Temuchin Khan's maps

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Temuchin Khan

Temuchin Khan's maps

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I've expanded and modified the Wesnoth map from Conquest 3.4 for use in ordinary multiplayer games. I'm not sure how well balanced it is, but see what you think!

EDIT: Here's a new version of the map. I have made many adjustments, some for balancing reasons and some to make it a better copy of the original Wesnoth map. Let me know what you think of the changes, and if anyone has further suggestions I'd love to hear them!

EDIT: Before I posted the new version, the map had been downloaded 8 times.

EDIT: From now on, if I have a new version, I'll just post it below.
Last edited by Temuchin Khan on October 24th, 2023, 6:46 pm, edited 33 times in total.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: Wesnoth map

Post by Velensk »

Well, I'm fairly certain that I can confirm that this map is not in the least bit balanced (except for by the principles of FFA balance [I.E. everyone is supposed to gang up on the sides that have an inherent advantage] but that is a risky proposition that relies on everyone knowing the map well and how likely is that on a 9 player FFA Map) but I'd still consider it an interesting thing to keep around. This is the kind of map I might use the Gunpowder Age for.

I would advise however, that you make a .cfg for it and reduce the village gold from 2 to 1 as players who survive the early game won't be able to spend their money fast enough with 3 castle hexes and a 20-30 village economy. Alternatively, you could increase the castle size but I really don't think the map is going to need more units (aside, that'll make it even harder to balance out players who can get ahead in terms of income).
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

:) The Conquest Wesnoth objectives say the map was created by a modification of a standard Wesnoth map, created by NULL.
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Hello Temudchin, here is the original from null
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 53#p279653

of course its a great map and if you think something can be improved or done about it - lets go. im sure NULL will appreciate if you improve and upload the map for main wesnoth use.

he also appreciated the fact that it was used for conquest:
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 58#p437258
Hello everyone! I just stopped by to thank the Conquest team for using my Wesnoth map. When I posted it ages ago, it didn't even receive a single comment and I was disheartened to make any more of my own content for the game. I'm happy to see that it has found a home in the excellent Conquest add-on. :)

Now that I'm back, maybe I'll try making some more maps this summer...
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I'll see what I can do for this map. I have some ideas about what can be done with it here and there.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I've made a new version of this map. Basically, I extended it even further to the east, restored some of the features of Null's original version, made some parts of the map closer to the official Wesnoth map, and tried to make the whole thing a little more balanced.

And if anyone can think of how the map can be further improved, I'm open to suggestions.
Last edited by Temuchin Khan on February 26th, 2012, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Hello Temudchin.
I love the new Map and will surely add it back to conquest again.
replacing the old wesnoth map.
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Mabuse wrote:Hello Temudchin.
I love the new Map and will surely add it back to conquest again.
replacing the old wesnoth map.
Cool! Glad you like it!
Temuchin Khan

Re: Temuchin Khan's maps (was: Wesnoth map)

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Here's another map I've been working on. It probably still needs some work, and I'd be glad for any comments and criticisms.

EDIT: See newer version below.
Last edited by Temuchin Khan on March 6th, 2012, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temuchin Khan

Re: Temuchin Khan's maps (was: Wesnoth map)

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Wesnoth.png
And now, a third version of the Wesnoth map, even more like the official map than before. I'm not sure what this did to the balance, but I like the idea of playing Wesnoth on a relatively accurate map of Wesnoth.

EDIT: I'll leave this up since it's been downloaded 21 times, but it's not my most recent version.
Attachments
Wesnoth.zip
(3.24 KiB) Downloaded 780 times
Last edited by Temuchin Khan on November 24th, 2013, 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Temuchin Khan

Re: Temuchin Khan's maps - now with third Wesnoth map revisi

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I should have mentioned that "Mountains and Valleys" is an experimental map. Several years ago I tried my hand at something similar but gave up, and now I'm giving it another shot.

The theory is that if I spread the mountains around enough, with enough other sorts of terrain between them, then even a significant number of them won't make it unbalanced, and it cal still look like a realistic mountain range going through the map and not just around the sides. We'll see if it works. Please do give your comments and criticisms.
Temuchin Khan

Re: Temuchin Khan's maps - new versions of both maps

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Mountains and Valleys.png
And now, new versions of both my maps: two new versions of the Wesnoth map, and one of Mountains and Valleys.

With these two versions of the Wesnoth map, I have slightly increased the amount of snow on the map, particularly in the mountains between Elensefar and the heart of Wesnoth. In the second of them, I have moved player eight from the lands of the horse lords to the extreme southwest.

With Mountains and Valleys, I have mainly increased the amount of forests, hills, and shallow water.

EDIT: I've gone in a new direction with the Wesnoth map. See below!
Attachments
Mountains_and_Valleys.zip
(1.49 KiB) Downloaded 725 times
Last edited by Temuchin Khan on November 24th, 2013, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temuchin Khan

Re: Temuchin Khan's maps - new versions of both maps

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Wesnoth and South.png
Morocco Apocalypto.png
Alright, I've done a new version of the playable Wesnoth map. In particular, I've expanded it to the south, changed one of the player's starting positions, and brought it more into line with South Guard.

I also made a new map, loosely based on the geography of Morocco. Why Morocco? Last year, I came across an unusual theory that Atlantis was in Morocc, and got curious.

Both maps are intended for free-for-all games.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I eliminated all the ice and snow from the Wesnoth map.
Attachments
Morocco_Apocalypto.zip
(2.73 KiB) Downloaded 744 times
Wesnoth and South.zip
(3.57 KiB) Downloaded 757 times
Last edited by Temuchin Khan on November 24th, 2013, 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temuchin Khan

Re: Temuchin Khan's maps - now with Wesnoth Sands

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Wesnoth Sands.zip
(2.32 KiB) Downloaded 774 times
Inspired by Under the Burning Suns, I have turned the entire Wesnoth and South map into one huge desert wasteland. Obviously, a map like this cannot hope to be balanced for all factions. I present it here only for the sake of those who would enjoy the novelty of such a map.
Attachments
Wesnoth Sands.png
Last edited by Temuchin Khan on November 24th, 2013, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temuchin Khan

Re: Temuchin Khan's maps - updates

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I have updated the Wesnoth and Wesnoth and South maps for 1.11.1. As far as I know, my other maps still work for 1.11.1 and did not need to be updated. Anyway, without further ado, here are the updated maps
Attachments
wesnoth.zip
(6.22 KiB) Downloaded 704 times