Return to Trent RPG (the long-awaited sequel to Fall of Trent)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheChosenOne

Re: Return to Trent RPG (the long-awaited sequel to Fall of Trent)

Post by TheChosenOne »

I played it just now. Two players had OOS, DrNemuri and Tapczanek. They downloaded the game through Steam on 8 April, so I am guessing they have the latest version. Please find the save file attached.

Update: We played again, this time with ScegfOd, who does not have Fall of Trent. There were no OOS errors. Hope this helps!

Update 2: Playing with the XP Mod (the one that gives xp for healing and curing) causes OOS on turn 1. Does this help? To clarify, I never used this in the previous games.
Attachments
5p - Return To Trent Turn 3.gz
(699.83 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

We finally got around to beating this one.

It. Is. Epic.

What an amazing final battle.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
DarkHorse

Post by DarkHorse »

hi Bob,
great you bring out new stuff for BobsRPG, thx!

i find a major bug, in that on turn 1 and sometimes after, when moving your character gives you character points.
So i have 15 points for my skills at the beginning of turn, after ive moved my unit, i have 35 skill units! seems to happen always for me.

cheers
dh
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Hi DarkHorse. Actually that's meant to happen. The objectives are supposed to explain this:
"Because you're playing this as a standalone scenario without playing Fall of Trent first, all characters will receive a balancing bonus when they first move. You'll be awarded a certain amount of XP, depending on the level of your leader."
The idea is that you can play Fall of Trent and Return to Trent back-to-back with the same characters as a two-part campaign. However, if you just want to play Return to Trent it gives you extra character points to balance the XP you would have got in Fall of Trent. So don't feel guilty about spending those points, you'll need them. :)
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
DarkHorse

Post by DarkHorse »

Aha!
Ok, ill spend those points and stop being guilty, lol
danedormio

Post by danedormio »

I can't figure out how to get through the gate to the wizard's tower at the very beginning. Can you drop a hint?
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

danedormio wrote: March 7th, 2021, 6:05 am I can't figure out how to get through the gate to the wizard's tower at the very beginning. Can you drop a hint?
If you're still stuck, here's a tip...
Spoiler:
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Typo in main.cfg seige -> siege
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

Hello. :)
Before I begin, I want to specify I played this on 1.14.14. I cannot get the dev builds -- they're not ported to Android. So if you have fixed anything, apologies in advance. Also I played this as a standalone since I wanted to play it as soon as possible, though I will test the campaign mode later.

I've been a fan of your RPG scenarios for a couple years now -- played the other five a few times. I was not aware there was a sixth until just yesterday, and when I found out I got to playing not soon after, a sequel to The Fall of Trent sounded amazing to me.

I played on local mode, controlling all five characters, as is my preference. I do this so I can build a party more to my liking. While I played through the scenario, I thought it was very fun. It took me about 70 turns to get to the base, though that was because I split up my party and hit all 6 locations in time.

I also checked the scenario code and map in the map editor to see if there was anything I missed and to just check out the code in general.

One thing I do like is how the whole bottom area of the map is the top few rows of TFoT and the map is the same width. Makes me think that someone could attach both and merge the code easily..though it might be a pain to fix all the coordinates in the code. Still very cool nonetheless, even if the player can't see they're coming from Sujato's castle. The map even just using a couple lines from the last map creates a sense of consistency.

Another thing that I liked was the references to TFoT's characters. I missed the Greyham villagers, the Dwarves and the Wose. The Shylanis part was great and it seems the scenario will spawn Yeltsin if you keep him alive in TFoT, though I did see Holte and Simdry were left out of the code. The Goldrog comeback was *great*. Also loved the portal summoning chasm animation.

Two (albeit small) critiques I would give is the dwarves and the very end dialogue. The Dwarves unlike the other factions I sided with (elves, cultists, dunesfolk) did not give me Level 2 recruits or any sort of "Extra" support after their leader moved. Though I suppose Yeltsin can make up for this if you keep him alive. The level 1 recruits just seemed off to me since every other faction gave level 2 recruits and a support unit or two upon moving.

The very end dialogue was off for me. It said "With the death of [....]" but there was no name there. I think there was a macro there to determine the name of the last enemy to die but it didn't work for me.
Novice campaign creator.
Developer of "Dwarvish Kingdom" for 1.14.x; intermediate Dwarvish campaign. Any and all constructive feedback, is greatly appreciated! If you have played it, please DM me :)
More campaigns to come soon :)
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

Played it again today doing the opposite choices of what I did last time. I've encountered two issues.

- Kull had the Knalgan recruit list for whatever reason but in the last match he had no recruit list at all.
- Maxine or whatever was the stranger at the gate and the gate guard referred to her as a him. A minor issue but you could change the guard's usage to them in case the female necromancer spawns or you could change the necromancer to male.

Overall, great scenario though! Just wanted to provide my thoughts and bring up a couple other issues I saw.
Novice campaign creator.
Developer of "Dwarvish Kingdom" for 1.14.x; intermediate Dwarvish campaign. Any and all constructive feedback, is greatly appreciated! If you have played it, please DM me :)
More campaigns to come soon :)