story art

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: story art

Post by LordBob »

vultraz wrote:Also, you forget in the intro it talks about the discovery of Wesnoth before the campaign reaches it.
That's the part I been meaning to illustrate indeed, but what are you getting at?
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

That one doesn't really need to be used in the intro, intro_2a.jpg and intro_2b.jpg cover it nicely already.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Oh, ok, so we agree. Especially since I had another 2 scenes for right after that moment, when the prince of Southbay is said to have found the sea route to the new continent and subsequently dies. They're older work though, so not exactly consistent in style with the ones I posted before. Please bear with me.
Attachments
Intro_3a.jpg
Intro_3b.jpg
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Next intro painting, comes right after the death of the crown prince. It shows the younger brother "chafing at the eye of suspicion cast upon him", or says the story.

This one was also painted a couple years ago but with a 4/3 ratio and initially showed the prince alone. I extended it towards the left and added the group of discussing people as a mean to provide some context to his dark mood

Edit: forgot to add the finished New Land painting. I went with Zookeeper's suggestion to keep the shores calm : I think it's a good thing to put emphasis on the discovery of the new continent because it rewards the long travel and adventure. Plus there are already a number of scenarios whose title screen will feature battles and pursuits, so a little change can't hurt.
Attachments
Intro_3c.jpg
tRoW_story_15-A-New-Land.jpg
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Another scene. This one was an earlier version of the painting that currently illustrates A New Land, however the composition and colors were off (I've also attached this older version in case anyone's curious). I revamped it into a tentative title scene for 13 - People in Decline, in which if memory serves right the player lands on a volcanic island full of drakes. I don't think the painting matches any specific sequence of the scenario, but it should at least provide players with a nice context for what's to come. Let me know if I was not remembering properly and messed things up
Attachments
older 13.jpg
older 13.jpg (51.93 KiB) Viewed 11465 times
tRoW_story_13-People-in-decline.jpg
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

LordBob wrote:Another scene. This one was an earlier version of the painting that currently illustrates A New Land, however the composition and colors were off (I've also attached this older version in case anyone's curious). I revamped it into a tentative title scene for 13 - People in Decline, in which if memory serves right the player lands on a volcanic island full of drakes. I don't think the painting matches any specific sequence of the scenario, but it should at least provide players with a nice context for what's to come. Let me know if I was not remembering properly and messed things up
Currently the drakes only appear during the opening dialogue, after you've reached the seemingly deserted port on the island. Going by the text, at that point you don't even know that the inhabitants are drakes, yet. So whether it's fitting to have drakes torching one of the ships in the story image is something I can't seem to be able to make up my mind about.

If you want alternative ideas, then one would be to turn the burning ship into an old shipwreck on some rocks (from the elder crown prince's voyage) looking like it was burned, with drakes only as indistinct flying creatures far off in the distance.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Damn, that's quite a dilemma. The scene is probably more legible with the burning ship as its focal point, but I reckon we should not spoil the player. So I went with your suggestion, I think it's a good compromise.

The next image will be a tentative title scene for Swamp of Esten. I had noted that the player faces undead in a gloomy setting, however I am unsure if at this stage they have already met Burin the Lost (or may never meet him at all) and thus wether he (or any other dwarf) should appear in the picture
Attachments
tRoW_story_13-People-in-decline.jpg
tRoW_story_04a-The_Swamp_Of_Esten.jpg
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Another painting I've been working on for a while. I intended for it to illustrate scenario #2, The Fall, though I'd rather check with you before putting the final polish. It presents the situation in a much more dire light than the story text suggests, yet it is rather faithful to the actual events of the scenario. Also, instilling a sense of dread and desperation may make the player feel more engaged in the story
Attachments
tRoW_story_02-The_Fall.jpg
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

You meet Burin in scenario 3, so he could be there. In fact, that could actually be a service to the player, alerting him that he missed a useful loyal unit if he didn't find the dwarf. However, he and Jessine can both die without you losing (at least for now), so maybe they should be replaced with regular soldiers more in later images.

I find it a little hard to read Burin as a dwarf though. Maybe his head could be a little more towards the viewpoint or maybe his beard could have more detail to make it clearer.

I'm not sure how I feel about the imminent rape and murder in your new image though.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

I like having Jessine and Burin in the picture. It fits.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

LordBob wrote:The next image will be a tentative title scene for Swamp of Esten. I had noted that the player face undead in a gloomy setting, however I am unsure if at this stage they have already met Burin the Lost (or may never meet him at all) and thus wether he (or any other dwarf) should appear in the picture
Finding Burin and keeping him alive is entirely optional, and you might not have Jessene at that point either. Jessene becomes a must-have unit only at the end of S07 Return to Oldwood, after which she can always be assumed to be with Haldric (except for the intro to S19 The Vanguard).

But, the water's superb. :hmm:
LordBob wrote:Another painting I've been working on for a while. I intended for it to illustrate scenario #2, The Fall, though I'd rather check with you before putting the final polish. It presents the situation in a much more dire light than the story text suggests, yet it is rather faithful to the actual events of the scenario. Also, instilling a sense of dread and desperation may make the player feel more engaged in the story
Seems fitting to me, seeing how the orcs have already taken a bunch of forts and territory before the first line of dialogue in-scenario.

P.S. Since you might appreciate anatomic nitpicks: are you sure the skirt flows right? I can't really tell where exactly her legs are supposed to be.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

@Beetlenaut: you're absolutely right, Burin's face still needs some attention at this stage. Another thing I will probably do to have him look more dwarfish is to play on his and Jessene's respective heights, as in the current shot she's barely taller than him and comparatively a lot shorter than Haldric.

@Zookeeper: you're right about the skirt. I drew it hastily hoping that it would not receive too much attention, and thus didn't give much thought to the woman's pose. That's one boomerang of laziness hitting me back in the face :oops:

Re: optional units: I think I will keep Burin and Jessene as they bring diversity, yet make their features vague enough that they could be any other unit. And of course, Jessene will keep her veil until she reveals her true identity to the player (is that in scenario 7, or at a later date ?)
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

A few updates to the title screen for scenario 2 and a new painting that illustrate the story part about the sacrifice of king Eldaric
Attachments
tRoW_story_04-Fall_of_Eldaric.jpg
tRoW_story_02-The_Fall.jpg
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

It's a wonderful picture, but... eh... there's this little problem that the orcs specifically don't have trolls. :augh:
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Damn, I'd have sworn there was one on the existing artwork. :doh:

Either way, if I remember correctly this specific image is displayed after the conclusion of the scenario - once the player has successfully escaped with Haldric. There may not be any trolls on screen during the game, but what happens afterwards is normally left to the player's imagination (and ours). The only certain fact is that Eldaric eventually meets his maker: I'm sure players would be willing to forgive some approximation on the "how". ;)

Besides, it wouldn't be unprecedented for historians of later generation to exaggerate the deeds and write - or paint - that it took no less than three dragons to slay the king in his glorious last stand :mrgreen: