Temuchin Khan's maps

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Temuchin Khan

Re: Temuchin Khan's maps - more to come

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I've been working on another map. I'm not quite sure when it'll be ready, but when it is, I'll probably post it. It's based on a fantasy world my brothers and I created twenty years ago, so this one will take some extra care before I'm satisfied.
Temuchin Khan

Re: Temuchin Khan's maps - the one I promised in Nov. 2013

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Well, I finally feel ready to release this latest map. Remember, it is based on a fantasy world my brothers and one of my sisters and I created more than twenty years ago, so I had to get it right. I now release it to the Wesnoth community. However, I retain the right to write stories set in this world, if I ever have the time.

Here's a screen shot:
Agaia_photo.png
Here's the map:
Agaia.zip
(4.09 KiB) Downloaded 867 times
And, to hopefully get people interested, here's a brief description of the setting:

Player 1’s lands were once ruled by Player 2 and are currently ruled by Player 6. He is trying to gain his independence. He is seeking recognition from one of the major powers, and Player 5 seems to be sympathetic.

Player 2 is one of the major powers, but was once the lone superpower. In those days, he ruled a vast empire encompassing most of the northern half of the map. He fell on hard times, suffered numerous invasions of Orcs and Undead, and lost three-fourths of his empire. But he survived and emerged intact. Now he is trying to regain his former might.

Player 3 is also one of the major powers. He rules lands that once belonged to Player 2. He is very concerned about Player 2’s ambitions and is trying to organize a coalition against him. He has traditionally been allied to Players 4 and 6, but politics may drive them apart.

Player 4 is one of the major powers. He is in a difficult situation. During the time of troubles, he allied with Players 3 and 6 for mutual defense against the hordes of Orcs and Undead. Together, they survived. However, before the troubles began, Player 4 was allied with Player 2. Whether he will side with Player 2 or Player 3 in the current conflict remains to be seen, especially since Player 6 may take the side of Player 2. The emperor does not want to break with either Player 3 or Player 6 especially since his one brother is king of Player 3, and his other brother serves Player 6. Player 4 also aims to recover some lost territory of his own, particularly in the West and Southwest, where the Hordes of Undead are such a serious threat that he has built a Great Wall in an effort to hold them off.

Player 5 is the youngest of the major powers. His nation arose from the desert sands unexpectedly after he helped Player 6 defeat some Orcs and a Necromancer that were terrorizing the region. Like Players 1 and 3, he rules lands that were once under Player 2, and could probably be counted on to resist him. He is, however, pragmatic, and will side with his interests, wherever those may lie.

Player 6 is the last of the major powers. He also rules lands that once belonged to Player 2. However, his people are descended from colonists sent out by Player 2 in the days of his glory. During the time of troubles, this southern colony survived by electing it own emperor and allying with Players 3 and 4. Now that Player 2 is returning to power, Player 6 may split the old alliance and side with the motherland. However, politics in Player 6’s realm is volatile, and much depends on which faction gains the emperor’s ear, or emerges dominant from the latest civil war, as the case may be. Player 1’s rebellion only adds to the chaos.

Player 7 is the Orcish Horde. He has been pushed back to the swamps and frozen tundra of the northwest by Players 3, 4, and 6, but still has strength, and is preparing his own attack.

Player 8 represents the inhabitants of the southern islands and the steppes. As a whole, they are not aligned with any of the major powers. Again, however, politics in this region is volatile, and much depends on which tribe or coalition is currently dominant. Some tribes sympathize with Player 3, some with Player 4, some with the Orcs and the Undead, and some just want to remain independent.

Player 9 is the Hordes of Undead, along with their corrupt human allies. They dominate the southwest, and are a particular threat to Player 4, who has gone so far as to build a Great Wall in an effort to keep them out. But walls can be breached.

I could have included dozens of other tribes and minor powers, but we have to keep things within Wesnoth's limits!

EDIT: Also, if anyone wants to approximate the cultures in our world, some faction recommendations:

1. Player 1 should have the culture of Early Medieval Slavic tribes. Nothing in Wesnoth quite approximates it, but the Marauders from the Imperial Era would probably do.

2. The Lavinian Legion is the Wesnoth faction most like Player 2's nation. Part of why I was always enthusiastic about the Imperial Era is because my siblings and I already had a fantasy world with a Roman-type nation!

3. Player 3 could be Loyalists, since his nation was the most typically Medieval, or Knalgans, since he always had a strong alliance with the Dwarves, or even Celestials, since he had military-religious orders. The Ukians might also work.

4. Player 4 could be Loyalists, or he could be Kharos, since his nation had martial artists, or even Rebels, since he always had Elvish allies. Zakon from the Phoenix era could also work.

5. Player 5 should be a desert-dwelling faction. Khalifate seems to work well, but most of them would do.

6. Player 6 could be either Arendians or Kharos. He was always proud of his horse archers. The Ceresian League might also work. The Khalifate, however, would not work. Player 6's culture was more European than that.

7. Player 7 should be Orcs.

8. Player 8 could be Aragwaithi or Darklanders. The Aragwaithi's East-meets-West theme is perfect for one of the main island cultures, and the other islands and most of the southern steppes had tribal cultures. Marauders would also work for some of the tribal cultures.

9. Player 9 should be Undead.

More EDITS: Made a few additions to the foregoing.
Last edited by Temuchin Khan on June 30th, 2016, 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Temuchin Khan

Re: Temuchin Khan's maps - Nov. 2013 & Wesnoth Sands variant

Post by Temuchin Khan »

And I also made a variation on Wesnoth Sands, one more like the Wesnoth and South map.

The screenshot:
Screen Shot 2015-08-07 at 7.43.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-08-07 at 7.43.32 AM.png (358.53 KiB) Viewed 14560 times
And the map:
Wesnoth Sands II.zip
(1.99 KiB) Downloaded 738 times
Temuchin Khan

Re: Temuchin Khan's maps - Regions of Agaia

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I wanted to flesh out the world of Agaia a little more, showing everyone a few of the other significant minor powers.

First, the South:
Agaia South.zip
(2.71 KiB) Downloaded 717 times
Agaia South.png
Players 1, 4, 5, 6, 8, & 9 should be the same as on the main Agaia map.

Players 2 & 3 represent two of the southern tribal cultures. The Marauders would be a good choice for either of them. Both are human, but Player 2 sides with Player 4, and Player 3 sides with Player 9.

Player 7 should probably be the Barbarians from the Archaic Era. The Fire Cyclops, in particular, is what his culture is all about. He should also be allied with Player 9.

Now, on to the North:
Agaia North.zip
(2.14 KiB) Downloaded 746 times
Agaia North.png
Players 2 & 3 are the same as on the main map, except that on this map Player 3 should not be the Knalgans.

Player 6 on this map is the same as Player 7 on the main map, and should be the Northerners or some other Orc faction as before.

Player 1 is allied to Player 3. He should be an Ancient Greek-type faction. I know there are two of those in the Ageless Era, but I don't play it much, so I don't remember their names. In a pinch, I suppose the Loyalists would do.

Player 4 is the headquarters of a secret society. It is called the Council of Necromancers, but you don't have to be a Necromancer to join. It has agents spread throughout many of the other lands, and is hoping to stage a coup and take over the government of one of the major powers. Most of the other nations don't seem to take the threat seriously, although Player 5 does, and frequently tries to stamp it out. Player 4 could be either Northerners or Undead. If there is an Orc faction that has both a shaman and an undead unit, that would be the best choice. Player 4 should be allied with Player 6.

Player 5 is the Elves, and should probably be represented by the Rebels or another Elf faction. He should be allied with Player 7, and therefore also with Player 3.

Player 7 is the Dwarves. He should be one of the alternate Dwarf factions besides the Knalgans that has no human units. He must be allied to Player 3. They were always staunch allies.

EDIT: Minor corrections
Last edited by Temuchin Khan on March 31st, 2016, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temuchin Khan

Re: Temuchin Khan's maps - Regions of Agaia

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I just checked out a fledgling era called History Mashup Era or Lilico Era. If it ever gets finished, it would be a good fit for several of the Agaia factions: Spartans for Player 1 on the Agaia North map, Shogun for Player 8 on the Agaia and Agaia South maps, Imperials for Player 2 on the Agaia and Agaia North maps. I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens.
Temuchin Khan

Re: Temuchin Khan's maps

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Yes, after posting these three maps, I'll be satisfied with the Wesnothification of the world my brothers and sister and I created all those years ago. Here goes!

Agaia South Morph
Agaia South Morph.png
Agaia South Morph.map
(23.43 KiB) Downloaded 737 times
Players 2, 4, 6, & 9 are the same as on the original Agaia South map.

Player 3 is the Council of Necromancers from Agaia North. Sometimes it shifts its focus southward.

Player 1 is a tribal group with an odd culture, rather like a cross between Celts and Iranians. Marauders or Arendians would probably be a good choice. They generally had no allies, and mostly stuck to themselves.

Player 5 is one of the minor powers in the desert. It is a very ancient, and rather sinister, seafaring nation. Its culture is similar to that of ancient Carthage, complete with human sacrifice. They are very opportunistic, sometimes allying with one major power and sometimes another or sometimes going it alone, always seeking their own advantage. Nobody likes them, but nobody can do without their valuable trade goods either, so they're probably here to stay, at least for now. South Seas from the Archaic Era would be a good choice. There is also a subjugated tribal group with an African culture in the region, so most of the factions from the Era of Four Moons could also work, especially the Highlanders.

Player 7 is a tribal group with an explicitly Iranian culture. Nothing in Wesnoth quite matches it. I would go with the Khalifate, for lack of a better option.

Player 8 is a tribal group with an Irish-type culture. Again, nothing in Wesnoth quite matches it. For lack of a better option, I would go with either Marauders or Arendians.

Agaia Crisis
Agaia Crisis.map
(36.49 KiB) Downloaded 694 times
Eventually, another time of crisis arises in Agaia. The Council of Necromancers finally succeeds in taking over a major power in a coup! I won't spoil the surprise. See for yourself which one succumbs!

Player 1 is the Council of Necromancers.

Players 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, & 9 are the same as on the main Agaia map.

Player 8 is the same as Player 5 on the Agaia South Morph map.

Player 5 is the same as Player 7 on the original Agaia South map.

Agaia South Elves
Agaia South Elves.png
Agaia South Elves.map
(17.48 KiB) Downloaded 678 times
After the crisis, most of the action was in the southwest. There had always been a small Elf colony there, allied to Player 4, but in the aftermath of the crisis, more Elves started migrating to the South and became a minor power there.

Players 1, 4, 6, & 9 are the same as on the original Agaia map.

Player 3 is the same as on the original Agaia South map.

Player 2 is the new Elvish migrants, trying to establish themselves. Clearly, they should be Rebels or some other Elvish group. Also, this was my sister's country, so try to make sure the ruler is female. She should be allied with Players 4 & 6.

Player 5 is a band of pirates. Either South Seas or some other faction of outlaws would do nicely. Probably they should be allied with either Player 1 or Player 9.

Player 7 is an ally of Player 9. Best choice would be a faction with all the large monsters, but the Tharis from the Era of Magic would probably also do.

Player 8 is the Halflings. They were always an ally or a protectorate of Player 4, but they were never all that powerful. Still, on this map, I thought Players 4 and 6 would need a little extra help, so here they are! Clearly, they should be Halflings or some other group of Little People.

And that's it! I have now successfully transferred a representative sample of the surprisingly complex world of Agaia from our imaginations to Wesnoth!

EDIT / CORRECTION: I have now covered everything my brothers and sister and I created all those years ago. I didn't mean to exclude any further development of Agaia.
Last edited by Temuchin Khan on May 1st, 2016, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temuchin Khan

Re: Temuchin Khan's maps - Maybe Not the Last

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Temuchin Khan wrote:Yes, after posting these three maps, I'll be satisfied with the Wesnothification of the world my brothers and sister and I created all those years ago....

And that's it! I have now successfully transferred a representative sample of the surprisingly complex world of Agaia from our imaginations to Wesnoth!
I take it back. I do have a few thoughts about what would have happened next, enough for two more Agaia maps. But then I really will be done!
Temuchin Khan

Temuchin Khan's maps - Agaia after the Crisis

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Agaia North Orc Civil War

So, aside from many Elves migrating south, the other notable event soon after the Crisis was that the Orcs collapsed into civil war. Here is a smaller than usual Agaia map focusing on the internal crisis of Orcland.
Agaia North Orc Civil War.png
Agaia North Orc Civil War.zip
(900 Bytes) Downloaded 850 times
For this map, you may use the following factions:

1. Marauders - A band of Vikings. But will they side with Players 3 and 5, or with an Orc faction?
2. Orcs
3. Same as on the original Agaia map.
4. Orcs
5. Same as on the Agaia North map.
6. Orcs

Make sure no more than two Orc nations are allied with each other. This is an Orc civil war, after all!

Agaia Latter Days

With the Orcs out of the picture, many of the Elves relocating, and the major powers recovering from the time of crisis, the balance of power starts to shift. New powers emerge to take their place beside the old. In the Agaia Latter Days map, I chronicle the beginnings of this process. Further than this, I have no idea what happens next in Agaia.
Agaia Latter Days.png
Agaia Latter Days.zip
(4.08 KiB) Downloaded 664 times
On the Agaia Latter Days map:

1. Loyalists
2. Same as on the original Agaia map.
3. Same as on the original Agaia map.
4. Same as on the original Agaia map
5. Marauders or Arendians
6. Same as on the original Agaia map
7. More or less the same as Player 8 on the original Agaia map, but see below.
8. Elves
9. Undead or Chaos

On this map, Player 7 could be any of the following:

Aragwaithi
Darklanders
South Seas
Marauders
Barbarians
Highlanders
Phantoms
Undead
Outlaws
Arendians
Sea States
Freemen
Dalefolk

EDIT: I meant to say that Player 7 on Agaia Latter Days was the same as Player 8 on the original Agaia map, not the same as Player 7 on it. I corrected it.
Last edited by Temuchin Khan on December 6th, 2016, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temuchin Khan

Re: Temuchin Khan's maps - Agaia after the Crisis

Post by Temuchin Khan »

For anyone playing my Agaia maps, I just took a look at the new Phoenix era, and its Zakon faction looks like it would be a good for Player 4 from the original Agaia map.
Temuchin Khan

Re: Temuchin Khan's maps - Now for something new!

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Alright. Making all the Agaia maps was fun, but now for something different. This started out as a random map made with SigurdFireDragon's Ultimate_Random_Maps, but I liked it, and couldn't stop tweaking it. Here it is, in all its odd glory:
Cormoran Island.png
9p_Cormoran_Island.map
(10.22 KiB) Downloaded 670 times
Temuchin Khan

Re: Temuchin Khan's maps - Now for something new!

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Well, I thought I was finished, but it turns out I had a few more Agaia maps left in me after all.

First, we return to the original Agaia map and look at the eastern and western halves instead of the northern and southern.

Agaia West
Agaia West.png
Agaia West.zip
(2.67 KiB) Downloaded 687 times
1. Same as on original Agaia map. He may be allied with Players 3 and 8, if they are not allied with Player 6.
2. Same as Player 4 on Agaia North. He should be allied with Players 7 and 9.
3. Same as on original Agaia map. He must be allied with Player 8
4. Same as on original Agaia map.
5. Same as on Agaia North - Player 5 really feels caught in the middle on this map. In the good old days, when players 3, 4, and 6 were still good friends, he was allied with all three of them, and also with player 8. Now that players 3 and 6 are in danger of falling out, player 5 feels as torn as player 4. He knows player 8 will stand by player 3 come hell or high water, though, and he doesn't want to be at odds with him, so I suppose if he was forced to choose, player 5 would probably stand with player 3. However, he'll do his best to stay friends with all of them first. In the meantime, he'll cooperate with anyone who can help him against the Council of Necromancers (player 2 on this map).
6. Same as on original Agaia map.
7. Same as on original Agaia map. He should be allied with Players 2 and 9.
8. Same as Player 7 on Agaia North. He must be allied with Player 3.
9. Same as on original Agaia map. He should be allied with Players 2 and 7.

Agaia East
Agaia East.png
Agaia East.zip
(2.1 KiB) Downloaded 606 times
Agaia East

1. Same as Player 1 on Agaia North.
2. Same as on original Agaia map.
3. Same as Player 3 on Agaia South. He should be allied with Player 7.
4. Same as Player 1 on original Agaia map. He may be allied with Player 5.
5. Same as on original Agaia map. He may be allied with Player 4.
6. Same as Player 8 on original Agaia map.
7. Same as Player 7 on Agaia South. He should be allied with Player 3.

EDIT: I corrected a few misspellings and added some tips about who should be allied to whom to better reflect the world my siblings and I created.
Last edited by Temuchin Khan on December 2nd, 2016, 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temuchin Khan

Re: Temuchin Khan's maps - What do you know? 4 more Agaia m

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I wanted to do these two maps a while ago, but I wasn't sure how to do it. I finally figured out a way, so here they are.

Agaia Fall of the Elder Days
Agaia Fall of the Elder Days.png
Agaia Fall of the Elder Days.zip
(2.76 KiB) Downloaded 616 times
This is a look back to the past, to the fall of the old empire and the rise of the old alliance between players 3, 4, and 6. On this map, players 3, 4, and 6 should be allied. Players 1, 7, 8, and 9 should also be allied.

1. The Orcs, before they were pushed back to the swamp.
2. Same as on original Agaia map.
3. Same as on original Agaia map.
4. Same as on original Agaia map.
5. Same as Player 5 on Agaia South Morph.
6. Same as on original Agaia map.
7. The Orcs, before they were pushed back to the swamp.
8. Player 8 has an Iranian culture. Unfortunately, at this time the worst elements in his society have seized control of the government and allied with the Orcs and the Undead. Later, many of those worst elements in his society migrate to the far south.
9. Same as on original Agaia map.

Agaia Beyond the Southern Wastes
Agaia Beyond the Southern Wastes.png
Agaia Beyond the Southern Wastes.zip
(2.15 KiB) Downloaded 601 times
South of the southern tribal lands is a vast wasteland. Beyond that, rumors tell of many kingdoms. Do the newly arrived Elf colonists and their neighbors dare to explore what lies beyond? Will the inhabitants of the southern regions be friends or foes?

1. New
2. New
3. New
4. New
5. New
6. Same as Player 2 on Agaia South Elves
7. Same as Player 7 on Agaia South
8. Same as Player 8 on original Agaia map
9. Same as Player 9 on Agaia Latter Days

This map is the cutting edge of Agaia. You're free to decide what alliances, if any, there are.

EDIT: I added some additional information about Player 1, 7, and 8 on Agaia Fall of the Elder Days. I also added a comment about Agaia Beyond the Southern Wastes.
Last edited by Temuchin Khan on December 2nd, 2016, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Awesome!! :D I just noticed your maps and I love your them! :mrgreen: I don't know if you want suggestions for improving (if you don't, sorry) but i think that your (already great) maps would be improved if they had embellishments. Windmills, fences, flowers, desert oasis's, tall trees, mushrooms, rubble and other things like that would make the terrain look better and more realistic!

Thank you and great map! :D

EDIT: also another idea i had was that the rivers in your maps could be 2 or 3 hexes wide
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

The_Gnat wrote:Awesome!! :D I just noticed your maps and I love your them! :mrgreen: I don't know if you want suggestions for improving (if you don't, sorry) but i think that your (already great) maps would be improved if they had embellishments. Windmills, fences, flowers, desert oasis's, tall trees, mushrooms, rubble and other things like that would make the terrain look better and more realistic!

EDIT: also another idea i had was that the rivers in your maps could be 2 or 3 hexes wide
Thank you for the positive feedback! As for your specific suggestions, whether I could implement them with the Agaia series depends on whether they would be true to this world as my siblings and I created it. For example, I have about 200 photos of two large plywood boards on which we set up the original version with model trees, rocks for hills nd mountains, and other features painted, and many of the rivers were thin.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Temuchin Khan wrote:
The_Gnat wrote:Awesome!! :D I just noticed your maps and I love your them! :mrgreen: I don't know if you want suggestions for improving (if you don't, sorry) but i think that your (already great) maps would be improved if they had embellishments. Windmills, fences, flowers, desert oasis's, tall trees, mushrooms, rubble and other things like that would make the terrain look better and more realistic!

Thank you for the positive feedback! As for your specific suggestions, whether I could implement them with the Agaia series depends on whether they would be true to this world as my siblings and I created it. For example, I have about 200 photos of two large plywood boards on which we set up the original version with model trees, rocks for hills nd mountains, and other features painted, and many of the rivers were thin.
Thanks for your response and no problem! I look forward to more good maps!