Red MP Maps

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

RedMoonK

Red MP Maps

Post by RedMoonK »

This is the official feedback Post for my Map Pack:
This Map Pack exists since 2007,
and can be downloaded here or in the AddOns Section of the Game!

Until now 12 Maps have been created.
thanks to Redklabauter and Redsheep for helping me!
(guess how the Packs Name was developed :doh: )
published Maps:
In the past I had a (very) small feedbackwebpage by my own,
but since you can link a forumpage in the .pbl file,
you can leave your feedback here!

I would really appreciate that if you do so! Image
FAQs:
This post will be updated at irregular intervals.
Version History:
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Red MP Maps released for 1.14

Post by Atreides »

I've updated it for 1.14 (actually worked but constantly popped up invalid wml notice - yes that makes no sense :)

Some very neat maps to add some spice to the game. XP boosts and teleports on several.
Last edited by Atreides on April 17th, 2021, 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RedMoonK

Re: Red MP Maps

Post by RedMoonK »

Hi Atreides,
thank you very much!

Maybe I`ll have a look on those notices in the future.
Didnt think anyone cares about my Maps anymore xD
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

RedMoonK wrote: March 6th, 2021, 5:14 pm Hi Atreides,
thank you very much!

Maybe I`ll have a look on those notices in the future.
Didnt think anyone cares about my Maps anymore xD
Oh I didn't think you were around anymore, I would have asked first had I known. :-) Glad that you like it. I changed nothing except put in a extra check for whether a unit was standing on a XP point. In 1.12 it didn't care but in 1.14 it pops up a notice now if the xp point is vacant. Trying to store an empty variable is what caused it. It was just a minor annoyance (xp was still given) but since I quite like these maps I wanted to play them in 1.14 so I took it upon myself to fix it and figure I might as well share it.
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Update:
Version 1.9.2
- cleaned up the code
- fixed a side error in #12
- raised xp 3 to 4 in middle of mtn pass map & added label there
- turned off fog for maps that were supposed to play w/o it
Atreides

Re: Red MP Maps (Jetzt auch auf Deutsch)

Post by Atreides »

Version 1.9.3
- added labels to map 7
- varied xp on map 10 2/4 instead of all 3, same total still
- more typos
- translated into german
Atreides

Red MP Maps Version 2 with new terrains released

Post by Atreides »

Version 2.0.0 is released for Wesnoth 1.16 using the brand new terrain graphics.

Outdoor Dwarven Keep/Castles are the new type now. Deprecated mushrooms replaced by the new type as well. These don't alter map balance or play, they just look better.

Map #1 (Hexburg) has received the new Snowy Great Tree in place of a regular one which was in the middle of snow fields! This alters the underlying terrain from grassland to arctic. The cobblestone road south of the tree is now Icy Cobbles. The roads in the central Hexburg are changed the same way to match the snowy villages there. This latter terrain change only affects custom addon units that look for Snow/Ice type terrains for a special bonus such as the Lonely Era. For most it is still just flat terrain type.

p.s. Using the current map editor on these older maps actually shrank them quite a bit (more efficient format I suppose) so RMM has gone on a diet... : )
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Re: Red MP Maps Version 2 with new terrains released

Post by octalot »

Atreides wrote: November 9th, 2021, 4:46 pm p.s. Using the current map editor on these older maps actually shrank them quite a bit (more efficient format I suppose) so RMM has gone on a diet... : )
AFAIK (without checking the maps themselves), the only change would be removing whitespace. The map editor used to put in lots of padding so that the columns lined up, and now it doesn't.
Atreides

Re: Red MP Maps Version 2 with new terrains released

Post by Atreides »

octalot wrote: November 10th, 2021, 6:25 am
Atreides wrote: November 9th, 2021, 4:46 pm p.s. Using the current map editor on these older maps actually shrank them quite a bit (more efficient format I suppose) so RMM has gone on a diet... : )
AFAIK (without checking the maps themselves), the only change would be removing whitespace. The map editor used to put in lots of padding so that the columns lined up, and now it doesn't.
I think you've hit the nail on the head. I did look at the raw data and saw that some of the old ones are lined up while the newest ones are very compact.

Another change the editor made was to strip out 2 tags map= and border_size= IIRC. These maps go back to 1.6 or 8 or something so it is no surprise.