Status of Loyalist Baseframes

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Status of Loyalist Baseframes

Post by artisticdude »

If the second version (the one without the cape) were looking down more... looking at it now all I can see is him looking up. :hmm: Just me?

Other than that, it's perfect. 8)
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
shiremct
Art Contributor

Post by shiremct »

I love the design of the helmet and pauldrons and you are right of course about the legs being out of proportion.

It may just be a personal preference thing, so feel free to disagree, but I see some issues with the pose now in the opposite direction. The unit's left arm looks slightly over-sized and his right shoulder seems pushed out too far from the head, which combined with the flared out arm and leg in that direction, make the whole thing a little too loose and off-balance. From just looking it over, I think a straighter right leg and slightly more flared left (from his perspective) combined with pulling the right arm and/or shoulder in one pixel would work better, but without toying about with it, I can't be sure.

It doesn't seem to be quite as much of a problem with the cape version, It must be that negative space in the center following the angle of the leg that really enhances the bent-back feel to it. Dropping the leg down from the skirt a little straighter should help with that.

The feet look good, but the angle seems a tad steep. I personally tend toward the other extreme, so again, if you don't agree, don't worry about it, but comparing to the swordsman, halberdier and heavy infantry (which look great btw) he seems to be standing on his toes.
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Thanks. :)

Yup your right there was overcompensation on my part as I thought many versions were leaning forwards a bit too much.

Your crit is a little unclear Shiremct, when you say the units left arm do you mean his or our perspective, at the same time as being mirrored? :P Hmm anyway I think I know what you mean. Adjustments were made to give a better balance anyhow.

Hmm I hate to discourage anyone or something by making this version, If anyone has a beef with the design, or it can be improved or another better one be made, then please do so if you want... :)
Attachments
swroyalguard2.png
swroyalguard2.png (6.87 KiB) Viewed 12154 times
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Really liking that. I still wonder if a cape might complete the look though. Impractical as it undoubtedly would be.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
shiremct
Art Contributor

Post by shiremct »

Yea, looking back at it, my comment was a bit hard to follow, but looks like you got all the issues sorted out nicely. Excellent work, the pose is great now and the feet look more firmly planted on the ground.

For what it's worth, I think the balance is great now without the cape. My only (very) small nitpick is that pulling the sword arm in a bit (which was good) has left the sword at a visibly different angle. Though it's not nearly as "fly-swatted" as the old sword and many other sprites' swords, It is just a bit; But the sprite is good enough to be finished as it is, IMO, that's just a small critique for critique's sake. Great work :D