SXRPG Version 5.2.3 - now on 1.12 Server

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

roidanton

Re: SXRPG Version 5.2.1 - now on 1.12 Server

Post by roidanton »

Well, either the map is too easy or I'm too good :lol:

Here's the same thing on Expert difficulty, same unit. I could have already won this some ~15 turns earlier, but wanted to kill all the bosses, including the middle one.

Interestingly, you only need to upgrade one single weapon for this map - Melee Arcane Magical Onrush Slow is all that you need. I bought the Iceblade and also used it endgame to kill a few of the trash mobs, but didn't upgrade it.

Having a undead unit really help a lot on this map due to all the units with poison - I tried with Wose and Dwarf Lord before and the Nightgaunt worked a lot better. Not sure whether I like the very few shops on this map - it definitely asks for a more mobile unit.
Attachments
SXRPG_IsleOfDread_Expert_Replay.gz
(477.37 KiB) Downloaded 610 times
roidanton

Post by roidanton »

Well, Mabuse - after pretty much fast-burning through Temple of Bones on EXPERT last night, I have a little feature request for you:

Please add NIGHTMARE difficulty!

A little less starting gold - so purchasing too much hp and abilities like Regenerates will be a mistake again - and get rid of all these high-level boss drop items. Maybe even remove some unique traits like Illuminates from units.

Even for "normal EXPERT" difficulty, I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to have bosses drop items that are basically twice as good as anything that you could normally purchase - like that Hail of Arrows Marksman blade for my Mage - with a trait that's usually not available for that class. Dropping too many ability scrolls could also be problematic because then you could basically just buy stuff and hope for a good roll if you eventually realize that you need another ability.

I'm basically looking for a challenge where you have to have a notepad next to your computer and make some damage / resistance calculations to decide how to build your character.

When I played Temple of Bones the first few times, using a ranged class was very difficult due to all these 'zerkers, so you had to be very careful and often use summoned demon's ZoC to avoid dying. Now, it was just a walk - the Mage can easily kill all the trash mobs and regenerate enough health to only require very few potions. And you can kite bosses while waiting for your Mana to regenerate.

So basically, when two bosses spawn, you immediately kill one of them with magic spells, then kite the other one for some 3-5 turns until you're at full mana again. Not sure whether anything could be done against that in the AI - but maybe limit the ways where you can walk a little bit?
Attachments
SXRPG_TempleOfBones_replay.gz
(625.42 KiB) Downloaded 642 times
Mystery

Post by Mystery »

I like a challenge but I'm not sadistic. I think Expert is plenty difficult enough myself, having to keep up with damage and mobility and kite for mana or HP regen. It seems restarting a few times is a pre-requisite to not getting the D from RNG as it is, if you wanna go for a low-% weapon roll too sure, and one screw-up lategame you can still easily get yourself killed on mini-boss recruits with strong weapons on your lowest resist. *shrug* As for dropped weapons, I dunno what all you can find but most of what I've found is, at best, barely better than shop weapons. Like they'll be +1 damage, +1 strike or something... weapon mods can be useful early but lategame they get replaced by mod combos from the shop anyway. Weapon-wise, your best bet is choosing a unit with a really strong one: Paladin and Sylph have delicious Arcane ones.

Besides, I wouldn't want the game to be balanced solely around our solo exploits. ;) Of course, you're free to suggest whatever you want and Mabuse is free to implement and/or modify what he so desires. I just thought I'd throw my two cents in.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Hello - long time no see :)
was busy the last months.

really like the Feedback and the added replays.

as for the difficulty - i also find expert be enough of a challenge, but of course there is no reason why a NIGHTMARE difficutly couldnt be added. ON NIGHTMARE killed CREEPS would drop less gold (overall -1 perhaps).

that would result in a ton of less gold within a game, making game perhaps unwinable ;)
balance would not be tested against nightmare.

anyways, another way would be to make more crispy maps. :)

as stated before the break, i worked on a random map genrator for sxmaps.
the generator is more or less cool (imo, for the theme that was chosen, still has some fallbacks))
i ended development when calculating (enemy) player starting positions (depending on distances to each other, terrain and such), because being busy with rl stuff (had to learn .. and work after that .... - i thought i could chill a bit after learning ... :lol: :roll: )

anyways, development would take some time still ;)

there is no reason not being able to pimp up a generated map by hand and throw something in the ring though ;)
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
roidanton

Post by roidanton »

Interesting idea about dropping less gold!

Just finished playing WW2 on EXPERT as a Cleric with a Master at Arms - a class that I don't have much experience with - and I've never done a Cleric with this unit before.

I have quite some experience with the Master at Arms and really like the unit because of its super high terrain defense - it's a unit that I've already won both Temple of Bones and Wizard of War a few times before - but I've never played it as Cleric before. So that was a bit of a challenge. To make it a bit more complicated, I also decided not to buy any of the two gold-making abilities or use any advanced boss-drop items. Of course, when I then got the unique chance of playing a chaotic unit with the illuminates trait, I couldn't resist :roll:

MaA is a unit that requires quite a few updates early on before it unfolds its full potential. It comes with skirmisher and fantastic terrain defense, but even with cave explorer, you still have a few +2 move terrains until you get the green cloak. Those negative resistances really hurt badly as a berserker, so these need to be fixed as well. So you'll spend quite a decent amount on gold early on to get movement, resistances and health before you can even think about damage.

The Cleric class is very nice with its great self-healing abilities - but not being able to get berserk slows really hurts badly end-game.

Overall, after getting the initial upgrades, the unit plays out exceptionally well and it was pretty much a walk until all the castle bosses were dead. You can basically go from boss to boss and just easily kill them.

But once you leave the castle, things are getting much more complicated and I had to spend over a hundred (!!!) turns grinding gold before I could kill the last boss. Well, I might have been able to do it a few turns earlier, but really wanted to kill everything, not just snipe and get lucky.

So this huge increase in difficulty between the last castle boss and the outside world - that's something that I really did not like and it did not feel that extreme last time I played this map. Not sure whether that's due to the recent updates or just because I played it very fast.

Maybe you could balance this a bit better - make bosses inside the castle a bit harder, so you can't get outside until you're actually ready for it.
Attachments
SXRPG_WizardOfWar2_replay.gz
(753.59 KiB) Downloaded 604 times
Spirit_of_Currents

Post by Spirit_of_Currents »

Spirit_of_Currents wrote:When I place snow or ice to a hex, only several small chunks of frozen will appear in the hex. The rest is what was there before adding frozen. The previous terrain is the new background.
shadowm wrote:You probably have an add-on installed that defines new terrains with the same ids as the mainline snow and ice terrains.
In my map editor, those snow and ice I was talking about are in "SX-RPG (custom terrains)".
There are very much electrical currents in my brain.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Howdy!

Anyone still playing/maintaining? :)

Could someone please tell me how to get rid of (only) those enervating fire and drum background noises?

And I have issues with the undead trait. First: Why the hell does my undead Hurricane Drake get poisoned?
Spoiler:
Second: Why doesn't my bat become undead when picking up the cursed ring?
Spoiler:
I have a cunning plan.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Could someone please tell me how to get rid of (only) those enervating fire and drum background noises?
Locate those sound files, and replace/rename/delete.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

@Ravana: Thanks for your reply.

I renamed campfire.ogg in its add-ons folder, but that didn't do anything. (Maybe I should've cleared the cache?)

I guess at least the drum sound is from core; maybe I'll mess with it later...
I have a cunning plan.
MCP

Post by MCP »

Mabuse wrote:Hello - long time no see :)
that would result in a ton of less gold within a game, making game perhaps unwinable ;)
Sure. Why not. Let's just make it unwinnable ;p

I can't believe people are still posting about this in 2016. I might have to look into the issues presented because it is such a great series.

So nice to see ".gz" files not blocked by some stupid filter. /appreciated by a software engineer

edit:
Okay yea, the new island map is broken. The spider is the final boss and is tough as dolomite, but the top left boss ends the map prematurely. It even tells you to fight the immortal spider.

The spider and its guards would add an extra dimension... The vampire guards are weakest to pierce and the spider is weakest to blade.

Single player, lawful nightgaunt, cleric.
I had magical, onrush, slow, critical arcane blade and torch. Easy to beat most anything on the island with just that.
A boss also dropped a magical, slow shield, and so I added rage to it later, to help squash nasty spiders. Sold the crappy old slow shield.
In hindsight, I would have kept my blade melee just for the final boss.
Divine health is really nice. When I was fully healing, I would then cast the +250HP option to double my max HP. (not sure if it's +250HP, but it's a lot, like a yellow pot)

In the end, when I figured out the bug, I explored the final boss. Could take down a vampire at day with a blue pot, but the spider boss would outright kill me, even with the extra HP (except yellow pot + divine health). I cleared everything out except all the vampires and the final boss spider.

On the first play through, I was very confused about where to go after the first boss. So much so, that I cleared the third boss before the second boss. Oops.

edit2:
Also on the previous page about rating heroes...
I was thinking if you start the game with a fully leveled hero, a few functions could check, for example:
1. Low resistances? Yes
2. Low dodge? No
3. Bad terrain movement? Yes
4. No abilities? Yes
These all add up to bonus gold to put them on par with #10 maybe.
Then each of the above apply a bonus, e.g. may buy one extra ability, allow buying extra resistances, etc, but only with a lot of exceptions, e.g. if they have only low terrain defense, but are worth a lot of gold, no need to give them bonuses. Allow them to buy a fix to their biggest weakness first, e.g. resistances, but perhaps not all of them.
This could be optional at the start of the game.

Then a team could exploit these to turn a [censored] hero into a god against one boss (maybe), or at least not complete poop.
Pine

Post by Pine »

There is minor issue if era uses custom AMLA code. Following simple change fixes maximum level detection for units with custom amla code.
Spoiler:
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Ok. My first Post in abvout 2 Years. :)
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Hi Mabuse,

I recently played this again with jb and paso, still fun :D

I like all the item drops you have created, it spices up the game at the end, you can unexpectedly make significant changes to your characters because of it so it adds interest. Actually a lot of the changes you have made over time have grown on me.

----

I have also to report a bug:

I played the new scenario, SXRPG Isle of Dread, however, the scenario ended prematurely, and I didn't get to kill Kataa the Ancient. I attach and screenshot and savegame.

It looks to me that, Kataa has only a silver crown and not a gold crown, so he is not the leader and the last side is already defeated. At least that's my best guess, I'm not really sure.

----

Anyways I thought this map was quite good. It's got a lot of the character of Temple of Bones, but it's smaller and faster. It's also quite hard, I died a few times because

1. Brutal berserk is brutal
2. Sea Serpents are brutal

----

If I was going to suggest any changes, I think what I might suggest is that the Rogues (rogue mage and rogue warrior) should get access to slightly different weapons to match their rogue theme. It might also be a way to depower them a bit. For instance rogue mage is very strong at the beginning with the arcane focus weapon, you could take that one way from them and reserve it to mages and rangers. But instead, you could give them access to a "floating daggers" weapon, magical-ranged-blade, or perhaps precision-ranged-blade or just marksman-ranged-blade. Instead of net and sling, you could give them a "bolas" weapon with ranged-impact-slow-marksman. I'm not sure exactly what the damage or cost should be like. I don't have any suggested changes to the maps, they are all nice :)

----

That's all for now!

Cheers,
iceiceice
Attachments
SXRPG_IsleOfDread_Turn_70_End.gz
end of game save
(805.32 KiB) Downloaded 561 times
screen shot of game ended on Isle of Dread
screen shot of game ended on Isle of Dread
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Oh and by the way, let me mention a "challenge" that jb and paso came up with: Play on expert, with no purchase of shop weapons. Only the weapons that come with the character, and the dropped weapons, may be used. I believe that they can beat the Wizard of War map this way.
Can-ned_Food

Re: SXRPG — terrain.cfg patch

Post by Can-ned_Food »

If you are using this in EDITOR mode, you'll need to apply this patch. There could be other conflicts which I have not yet noticed.

SurvivalXAddOnPacks/utils/terrain.cfg

Code: Select all

240c240
<     id=icesx
---
>     id=ice_burn
983c983
<     id=ice
---
>     id=ice-sx
1169c1169
<     id=snow