story art

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: story art

Post by zookeeper »

LordBob wrote:Damn, I'd have sworn there was one on the existing artwork. :doh:
True, that's a slip which occurs in the originals too. I remember making mental note of that once, but I guess I never thought to specifically mention it.
LordBob wrote:Either way, if I remember correctly this specific image is displayed after the conclusion of the scenario - once the player has successfully escaped with Haldric. There may not be any trolls on screen during the game, but what happens afterwards is normally left to the player's imagination (and ours). The only certain fact is that Eldaric eventually meets his maker: I'm sure players would be willing to forgive some approximation on the "how". ;)

Besides, it wouldn't be unprecedented for historians of later generation to exaggerate the deeds and write - or paint - that it took no less than three dragons to slay the king in his glorious last stand :mrgreen:
Well, the problem isn't really just that there are none on-screen, it's that trolls are seemingly unknown on the Green Isle (as Haldric doesn't know what a troll is, and apparently Jessene doesn't either), and they're a new exotic thing when encountered on the Great Continent. Of course, that doesn't mean that the orcs couldn't have a troll, as there could be a few trolls in the far west where they came from. So, poor Eldaric might literally not know what hit him.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Yeah, I concur with zookeeper. The troll is fine. :)

That scene also really reminds me of the one from The Hobbit with Azog and Thorin.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Ah, it's well possible that this scene was an unconscious inspiration. :)

In the meantime, some thumbnail sketches for Temple in the Deep. I want that one to feel special since it is the first appearance of the Ruby of Fire. I picture the catacombs as a late stone age / bronze age place: big slabs of stone, raw rockbed in places, carvings on the wall. A is probably the choice of consensus, although E is interesting as well and F could turn out awesome (imagine a cavern lit by glowing crystals that somehow resonate with the power of the ruby, and the lich lord waiting in the center).

I did note that in game the player finds the Ruby locked in a chest. The painting would, however, look a lot cooler if it could include some of that red light and/or elements ( overgrown crystals ? lava ? transparent chest ? ) that suggest an artifact of great power is to be found. Or simply it could depict the lich lord with the crystal in hand, after all he is not supposed to keep it locked at all times.
Attachments
thumbs_Temple-in-the-Deep.jpg
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

And another study, this time for scenario 5 - The Oldwood. A column of humans are following old steles towards the temple at the heart of the forest. I'm hoping the forest scene will serve its purpose even if we don't see any of the woses - I could probably show them in scenario 7 instead, but they don't play a great part in there. Alternately, I could make the large foreground trees a couple of waking woses ; they would have their eyes barely opened and none of the humans would have noticed them yet.
Attachments
tRoW_story_05-The_Oldwood.jpg
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

It had been a loooong time since I got to do any serious painting. Thanks to holidays I took the opportunity at last, with a finished story image for scenario 6.
Attachments
tRoW_story_06-Temple_in_the_Deep.jpg
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Nice to see you back LordBob! I like the balance of this one, and the character you put into the skeletons. I also like the fact that the lich is sitting in the middle of those huge, ancient ruins.

I would like to repeat my wish for you to work some more magi into the story art when you can. They're very important units in this campaign.

I know we don't have a full set yet, but is there any reason not to add what we do have to mainline before 1.14 comes out? No other campaign has story art for every scenario either, and this work should get used, not just sit in the forums.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Thanks ! :) I'll keep an eye for any spots where I can slip in a mage ; let me know if there are any scenarios in the campaign where it would be especially relevant to highlight them.

On using these story paintings, Vultraz asked the same not long ago and I'll repeat my answer here : we absolutely should !

Just let me know when and which ones you will be ready to add: I kept working on them even after I had stopped posting, so for anything you see in this thread chances are a more elaborate version is sitting in my hard drive.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

I'm willing to add all of the ones you currently have completed, since we haven't actually wired any in yet. :)
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I've had the ones from about 2016 sitting in place uncommitted while I figured I'd wait for some more before committing them, but if you think you have newer versions then you can just PM all of them again along with the new one(s).
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

I already asked that he PM them to me. Perhaps PM both of us?
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Alright, give me a couple weeks to sort out my archive and export the latest version of everything, then I'll send a full pack