Eleazar's Terrain Improvements

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Re: Eleazar's Terrain Improvements

Post by Eleazar »

Well, i went ahead and implemented a double-sided animation for the water after all.
I also worked out some weird layering issues that have been plaguing the reef and ford for a while -- they now layer properly with other terrains and each other.

Currently there's a hiccup in the animation and i still need to integrate the swamp, but after about 5 hours of work this week, it is close.

:!: I also finally eliminated all known instances of terrains simply not drawing any transitions where transitions are needed. This is especially noticeable when using Void or Off-map.
If i missed one please let me know.
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-08-11 at 7.15.36 PM.jpg
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Now swamp is added to the list of animated terrains-- which is hard to see ATM. But it blends very nicely with other water terrains, which is much of the point.

At some later time perhaps i'll work on the reeds
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-08-12 at 2.23.11 PM.jpg
Screen shot 2010-08-12 at 2.23.11 PM.jpg (155.87 KiB) Viewed 13624 times
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Given the above picture, it might be worth it to have tropical color-variants of ocean and reef. I'll let you figure out how to solve it though.

That water<->swamp transition looks very, very nice, now.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

As a stop-gap, i added sand to the double-sided transition with water list.

This is not how i want it ultimately to look, but the appearance and more importantly the WML is closer to my goal, and this method was quick enough i could get it into the development version.
Screen shot 2010-08-13 at 3.28.09 PM.jpg
Jetrel wrote:Given the above picture, it might be worth it to have tropical color-variants of ocean and reef. I'll let you figure out how to solve it though..
The reef on non-tropical looks fine too me, the lack of saturation seem natural where it is likely to be shadowed and perhaps shallower. I agree that a tropical hued ocean would be useful.
Attempting Lucidity
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

As requested i made an additional desert plants embellishment (^Edpp) which doesn't contains the bones. Suitable for tropical maps that aren't deserts.
Attempting Lucidity
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Some actual screenshots
Attachments
Wesnoth-1.9-6.jpg
Wesnoth-1.9-5.jpg
Wesnoth-1.9-4.jpg
Wesnoth-1.9-3.jpg
Wesnoth-1.9-1.jpg
Attempting Lucidity
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

:D It's awesome to see all of your work! It's so much more fun to look at my wesnoth screen!
So, just some praise...

Could the selected hex indicator perhaps be drawn behind the unit occupying the hex?
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

kitty wrote:Could the selected hex indicator perhaps be drawn behind the unit occupying the hex?
And maybe it should follow the height adjustments for keeps and things as well. Awesome work by the way!
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Thanks guys. :)
beetlenaut wrote:
kitty wrote:Could the selected hex indicator perhaps be drawn behind the unit occupying the hex?
And maybe it should follow the height adjustments for keeps and things as well.
If it's behind the unit then it would also be behind any sticking up terrain, (since this is in front of the unit) like castle walls. With a large unit and a bulky keep, the hex selector might hardly show, which defeats the purpose.

Following the hight adjustments could make sense however -- in the game -- i don't think we'd want that in the editor.
Also i'd like the hex selector to be drawn lower than the HP/XP bars and orbs.
Attempting Lucidity
Alink
Inactive Developer

Post by Alink »

beetlenaut wrote:And maybe it should follow the height adjustments for keeps and things as well. Awesome work by the way!
No, that would probably looks ugly when the grid is visible. Also, "hex areas" will start to overlap and that will cause problems for deciding which hex is under the mouse (both for code and interface feeling).

EDIT:
Eleazar wrote: Also i'd like the hex selector to be drawn lower than the HP/XP bars and orbs.
Done, also moved the attack indicator under bars and above hex selector.
Attachments
layer_order.png
layer_order.png (177.02 KiB) Viewed 13089 times
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Wow.

I just re-installed Wesnoth (current SVN) on my computer and played through THoT, and I have to say, the new terrain art is really impressive. I thought it was good a year ago, but you've brought it to the next level. Kudos.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Alink wrote:Done, also moved the attack indicator under bars and above hex selector.
But it will still be drawn above the unit's ellipse? I personally think it'd make more sense for it to be drawn on top of the terrain itself, directly below any layers related to units in any way.

I'm also still unsure I want to see a bordered hex instead of a hilighted (or hilight+border'ed) one. Just my opinion of course — I'm known for not agreeing with minor art choices but I can always live with that. ;)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Here's the thread where i explain and show some of the problem with the old hex highlighting way.

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 15#p441417

Comments simply about the hex highlighter are better in that GUI thread.

Turin wrote:I just re-installed Wesnoth (current SVN) on my computer and played through THoT, and I have to say, the new terrain art is really impressive. I thought it was good a year ago, but you've brought it to the next level. Kudos.
Thanks
I've gone through some of the campaigns including some of yours and have added in some of the new terrain varieties as appropriate. (dead grass instead of savanna on obviously winter maps, etc.) But you may want to look your maps over, and refine them yourself. I don't know most of the campaigns real well, and so often don't know what new terrains should be used to create the right kind of setting.
Attempting Lucidity
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

It just keeps getting better. I didn't imagine that things could become this much better, but you made it so. Great work! :D
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

As requested by Jetrel, i've added a tropical-colored version of the ocean.

I think we really needed it.

There are also improved transitions with void and off-map and between void and off-map.

EDIT: i also decreased the difference in the size of the ocean ripples vs the shallow ripples.
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-08-27 at 6.01.30 PM.jpg
Attempting Lucidity