Heir to the Throne: Portraits

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Heir to the Throne: Portraits

Post by beetlenaut »

In the current dialog at least, Asheviere is angry and defiant to the last, so I don't think she needs a second portrait. (Although some wounds would make sense.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Groggy_Dice
Inactive Developer

Post by Groggy_Dice »

Li'sar looking good! She fits right in with the new Konrad. I'm working on some story suggestions for "Princess of Wesnoth" to give them "grown up" dialogue that'll match these "grown up" portraits, but that's for another thread...
zookeeper wrote:Moremirmu and even he isn't relevant to the plot in any way.
Oh, I definitely want Moremirmu! A white mage with an awesome holy sword! Isle and Valley are two of the key scenarios of HttH. Besides, someone will surely get around to creating a UMC campaign about Moremirmu's crusade against the undead one of these days.

Haldiel is another candidate for inclusion. Besides his debut in Blackwater Port, I remember he has a line in Dwarven Doors. He'll get recalled enough to stand a good chance of getting in some "killing blow" lines, too. Also, you can base his portrait off of your Deoran.
zookeeper wrote:As for expressions, I have a couple of ideas.

Asheviere:
1) On her knees, wounded and defeated. Used for the last words.
I didn't remember her having that much to say for her last words, so I checked the scenario file. Apparently, she's much more verbose if slain by one of the heroes. Still, even though her presence looms large over the campaign, I don't think she needs more than one portrait. Portraits generally don't go down to the knees, making it hard to convey that she's "on her knees," and as beetlenaut said, "Asheviere is angry and defiant to the last." (An idea I have that might allow for a variant portrait, is that I think it would be nifty if at some point during the scenario, she set aside her scepter and produced the staff of An-Usrukhar, and vowed, "I will drive this staff through your heart, like you did to my son!" Again, probably for another thread...)
Ports:
Prudence (Josh Roby) | By the Sword (monochromatic) | The Eight of Cembulad (Lintana~ & WYRMY)
Resources:
UMC Timeline (Dec) | List of Unported UMC (Dec) | wmllint++ (Feb)
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

And Li'Sar again: two new versions, holding the scepter and being glad - now only the defeated one remains, I've got a sketch and hope to paint her sometime this weekend. Probably.

Shadowmaster, Sapient: Thanks :D
Zookeeper: I'm sorry, now I remember that we already had this conversation. I really had forgotten about that… So after Lisar I'll do two versions of Delf (or really my third and fourth of him) and Kalenz (who really seriously needs to be replaced!). But Asheviere is reserved for LordBob who was very interested in working on her. And perhaps I'll do a Moremiru as well, just because I liked the character, we'll see.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2011-09-21 um 20.36.06.png
rmj

Post by rmj »

Lisar needs to drop thirty or forty pounds; she should not be an amazon. Her ability was as a commander, not necessarily as a warrior. She also looks too old. One of the primary considerations in portraying Lisar is that Konrad finds her attractive.
rmj
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

rmj wrote:Lisar needs to drop thirty or forty pounds; she should not be an amazon. Her ability was as a commander, not necessarily as a warrior. She also looks too old. One of the primary considerations in portraying Lisar is that Konrad finds her attractive.
Uh, what? She's neither fat or sturdy (she is wearing armour, after all) and looks like she could be about twenty. Granted, I think the age is a bit ambiguous as I think she could easily pass for any age between 20 and 40, but that doesn't seem like a big issue.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

rmj wrote:Lisar needs to drop thirty or forty pounds; she should not be an amazon. Her ability was as a commander, not necessarily as a warrior. She also looks too old. One of the primary considerations in portraying Lisar is that Konrad finds her attractive.
But there is this refreshing trend in wesnoth art to not make all females super sexy manga like which is something you don't see often in games. It sets wesnoth apart from other stuff and I think that's a good thing.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Lisar needs to drop thirty or forty pounds ... One of the primary considerations in portraying Lisar is that Konrad finds her attractive.
In a quasi-medieval culture thinness would not be considered attractive, because it signals poverty or poor health. Thinness as a beauty ideal is a very modern concept.

Besides, many people, in all cultures, are attracted to what is not conventionally attractive.

ETA: Konrad has grown up among Elves, where it's normal for women to fight. Therefore an "amazon" should not be expected to look categorically unattractive to him.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Captain_Rage

Post by Captain_Rage »

zookeeper wrote:
Uh, what? She's neither fat or sturdy (she is wearing armour, after all) and looks like she could be about twenty. Granted, I think the age is a bit ambiguous as I think she could easily pass for any age between 20 and 40, but that doesn't seem like a big issue.
Maybe he meant that Li'sar needs to drop 20-40 lbs overall, armor included, because I also agree that she looks rather hindered by that amount of armor*.

* compared to every other unit with the skirmisher ability; they are usually built around wearing very light protection which enables them to run past other units.

Especially the whole chainmail covering the belly and the arm protection gives the impression of a not-too-swift unit, atleast to me.
Although it would be a shame to remake too much in this portrait, which by all means is really nice, it honestly doesn't fit the unit's sprite/role/description too well..
(Note that these are just opinions from somebody who's not involved in the art development but just plays the game.)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Captain_Rage wrote:Maybe he meant that Li'sar needs to drop 20-40 lbs overall, armor included, because I also agree that she looks rather hindered by that amount of armor*.

* compared to every other unit with the skirmisher ability; they are usually built around wearing very light protection which enables them to run past other units.

Especially the whole chainmail covering the belly and the arm protection gives the impression of a not-too-swift unit, atleast to me.
Although it would be a shame to remake too much in this portrait, which by all means is really nice, it honestly doesn't fit the unit's sprite/role/description too well..
(Note that these are just opinions from somebody who's not involved in the art development but just plays the game.)
Well, the thing is that her character is getting re-designed to precisely make her more of an armoured warrior rather than the agile princess in skimpy chainmail; her stats (and sooner or later, sprites) will change to reflect that. Such a change has been planned for years and will finally be done now that she's getting a portrait in that style.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

there is something that bothers me with the li'sar happy variant...

here smile looks like the kind of smile you get when you take a picture of someone that doesn't want her picture take... the smile is "very forced"

maybe it's just me but I think it's worth checking...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

Boucman wrote:there is something that bothers me with the li'sar happy variant...

here smile looks like the kind of smile you get when you take a picture of someone that doesn't want her picture take... the smile is "very forced"

maybe it's just me but I think it's worth checking...
same here. she looks like a guy looking cool smiling, not a girl. since I am not female, I am really unsure how to fix this, maybe more, facial language?
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Her nose looks wider and flatter in the smiling image, giving a more "robust" look. Even though smiling does affect the nose somewhat, it doesn't work all that well here.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

For what it's worth, I rather like that look for Li'sar. She actually looks like she has the strength and grit to travel/fight long and hard which is something many portrayals of female warriors don't communicate to me. She does this and comes off as being fairly attractive as well so I'll definately give it credit.

As for the smile, maybe show a bit less teeth?
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Sorry to join the dogpile, but you have a high standard and the smiling version doesn't look like the same person. Her slightly older, weaker sister maybe, but not the same person. I think she lost her high, prominent cheekbones.

It may be good enough for the campaign though, the player wouldn't see all of them side-by-side like this.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

Velensk wrote:For what it's worth, I rather like that look for Li'sar. She actually looks like she has the strength and grit to travel/fight long and hard which is something many portrayals of female warriors don't communicate to me. She does this and comes off as being fairly attractive as well so I'll definately give it credit.

As for the smile, maybe show a bit less teeth?
wait a second, I think that's it. a guy smiles like this: :D and a girl smiles like this :) (I think)
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild