Orc Portrait Series

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Orc Portrait Series

Post by beetlenaut »

Normally, a flaming arrow doesn't have a sharp tip. Instead, the end is covered with an oil soaked rag or something like that. The flaming whatever-it-is in your picture would slide down and be left behind when the arrow fired. The fire isn't really convincing me either.
vivs_flaming_arrow.jpg
flaming_arrow.jpg
flaming_arrow.jpg (26.51 KiB) Viewed 10750 times
I love the crossbowman--especially his expression!
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Fog

Post by Fog »

Precisely.
Ecce, in caelo! Est avem! Minime, est vehiculum aerem! Minime, est virum Latinum!
Spell

Post by Spell »

Not really.

There are also flaming arrows with peaks. It is actually necassary for hitting something. How else should it stick for example into an roof or an armor without it? (Thats what fire arrows made for: burning structures. And that cannot really be done without peak)

(In sports/fun you don't really want to incinerate something do you? @ the pics of Beetlenaut)
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

The tip can be inside the burning thing. You make lumps or wads out of burning material and stick them on the arrowtips.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Wow, I didn't think flaming bolts would arise such heated discussion. :mrgreen: Here goes my two cents :

Crossbowman : Boru's right, he does look rushed compared to the slurbow, eventhough I spent equal amounts of time on each portrait. In addition to shading weaknesses I think this might be caused by the linework itself, which considerably simpler than most orc units'. So I'm taking him back to the workshop for an in-depth revision. :wink:

Slurbow : I reckon the flames went wrong. I'll try and improve them based on Beetlenaut's reference. Failing that, I'll remove the flames, but this is really a last resort as I like the idea no matter what logic has to say :mrgreen: . However, I'll stick to Groovy's and Spell's views regarding the tip of flaming bolts, which really ought to retain their leathal capacity regardless of being lit or not ; in other words, if I can there will be some deadly steel.

On a different note, I've been sketching the orcish leader line : I'm planning at least one portrait, two should my muse visit me.
The current concept is to have a strongly-built orc who sports plate armour scavenged from a human iron mauler and possibly other bits taken from a drake. Note his helm includes a grinning facial mask similiar to the slayer's (and shamelessly inspired after the armour of japanese samurais) In his hand, a crude standard. I'm aware this isn't exactly faithful to the sprite and I'm open to suggestions regarding the pose. :wink:
Attachments
orc_leader.png
orc_leader.png (223.51 KiB) Viewed 10528 times
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Monroid

Post by Monroid »

Those canines look huge! :shock:

And is that stick on his right hand going to be a spear or a warbanner?

It looks great as usual Bob, keep it up! :D
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

with that sketch I have the feeling that the portrait will be awesome! :wink:
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Wow, I didn't think flaming bolts would arise such heated discussion.
Usually the more trivial the detail, the more heated discussion it provokes and more 'experts' it rattles out of the bushes. :wink:

As for the leader, the outfit and general appearance is good, but the pose looks a bit weird. What is he supposed to be doing, collecting trash from a park? "Take that, you filthy chewing gum wrapper!"
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:
Wow, I didn't think flaming bolts would arise such heated discussion.
Usually the more trivial the detail, the more heated discussion it provokes and more 'experts' it rattles out of the bushes. :wink:
In OSS parlance, they call this "bikeshedding", but it's actually an extremely useful concept in all walks of life. People feel a need to put their mark on things - it makes them look involved, especially important if administration is their job, and makes them feel like they've accomplished something by proxy.

The trope-namer was the example: If you went to a city-council with plans to build a nuclear power plant, they'll keep their mouths shut about the design and let the experts do it right. If you went to a city-council with plans to build some large bike shed (say, for the park), every single bureaucrat will get his dirty fingers into the plan, because it's something trivial they can actually understand. There will be riotous arguments over what color to paint the bike shed.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

LordBob wrote:I'm open to suggestions regarding the pose.
I also think the leader looks cool, but his pose does seem a bit odd. I think it's the straight legs and bend at the hips that make it look like he is scolding a small child or attacking a gum-wrapper. It might look more menacing if his left leg went back, as if he were lunging, rather than bending over.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

NB re bike shedding: even though it often get annoying, in some instances it can have value - I think this is one such instance =)

These are looking great, i'll be happy to commit them as soon as you consider them done.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
boru

Post by boru »

The sketch reminds me of this:
pulitzer-1945-iwo-jima-flag.jpg
Obviously the flag is not so heavy that it requires four GI's - but the photo is unforgettable - it says more about the flag than about the men in it.

So maybe some kind of massive standard is required?
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

Also note that's it's a horrible picture to use as a reference, because it's fake. It was done entirely for show. The flag had already been raised much earlier and the men were ordered to put up a showier flag and let some pictures get made of it, so it's not at all what real people putting up a flagpole would look like.
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

Wow, those last couple of orcs are top notch! I love the level of detail and the rendering and everything! :D

And the sketch for the leader looks pretty nice, too! I like the put together concept of his armour, very fitting and has got lots of character. But since this leader portrait probably will get used for campaign characters a lot, I think another one showing his face would be nice as well.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Some progress with leader line sketches. There will be two of them : leader and ruler/sovereign. Plus an "easy-mode" alternate without their helms.
I'm taking note of the general dislike for the bent sovereign : the pose that inspired him is a soldier bending over a fallen man, but I reckon I'm not happy with the legs either. However, I'll rather move his legs than go for an entirely different pose. More on that later.

Back to the slurbow / crossbowman for now.
Attachments
orc_leader.png
orc_leader.png (179.14 KiB) Viewed 9855 times
orc_sovereign.png
orc_sovereign.png (271.12 KiB) Viewed 9855 times
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !