A Random RPG Adventure

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PapaSmurfReloaded

Re: A Random RPG Adventure

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

Fixed a few tiny bugs and changed a few things in the AI DM.
PapaSmurfReloaded

New version out with some tweaks and bug fixes in the AI DM mode.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Tiny patch: Generic unit spawned by random battles check passability.
PapaSmurfReloaded

-Fixed a unit placement bug in Ravenburgh map.
-The Dungeon Master now has an option to add overlays to units in his Modify Unit menu.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Fixed a bug that caused units to lose free upkeep upon advancenment.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Fixed a typo and altered slightly the gold reward formula of battles.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Fixed minor bugs in ARRPGA AI quests.
PapaSmurfReloaded

New version with minor tweaks to the DM Menu.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

I like this add-on. It's well made, quest are simple, but well written. It uses simple structures, but offers players a variety of options what they can do, such as crafting, collecting materials, visiting taverns, quests, raiding towns and so on.
Well done!

Still there could be more such as a random trader which offers you to buy a limited amount of herbs, iron, meat, fish or skins or maybe even items.
You could also show the parties materials when crafting.

Two things annoy me however, but I've also have a way to fix it.

As a single player it takes a lot of time to move your party. Why not moving all party members to the same spot of the last movement, except in battles. I think this mechanic might work in multiplayer as well. As far es I remember we experimented with that in World of Wesnoth.

The other thing might be a bug. I've discovered that you can get a negative income. I don't think this is intended. I'm not quite sure what caused it, but it's gone as soon as the heroes level up, so I believe the units are not loyal or lost this trait somehow. In some tight situations negative income will drain all your parties gold as it applies each turn they move. And they have to move a lot, especially when it comes to water terrain, where they can hardly move one spot.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
PapaSmurfReloaded

Hey Heindal thanks for the feedback!
Still there could be more such as a random trader which offers you to buy a limited amount of herbs, iron, meat, fish or skins or maybe even items.
You could also show the parties materials when crafting.
That's a cool idea, maybe I could add a random event in which the party runs into a trader with uncommon items. Sounds good.
As a single player it takes a lot of time to move your party. Why not moving all party members to the same spot of the last movement, except in battles. I think this mechanic might work in multiplayer as well. As far es I remember we experimented with that in World of Wesnoth.
But what would happen if the player wanted different units to go in different directions? That's the issue.
The other thing might be a bug. I've discovered that you can get a negative income. I don't think this is intended. I'm not quite sure what caused it, but it's gone as soon as the heroes level up, so I believe the units are not loyal or lost this trait somehow. In some tight situations negative income will drain all your parties gold as it applies each turn they move. And they have to move a lot, especially when it comes to water terrain, where they can hardly move one spot.
Many versions ago ARRPGA did have that bug, because units lost the loyal trait after leveling. Can you give some more info about this?
I thought it was fixed, I'll look into it.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Hey PapaSmurfReloaded,

I played the classic version (an Island with different villages). I found two "mercs" or "extra units" a dwarf and a bowyer. First I believed that these "extra units" caused this negative income (which would have made sense). But finally I realized that every of my heroes had either -2 or -1 income, not only those who had a merc.

After I leveled one of my heroes up to level 3, the negative income was gone for this hero. This even happened with my "draug" who just received some extra hp for the levelup. Maybe the hero units lose loyal when they are resurrected. The only thing strange was that almost every teammate at least died once and that a town spawned several units to help me to defeat several foes. After that, one of the npc guards was heavily wounded and blocked the village.

Maybe overtaking this village by a neutral side, had caused this or the spawned units somehow require income? And there is of course the problem, that the villages can be blocked by neutral npcs. Maybe you should add an option the scare neutral units away ^^ "Ssh" "Ssh".

I also had trouble with the Kraken Quest. After trying to enter the boat by just moving my heroes on it, I found out that you could enter the boat, but only from one spot, even so there where two or even three possible locations from where you could board it, but the icon to board only shows on one of them (the pier obviously)! The second problem with the Kraken quest, was that not all tentacles attacked. So I could never finish the quest, as one tentacle needed to be found by exploring, which is a little bit hard as it is unmoveable terrain. To solve this i recommend to add something like a quest diary. You already have something like that in the party info, but it only gives a spot. If it would give additional information, it could help many players who are stuck in a quest.

Considering the teleport idea, you could add an option for that, for example "gather" or "assemble". So the team can decide what they do.
I don't think it's wise to go alone as hero and part of the fun is that they last hero in the row suddenly causes an ambush.

But it would make things for single players easier and faster if the units would teleport. However it's just a suggestion, you don't have to follow.
In World of Wesnoth I made a teleport group scroll, which teleported the entire team to one location. Powerful, but it had it's price.

Thanks again ^^

Heindal
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
PapaSmurfReloaded

After I leveled one of my heroes up to level 3, the negative income was gone for this hero. This even happened with my "draug" who just received some extra hp for the levelup. Maybe the hero units lose loyal when they are resurrected. The only thing strange was that almost every teammate at least died once and that a town spawned several units to help me to defeat several foes. After that, one of the npc guards was heavily wounded and blocked the village.
It would be quite odd if resurrecting removed loyal, since when unit dies they are stored, and they should be unstored as they are at resurrection.
Maybe overtaking this village by a neutral side, had caused this or the spawned units somehow require income? And there is of course the problem, that the villages can be blocked by neutral npcs. Maybe you should add an option the scare neutral units away ^^ "Ssh" "Ssh".
Uh, that's still happening, I see. This happened in Midgard right?
I also had trouble with the Kraken Quest. After trying to enter the boat by just moving my heroes on it, I found out that you could enter the boat, but only from one spot, even so there where two or even three possible locations from where you could board it, but the icon to board only shows on one of them (the pier obviously)!
I''ve seen people having issues with that before, I'll add a label or something to clarify how to board the boat.
The second problem with the Kraken quest, was that not all tentacles attacked. So I could never finish the quest, as one tentacle needed to be found by exploring, which is a little bit hard as it is unmoveable terrain. To solve this i recommend to add something like a quest diary. You already have something like that in the party info, but it only gives a spot. If it would give additional information, it could help many players who are stuck in a quest
That's odd, the tentacle never moved closer to the ship on its own if you placed a unit next to water?
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Uh, that's still happening, I see. This happened in Midgard right?
Yeah, it was Midgard City. Make the town accessible from a nearby spot would work to. It works for the campfire, too.
I admit that I've added a feature like your campfire in Strange Legacy, even so I never played your RPG before :oops:.
The second problem with the Kraken quest, was that not all tentacles attacked. So I could never finish the quest, as one tentacle needed to be found by exploring, which is a little bit hard as it is unmoveable terrain. To solve this i recommend to add something like a quest diary. You already have something like that in the party info, but it only gives a spot. If it would give additional information, it could help many players who are stuck in a quest
That's odd, the tentacle never moved closer to the ship on its own if you placed a unit next to water?[/quote]

You have to explore the surrounding territory to remove the fog. It was a tentacle on the north east border, but as I defeated the Kraken I believed the quest was already over. As I was constantly attacked by raids after killing the Kraken, I believed the quest was broken and I couldn't leave the ship. Maybe place the Kraken tentacles with a higher aggression. Do you use a guardian ai? As far as I seen this seems to be your default.

Btw. I have some performance issues when moving. Do you know anything about that?
PapaSmurfReloaded

Yeah, it was Midgard City. Make the town accessible from a nearby spot would work to.
That might work, however I'll also replace the white units in midgard.
You have to explore the surrounding territory to remove the fog. It was a tentacle on the north east border, but as I defeated the Kraken I believed the quest was already over. As I was constantly attacked by raids after killing the Kraken, I believed the quest was broken and I couldn't leave the ship. Maybe place the Kraken tentacles with a higher aggression. Do you use a guardian ai? As far as I seen this seems to be your default.
I'll try placing them closer to the players ship.

Code: Select all

Btw. I have some performance issues when moving. Do you know anything about that?
Probably due to map size.
PapaSmurfReloaded

New version out.
-AI Mode has a new random event (Wandering Merchant)
-Now players without quests may also face some neutral monsters, added to alignment-dependent monsters.
-Tweaked a quest dialogue.