SXRPG Version 5.2.3 - now on 1.12 Server

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheChosenOne

Re: SXRPG Version 5.2.3 - now on 1.12 Server

Post by TheChosenOne »

I have started playing this again, and played SX Castle of Cantar. Unfortunately, it seems that there is an error which makes the game crash. Please find the screenshot attached.

The error starts with a black minimap. It's gone. After sometime, whatever you mouseover will turn into black hexes, so you really can't see anything. If you attempt to locate your leader by pressing n, it will draw a hex of your leader following wherever your mouse is. Sometime later, the game either crashes or becomes so unplayable that you quit the game. When you do, instead of being sent to the lobby, the game crashes with the same message.

I am playing on version 1.14.11, with the default map settings.

As a side note, I am not sure if this is intended, but there is absolutely no roaming creeps anymore - every unit we encounter are either ambush units, or guards with 0 movement.
Attachments
Wesnoth error.png
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

Hi,

I am testing the other maps and found the same type of error in Temple of Bones. Please find a save attached where the minimap was already blank. Try moving your mouse to see the weird hex effect in play.

There is an Invalid WML error: "[unstore_unit}: variable 'nocaptainqq2' doesn't contain unit data"
Attachments
SXC Error.png
SXRPG TempleOfBones Turn 2.gz
(467 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
---Konrad III

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
duuuuude

Post by duuuuude »

Hi Mabuse, first of love these maps, they r legend. specially reinstall wesnoth after couple years to play them, but on 1.14 i guess there is some bug im getting that the creeps are not even spawning, and the woses/minibosses/spiders etc in caves etc are not even attackin u when ur in their range
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

I got a game crash after playing this. I mentioned the details in the Technical Support section, but I will also attach here the screenshot and logfile. I was playing SX Isle of the Dead.
Attachments
Wesnoth SXC rendering error.png
wesnoth-20200426-183813-4692 - Copy.7z
(70.55 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
---Konrad III

Putre

Post by Putre »

Hello, i was always a huge fan of sxrpg, years ago i played them a lot, nowadays no matter how hard i try i really don't like the balance of the new maps, i really loved castle of cantar and evil dead, but i can't play them anymore since the ai is dead, so, i looked for answers in the forum, i've noticed the octalot post and a tried to fix the problem, at first i looked a bit at the code but the ai algoritm was already ai_default_rca on the cfg just like factions were already on custom, so i tried to download the fix but the ai is still dead, am i doing something wrong? I Replaced the files and even tried to leave the old files togheter with the fix. Did i miss something? The directory i used was: sxcollection/unbalanced/scen_new inside the my games folder, if anyone could help i would really appreciate it.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

Putre wrote: July 4th, 2021, 10:58 pm Replaced the files and even tried to leave the old files togheter with the fix. Did i miss something? The directory i used was: sxcollection/unbalanced/scen_new inside the my games folder, if anyone could help i would really appreciate it.
There are two survival add-ons with a Castle of Cantar map, for SXRPG the directory with files to fix is SurvivalXAddOnPacks/scn.

Someone else recently sent me a private message about fixing SXRPG; if they're still working on it then I assume they'll post here soon.
Putre

Post by Putre »

octalot wrote: July 5th, 2021, 7:35 am There are two survival add-ons with a Castle of Cantar map, for SXRPG the directory with files to fix is SurvivalXAddOnPacks/scn.

Someone else recently sent me a private message about fixing SXRPG; if they're still working on it then I assume they'll post here soon.
The fix actually worked, the only problem that i have is that apparently there are still serious bugs, like a ranged caster not retaliating on ai ranged attacks and such, oh well i hope they can make a good work with the fix, best of luck for them.

Thank you for your time ocatalot.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Hello there. :) Yesterday i had some planty free time and was bored from other games, and then i remembered battle for wesnoth and SXRPG.
wanted to dash through a dungeon and have fun

i just played WIZARD map on 1.12 yesterday (expierienced-difficulty - 3 - players - needed 105 turns - lost 2/3 of my party on Darth Saul (arcade mode), but that was totally worth it (win is win), i quite underestimated him tbh, and also forgot a take a crucial potion to compensate the aura damage) and was surprised how much fun ist was, (after binding hotkeys to magic movement/hitRun and cyan potion), apart from the unintuitive menu that made it difficult for me, even as someone who should know what he is doing, not to make mistakes at hero-design and the need to start over (e.g. forget spend movement points, since movement points are hidden at bottom of enhancements)

while my SX skilly were rusty and i didnt remember a lot of things, and played some other games in the meantime as well, i instantly noticed that the MENU and INFORMATION given in thew gamestart where partly unintuitive and that made it hard even for me as a former maintainer NOT to make mistakes in setup

so its quite hard for a new (and even experiencd player like me) to make a good setup and have fun instantly.
so things to improve are:

- traits better structurized, no "cave-trait-choice" for units that already have "cave-move-cost" at 1 for example

- better "automatic-dokumentation" via more INTUITIVE, seld explanatory menu design
- shop menu should be structured that you simply work your way top to bottom and get a playable hero - at least if you are able to read.
(for example also be able to BUY movement points in MOVEMENT menu)
- important things not be hidden under a [censored] of useless crap

- some abilities could be made visible in other menues.
- magic movement/hit-and-run is considered mandatory from this point on and will be given at start to all players. technically that means a +50/75 gold, +1 ability bonus for all players, but its not important so much i think.

- BASIC SX Era will be MAX LEVEL ONLY

- the menu-scales a bit small a higher resolutions

ABOUT 1.14:
--------------------

about the things that its broken on 1.14 i think its sad, unfortuanately i sersiously lack (right now) the motivation to go deeper into the issue, i think it has something to do with not all players a present and perhaps how the AI(Side) is now setup at gamestart, but i really cannot tell much about it at the moment

i would really appreciaty some cooperation with people that already know or are able to understand where the problem is,
and would myself better focus to make another map - as i left i has a project going, but procrastinated it more and more - but the MAP is already finished, i just couldnt motivate myself to code all the new units and so on -

i also have a new computer, with more calculating power, better monitor and such, so i would need to dig out the old stuff from the old computer and bring it on.

so heres an oficiall request for a cooperation with anybody or several pleople as co-maintainers on the technical level, as well the creative department

i myself keep AT THE MOMENT adding stuff for 1.12 version (wesnoth .12 stil works like a charm and server is running) until the technical issue is fixed, atm i really like to add and finish a new map rather than looking ans searching what the heck happened from 1.14 to 1.12 that nothing works anymore.

i think it has something to do with less than5 players, but i dont know if the maps actual works with 5 players tbh in 1.14

as i read that some guys are already making progress with the "porting to .14"-thing here i would love that they share their work and information to help me understand and solve where the problem is. i have no clue why on 1.14 an ai-side does not work anymore, when it worked perfectly on 1.12

i looked into some things (very shortly) but could not find so many syntax changes
Last edited by Mabuse on August 28th, 2021, 9:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

So in short: whoever helps me with porting that thing to 1.14 is welcome :) - feel free to pn me and give me information
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

At this point might be better to skip 1.14 and focus on 1.16.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Ravana wrote: August 28th, 2021, 11:05 pm At this point might be better to skip 1.14 and focus on 1.16.
any chances that i might just load my 1.12 stuff to 1.16 and it works? :)
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

If it doesn't work going from 1.12 -> 1.14, then it definitely won't work going from 1.12 -> 1.16 either.

Also keep in mind that generally the add-ons servers that are kept available for people to upload add-ons to are the current and previous stable versions. When 1.16 comes out, that would be 1.16 and 1.14, so the 1.12 add-ons server will no longer accept uploads probably a month or two after 1.16.0.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Pentarctagon wrote: August 29th, 2021, 6:04 am If it doesn't work going from 1.12 -> 1.14, then it definitely won't work going from 1.12 -> 1.16 either.

Also keep in mind that generally the add-ons servers that are kept available for people to upload add-ons to are the current and previous stable versions. When 1.16 comes out, that would be 1.16 and 1.14, so the 1.12 add-ons server will no longer accept uploads probably a month or two after 1.16.0.
Hello - well, that seems to be true - however ...

i guess i found the problem with the ai.
if im right its pretty trivial.

so theres gonna be an upload for 1.14 anyway.

right now i might play a bit Temple of bones in the new 1.14 version.
to test things out, and then

some old maps need to be overworked - (terrain issues) and then upload :)
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

HELLO,

someone took me a favor and ran maintenance during my absence, which is appreaciated, and loaded the 5.2.3 on server.

PROBLEM IS:
---------------------
i got a running 5.2.4. version, and cant upload it, since it say the passphrase is incorrect.

so we need a soution on that matter, 5.2.4. is wating for upload whith a bunch of bugfixes (itemsystem)

i post a list of changes and hope someone can help me out with the passphrase :)
after all, theres maybe a new map in the next Days, maybe week

the new version 5.2.4. should run ok, i fixed a coulpe of things, beside that ai things which was trivial, 1.14 also reacts a bit more sensitive on unstoring non-existing variable, so that needded to be fixed, the item-system was based on wrong assumptions and sometimes placed items wrong, so i had so look out for a better system, sometimes mage/ranged didnt retaliate in melee, this was probably caused (in 1.14) because of my "ai-improvement calculations", which are now obsolete since our PC's are so much faster in 2021. also i read that you may disbale precombat calculation in settings now anyways. in any case i just deleted that stuff and now they retaliate. (so far ;))

anyways, in my playtests i didnt expierience lag.

what to exspect (when i wil be able to upload it)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5.2.4:

- Port to 1.14
SXRPG supports Wesnoth 1.14 now

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bug-Fix:
---------
- fixed name of a GFX in order to be loaded properly

- recruit lists get now deleted at game start

- items will be placed and picked up correctly
(old system was messed up and didnt work properly)

- sometimes unit not defending/retaliating at all --> fixed

GAME BALANCE:
--------------
- all weapons that are not ranged, or melee will be removed from players arsenal
- all weapons that are not blade, pierce, impact, arcane, fire or cold are removed

- weapon specials can only be added on max level to default weapons
(in order to avoid money loss because of changing weapons between levels)

Heros+Shop:
------------
- Reworked Traits (all Traits provide a basic RegenAbility(reg15), Terrain Traits only Show
if the Unit can utilize it)

- All units recieve "Regen15" at start, this minor ability can help play the early game without need to buy Megaregen at start.
(since the base HP is also lower at start, so there is not too much benefit getting it very early). it may even allow for different approaches,
though i would probably not recommend that.

- "Magic Movement" or "Hit+Run" ist now available by default at gamestart, it is no longer an Ability that need to be bought.
Instead it is now default-feature for all Heroes, speeding up gameplay and allow players more options for their turns and react to situations.

- As a benefit free "Hit+Run", a formerly used Ability Slot has been freed, this gives more Options for formerly unused Abilities

- Magic Healing has range of 5 hex now (not through walls, LOS needed), so that you can heal Friendly Units while standing in their proximity, but dont need to be adjacent
(speeding up gameplay and convenience)

- 1xEmergency Terrain-Training can be bought in Item Shop
(for strongly handicaped heroes and to be able to react to certain map circumstances)

- Ability changed: "Alchemy" now -50% Potion Cost (former: -25%)
(to become a useful alternative or in use with a bounty-combo, this Ability needed to become more attractive)

- very slight menu and text changes

(maybe i will also make the summoned demons a little bit stronger on that occasion) :) - and beef up enemy progression by .... 10% or maybe more exponential.
Spirit_of_Currents

Post by Spirit_of_Currents »

Fearless doesn't work.

Edit: I'm sorry, I posted on wrong thread.
There are very much electrical currents in my brain.