Replacing the desert mountains

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Replacing the desert mountains

Post by zookeeper »

fabi wrote:I was under the impression that the latest work aims on impassable mountains.
Right. So it seems. :whistle:
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Is there any possibility of wrapping this up for inclusion in 1.13, doofus-01?
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Sure, assuming 1.13 isn't getting frozen soon, I could pick this back up again. I don't remember what happened.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

No, it won't be frozen soon.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

fabi wrote:
zookeeper wrote:I've been following this thread but it only now occurred to me that the shape of the mountains might be problematic visually when units are standing on them...
I was under the impression that the latest work aims on impassable mountains.
There was a problem there, I guess. The perspective was also too low to the ground. I'm starting over, keeping the "impassable" -> "clouds+peak overlay" convention. The shading on this is almost nonexistent for now, but this is my new design.
Attachments
desert_mountains-new.png
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

It's good, but it seems too... step-like. IMO there should be more slanted surfaces, plus they seem lower than the regular mountains. Other than that, looking good so far :)
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Well, I thought I lost my XCF file, but I was able to recover it, so I got some enthusiasm back. I haven't put any work into the transitions yet, those are obviously last.
Attachments
desert_mountains-new2.jpg
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

doofus-01 wrote:Well, I thought I lost my XCF file, but I was able to recover it, so I got some enthusiasm back. I haven't put any work into the transitions yet, those are obviously last.
If I may ask, what are you using as pictures for your reference? Are you going for more this or this?
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

More the second, like something in Arizona. But then it also has to fit in the strange Wesnoth terrain perspective, and be sort of iconic icon-like, so maybe it's losing something.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Very nice! Needs some more variation in the Impassable variations, though.
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

doofus-01 wrote:More the second, like something in Arizona. But then it also has to fit in the strange Wesnoth terrain perspective, and be sort of iconic icon-like, so maybe it's losing something.
That's what I figured - the Wesnoth angle makes it hard, but perhaps less small slopes and a bit more of a drastic one at the top, like what is in the dead center of the second image? I am sure it had to be hard to shade that though.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Turuk wrote:perhaps less small slopes and a bit more of a drastic one at the top, like what is in the dead center of the second image?
The sprites have to walk on it without looking too strange though. Maybe I am not understanding what you mean.

This is with some overlays, I don't think they look much worse than on the regular mountains.
desert_mountains-new3.jpg
In any case, these are the files I have for now. They are still missing the "range" sets and "castle" sets. Maybe some transitions too, maybe not.
EDIT: removed TGZ. Lower post has updated files.
Last edited by doofus-01 on September 13th, 2015, 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

doofus-01 wrote:The sprites have to walk on it without looking too strange though. Maybe I am not understanding what you mean.
A valid point, and it looks good as it is now anyway. The overlays seem to fit in nicely.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

This now has a couple of "ranges" and the one "castle" tile that I think alleviates the worst overlaps.

The file names are meant to work with the same macros used for the other mountains, with "desert_mountains/dry*" (or "desert_mountains/peaks*").
Attachments
desert_mountains.tgz
(363.57 KiB) Downloaded 768 times
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

It still seems to be missing a 'long range' 3x2 variant. Can one be made, or should we remove that variant for dry mountains?
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!