-----------------------------

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

NorthDragon

-----------------------------

Post by NorthDragon »

"Four Kingdoms" version 1.0 released.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
:eng: CHANGELOG / VERSION HISTORY:

v1.0 - initial release
v1.1 - added compatibility with add-ons MP Era
v1.2 - added a dozen types of units
v1.2.1 - added option to set the number of monsters
v1.2.2 - added several types of units to factions: Knalgan Alliance, Drakes, Rebels and Loyalists
v1.2.3 - added portraits: Noble Youth, Noble Fighter, Noble Commander, Noble Lord, Vampire Lady, Infantry Lieutenant
v1.2.4 - minor changes and improved graphic details
v1.3.0 - (31/12/2020) the interiors system was developed, system mechanics and 4 interiors
---------( Please, no suggestions for this because the system is in progress )---------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by NorthDragon on June 25th, 2021, 12:13 am, edited 46 times in total.
Author: "Four Kingdoms" mp scenario, "Update Shroud Now -Automatically-" modification
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Re: "FOUR KINGDOMS"

Post by Atreides »

Tried it. A few observations:
1) Can't seem to locate any of the special tavern/village hexes for the special recruits
2) 150 initial gold seems too much
3) Shuffle sides moves them from their assigned "home" corners (i.e. Dunefolk don't start in the desert terrain corner except by chance)
4) Keep's special heal/xp bonuses seem excessive
Nice map/scenario though, could become a classic I think.
NorthDragon

Post by NorthDragon »

Regarding 4). Such coefficients allow the player to, relatively quickly, train a unit with the desired characteristics, moreover, they are necessary for computer leaders.
Thanks for your feedback!
Author: "Four Kingdoms" mp scenario, "Update Shroud Now -Automatically-" modification
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

NorthDragon wrote: November 30th, 2020, 4:03 am Regarding 4). Such coefficients allow the player to, relatively quickly, train a unit with the desired characteristics, moreover, they are necessary for computer leaders.
Thanks for your feedback!
Hi, thanks for the response. I have played some more and I retract 2 and 4, they don't seem that excessive anymore. Re: 4 I was initially thinking that it would allow a "Monty Haul" i.e. cheap and too easy way to train units but after trying it I see that it ties up the keep and a unit for a while. At most I'd see it used to train a specific unit that you really want from the higher levels.

Further to #1 I had to dig through the program to locate the Naga village! I really think they ought to be labelled as should the Taverns (which I also found via the program - the tiny barrel graphic is not helpful and of course there is no hint given to look for a barrel) and the 2 special villages.
Also it ought to be explained that the leader recruits _on_ the village and that capturing them doesn't add recruits to your list as expected.

5) The way the farming works needs to be explained. I guessed it would be like ANL and peasants would farm but since there is no graphic gold income I wasn't sure and actually tried putting any unit on the farms and haystacks (the instructions just say "unit" which could be any unit) until I looked it up and discovered it is added to base income and _has_ to be a peasant. Trial and error told me that you only get it when peasant starts turn on farmland. It also should be explained that the haystacks _don't_ count (they confuse ANL players since that is the graphic for harvestable farm) and only those that are named Farmland work.

6) Why is the Naga village so far from any of the keeps? I don't see any use for relocating a leader there (semi-permanently) just to build some lizards.

7) Capturing an enemy keep doesn't add to your recruit list either. I presume you have to relocate your leader there as well. Doesn't seem worth the long trip and lost builds.

8) Using an add-on era has some strange results. Firstly it replaces side 2 only with a random choice, leaving the other 3 fixed. Probably due to Dunefolk being not fully part of default. When playing an add-on faction as side 2 you can initially recruit from that faction _until_ the leader leaves and comes back to the keep (i.e. after visiting tavern) at which time the recruit list is reset to Loyalists. Having looked at the program I know this is because a moveto event is being used.
I realize that using add-ons isn't something that has to be taken into account for so a note should be added to only play using the default+dunefolk era; I think, I have not tried yet using plain default, perhaps it uses a random default faction for side 2.

9) In solo play the computer sides don't use the taverns, etc. That makes sense. It is a shame though. Perhaps the recruits could be added to computer sides main list instead so it will use them. Probably a lot of work though... just an idea.

I will keep playing, I like this quite a bit. Thanks.
NorthDragon

Post by NorthDragon »

Hi, regarding 8), I noticed this, a compatibility fix was added in v1.1
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

NorthDragon wrote: December 5th, 2020, 5:57 pm Hi, regarding 8), I noticed this, a compatibility fix was added in v1.1
Yes, I got the new version and have been using it. Works great now with any faction.

Question, did you add a Chocobone recruit to Undead list in the new version? I could swear that the first game with 1.0 as the Undead had none while now they do. It's a funny unit... saw it first in one of the ANL scenarios where it runs around limited to the caves. Ostrich charge! LOL.

This would be an interesting multiplayer game, but when I offered to play it I got no takers.
NorthDragon

Post by NorthDragon »

Chocobone is since v1.1, there will be other units too.
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Cool, I look forward to more customizations.

The random monsters can be VERY rough. Getting 2 Yetis in a row could wreck a game (or net one loads of xp depending on the situation). I started 4 games with the default Dunefolk in the SE and lost all 4 quickly due to various factors including massive monster invasions. Ironically (due to my name) I'm not very good at Dunies (yet?) so that might be the reason. Who knows. I have observed monsters load in the apropriate places. Yetis always plague the Northerners and Serpents/Scorpions the Dunies.
NorthDragon

Post by NorthDragon »

In v1.2, there are now custom options for monsters.
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

NorthDragon wrote: December 12th, 2020, 7:54 am In v1.2, there are now custom options for monsters.
Yes I see you can now limit the number on map and also disallow certain difficult ones. I've been trying it with a reduced limit of 6 in 4 new 1.2 games. Alas it doesn't really affect the real problem which is having multiple monsters spawn in the same exact area all at once. Quite a few times I've battled a Sea Serpent + a Water Serpent in the SE for example. Only a setting of 1 would enforce that. Still the random monsters are of course a major part of the fun especially when playing vs the computer. I will probably got back to 12 since it hasn't really changed the clustering of monsters.

As regards 1.2's new recruits I see that all but the Dunefolk get some big lvl 2/3 recruits. The Dunies are still disadvantaged by having to fight the loyalists (which I recently learned they are most weak against) and having no extras beyond the Tavern.

It is too early to tell but I suspect the extra Troll recruits are going to favour the Northerners greatly. Trolls rock vs Undead (their first opponent) and also are the worst unit for the Dunies (their next opponent) to deal with since they are impact vulnerable and do low damage vs the regeneners.
NorthDragon

Post by NorthDragon »

Indeed, a Water Serpent was too close to the bay, this has been corrected in v1.2.3
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

I got 1.2.2 and randomly tried the drakes, I see they get a BIG new drake. Fun. :) Also the Tavern seems to have up to 4 selections now as well as intriguing new choices. The extra units have great appeal I must say. (probably because many of them I see for the first time having only played Wes for a year)
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Just tried out 1.2.4 and it seems that Fog got accidentally turned off by default.
NorthDragon

Post by NorthDragon »

Some units come from episodes main campaigns. As for fog, these are the default settings now, but can be changed in general settings.
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

NorthDragon wrote: December 26th, 2020, 10:28 pm Some units come from episodes main campaigns. As for fog, these are the default settings now, but can be changed in general settings.
I'm not great at campaigns which is why I know so few of them. :)

Why is fog off by default now? I'm curious to know the reason. I've edited my files to make fog default (since turning off map settings can have unfortunate side effects of turning off other scenario elements) as I can't stand to have to slowly watch all the computer moves. I also like fog. :) I like shroud too but it is not right for this scenario IMHO.

P.S. I think I recognize the inspiration (possibly) for this scenario. Wilderlands! Mind this scen. is much better than Wilderlands which can play very tediously and hasn't got quite as interesting a map.