Ultimate Random Maps 1.5.0 for BfW 1.17/1.18 beta

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Ultimate Random Maps 1.5.0 for BfW 1.17/1.18 beta

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

Ultimate Random Maps
Version 1.5.0 for Wesnoth 1.17.26 and up.

Formerly called Sigurd's Random Maps - Version 1.0.0 for Wesnoth 1.10 series.

This post contains a description of the latest version of the add-on.
For the latest development info and updates, read the most recent posts to this thread.

A map pack with 20 types of randomly generated maps, intended to cover a a wide variety of situations.

Originally created with 11 maps to fill a need for random maps in Random Campaign, the pack has since expanded to represent as many situations as possible. A few of those situations won’t make much sense / be drudgery when used with the default era, and are best used with other eras, (ie, Archipelago makes for an interesting map when used with GambCiv; Ocean is best used with Water Creatures and Flyers, which can be set up in Custom Campaign.)

The maps are:
Archipelago - A group of islands to fight on, the trick is to get from one to another.
Barren - Desolate orc territory with dead land, muddy bogs and more hills than usual.
Cave - With an underground schedule.
Citadel - With a custom schedule with constant lawful bonus, intended as a counterbalance to Cave.
Desert - Desert is the primary terrain. Based on manline Random map (Desert), with a few changes..
Flood – Fight in a flooded valley.
Forest – Fight on elven territory.
Fracture - Time is broken here, with each hex having its own fixed time.
Frozen - A bitter cold land where there is snow and ice as far as the eye can see.
Island - Similar to Vale, but in an island shape and with some mountain villages more likely.
Jungle - Tropical scenery, with forests primary.
Lava – The lava and the light from the surface illuminate this cave as if it was twilight.
Marsh - Swamp is the primary terrain. Based on mainline Random map (Marsh), with a few changes.
Mountains - Explore the dwarven realms of mountains and the caves underneath in this rugged map.
Ocean – Merfolk, Nagas, Flyers, and Sea Creatures have the advantage on this watery map.
River - A giant river flows through the middle of the map, and must be crossed without the aid of bridges or fords.
Vale - Like mainline Random Map, but with a few changes.
Volcano - A giant volcano is at the center of this bleak looking map, most of the time has lava rivers.
Wastes - Sand is everywhere in this extremely harsh environment.
Winter - Snow is the primary terrain. Based on mainline Random map (Winter), with a few changes.

Old first post:
Spoiler:
Last edited by SigurdFireDragon on February 23rd, 2024, 3:37 pm, edited 21 times in total.
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: Sigurd's Random Maps 0.8.0 for BfW 1.9.9

Post by Gambit »

Thank you so much! We really needed something like this. I love the jungle and volcano maps especially.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Re: Sigurd's Random Maps 0.8.0 for BfW 1.9.9

You're welcome ^_^

Having thought about it, I have a few more map ideas, and hope to have at least 1 or 2 of them added in the next week or so. :)
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Re: Sigurd's Random Maps 0.8.1 for BfW 1.9.9

Updated to 0.8.1

There are 12 maps now.
New Map:
Forest - Fight a battle in elven territory.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Re: Sigurd's Random Maps 0.8.2 for BfW 1.9.9

Updated to 0.8.2

Now 13 maps.
New Map: Lava - The lava and the light from the surface make this dry cave illuminated as if it was twilight.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Is it possible to do a generator that produces, not just one island, but a sort of archipelago?

And if you don't mind, I will probably advertise this add-on inside of my new GambCiv add-on. They're so perfect for each other.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Gambit wrote:Is it possible to do a generator that produces, not just one island, but a sort of archipelago?
Yes, I should be able to do that. :) Hopefully, I'll be getting back to the map pack soon, and I'll add the archipelago and some other ideas as well (I have at least 5 more).
Gambit wrote:And if you don't mind, I will probably advertise this add-on inside of my new GambCiv add-on. They're so perfect for each other.
Go for it! I'm happy to see there's a use for my map pack outside of my own add-ons & simple one scenario player vs computer. ^_^
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Re: Sigurd's Random Maps 0.8.3 for BfW 1.9.10

Version 0.8.3 is up on the 1.9 servers. For Wesnoth 1.9.10 and up.

Changes:
Added three new maps, each with a water theme.
Archipelago - A group of islands to fight on, the trick is to get from one to another.
Flood – Fight in a flooded valley.
Ocean – “Merfolk, Nagas, Flyers, and Sea Creatures have the advantage on this watery map.
Did some renaming of underlying macros.
Some minor appearance tweaks in some of the maps.
Volcano – Starting castles are now Ruined Castes.
Marsh – converted all the wooden bridges to rotting wooden bridges.
Removed the ‘Random’ Map.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Can archipelago occasionally have some mountains in the middle of the islands?
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

I'll see what I can do with it. Any thoughts on the other aspects of it?
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Re: Sigurd's Random Maps 0.8.4 for BfW 1.9/1.10

Version 0.8.4 is up

Did some minor tweaks to get more mountains to appear in Archipelago.
francophone

Post by francophone »

I knew that someone other than me did it. And I finally found. :D

I use aquatic maps for special era (factions of naga, merfolk and undead with a recruitable water zombies and a pirate skeleton).
I tried to make castles that match the land, but I'm not happened. I will look how you do that.
My cave map is more like your lava map than your cave map. I also have an other cave map on an older version (not yet changed the terrain names). This is a map with many mountains, some impassable and dug caves and sinkholes. I must seek if I can change the schedule depending on terrain. :hmm:
I also have a volcano map. But mine it's just a few craters of lava at the top of mountains. I love your big volcano (and I have no idea how it's done).

Ditto for the river. Very interesting to have a card cut in two by a waterway.
But I would also have a version with a bridge that will be a major strategic point. it should be feasible by slightly modifying the current map.

I put random cards in the state where they are. I'll have them together in one folder on format to put it on the server.
Attachments
Random_Scenario_water.cfg
(5.23 KiB) Downloaded 822 times
Random_Scenario_vulc.cfg
(6.4 KiB) Downloaded 1108 times
Random_Scenario_cave.cfg
(5.5 KiB) Downloaded 875 times
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Thanks for the interest in my map pack. :)

Here's a quick overview of how I did some of the things:

For the castles matching the land, I do some post-processing in a prestart event.

The volcano is a lot like an island map, but with the water limited in where it is put, then it's all turned into lava using a convert key in the [generator] tag.

As for the River, it's a bit more involved of a hack of an island type map to force it into the appropriate shape. :lol2:

Hopefully I'll get back to coding again soon, I've got at least 3 more map ideas. :)
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Re: Sigurd's Random Maps 0.8.5 for BfW 1.10

Version 0.8.5 is up. :)

New in 0.8.5 - Desert and Winter changed to be like mainline versions, but with some style changes. 3 new maps: Mountains (and the caves under them in Dwarven Territory), Frozen & Wastes (like the previous harsh Desert & Winter, but a little bit harsher).
francophone

Re: Sigurd's Random Maps 0.8.5 for BfW 1.10

Post by francophone »

SigurdFireDragon wrote:Mountains (and the caves under them in Dwarven Territory)
Like my "grottos" random map ?