears, but with a significantly lower neckline. Indeed it seems to me too emphasizedly low compared to the male’s, but a more immediately striking issue to me is the giant vivid cabbage from which the female scout appears to be sprouting.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

8680 wrote:
It looks to me like the same shirt that the male scout wears, but with a significantly lower neckline. Indeed it seems to me too emphasizedly low compared to the male’s, but a more immediately striking issue to me is the giant vivid cabbage from which the female scout appears to be sprouting.
An elf is not born to a father and a mother; elves are born from cabbages. Indeed any cabbage in the world of Wesnoth has a slight chance of being fertilized, that is, having an elf embryo within it - much like an egg might have a chicken within it. Some elves do not mature fully, and never detach from the cabbage into which they were born. Even these poor souls - unable to walk on their own for want of legs - are put to good use by the egalitarian elven society. They are given horses to ride, and they proudly serve as scouts for their brethren.

(it's a dress. And yes, a corset/armor/thingy to keep her tits from flapping about; i imagine it would be annoying to ride otherwise.)
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

8680 wrote:
The shirt on the males actually looks like armor and metal, where on the females it looks like cloth.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Vultraz: I'd wager it's because the horse is in a different angle exposing more of its side, which is part of my effort to personalize the horse with a different stance. Maybe you will think my Outrider is too thin for the same reason?

8680: Cavalry helmets: Well yeah it's vertical. There's nothing wrong with the perspective there. Personally I don't see how it is crooked.
Blarumyrran wrote:An elf is not born to a father and a mother; elves are born from cabbages.
:lol2:

A female would be fine from a lore perspective I agree. A dress might work if the sword was in a different position maybe. It's covering the foot and the dress looks kind of puffy right now and not quite fitting for a horse rider.

The way it looks to me is that the Scout has leather armor and the Rider has metal (mithril specifically I think).

I tweaked the units some more and made a suggestion for an Outrider... I dunno. Part of me really want to take the step further to personalize the horses like this, but I also know it will make animating them all less streamlined (also more fun :P ) later.
Attachments
riders.png
riders.png (15.26 KiB) Viewed 15071 times
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Those look great! :D Only nitpick I have is the sense of scale; for the lvl3, at least, the elf looks as big as the horse, whereas I thought horses were supposed to be bigger. If it's a thing done so the units are clearer, fine, but I though I'd point it out. Not a big deal, really. And I like the lvl3 horse's pose :)
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

dresses are particularly annoying when riding horses. Even in human society riding dresses were actually trousers with a buttoned flat that allowed to free the legs when riding.

Elves seems not to have probelms with females wearing trousers (see archer line etc...) so I would expect a female scout to wear trousers.
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I've committed base sprites for all the cavalry - elf scout line, human horseman and cavalryman lines.

They're still open to further tweaks, but we needed to get the ball rolling. I'm definitely thinking of porting some of the smoothness of the new foreleg rendering back to the other horses (I don't think it'll impact the animations significantly (with the possible exception of the bob anim), and it need not necessarily be done to the L1 horseman).

I did a little tweak to the paladin (spread the forelegs slightly), and a similar, deeper tweak to the elven outrider frame, which I thought was looking just a tad bit too ... uh .... fabulous. :roll:
Attachments
paladin.png
paladin.png (2.36 KiB) Viewed 14611 times
outrider.png
outrider.png (4.35 KiB) Viewed 14611 times
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!