The Altaz Mariners (2p pirate RPG) now with French translation!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Bob_The_Mighty

Re: The Altaz Mariners (2p non-linear pirate campaign)

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

TheInfernoDrake wrote: October 11th, 2019, 3:51 amHelp! I am über stuck with how to get to the first layer of the ice temple, like I saw the hydra and stuff, but I have just been bouncing between islands for like 400 turns.
I'm assuming you're stuck on the riddle at the ice temple, if so...
Spoiler:
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
TheInfernoDrake

Post by TheInfernoDrake »

Thanks Bob_The_Mighty!
TheBlackDemicannon

Post by TheBlackDemicannon »

Uhm... I'm stuck with Polupa.
Spoiler:
Last edited by Konrad2 on June 15th, 2020, 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added spoiler tags.
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by Computer_Player »

TheBlackDemicannon wrote: December 28th, 2019, 11:22 am Uhm... I'm stuck with Polupa.
Spoiler:
My take on it ..
Spoiler:
As for me. I have no idea where to find the cauldron. hahaha
Last edited by Konrad2 on June 15th, 2020, 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added spoiler tags.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

TheBlackDemicannon wrote: December 28th, 2019, 11:22 am Uhm... I'm stuck with Polupa...
I must have missed this before, but yeah Computer_player is right. You need an item.
Spoiler:
It pleases me that people are still hunting for these tiny side quests. With that in mind, maybe a mod can put TheBlackDemicannon's remarks above in a spoiler tag?
My current projects:
TheBlackDemicannon

Post by TheBlackDemicannon »

Uhm... Thanks, guys! I haven't been playing TAM for a while, and now I'm doing a second try with a friend of mine.
Spoiler:
But anyway, thanks for the help!
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Hi. Going from memory here, so maybe minor details missing...
Spoiler:
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

I'm planning another big update for this campaign. There will be tons of bug fixes, lots of balancing tweaks and plenty of little added extras.
DarkHorse wrote: April 4th, 2019, 6:04 pm Hello bob/jb.
I'm on my 4th run of Altaz.. not that I'm a bit obsessive or anything! Did a 80% noob attempt, then restarted and finished via the 'ally with black blade' route. Then a more hasty run through from a 'my force is mighty' angle via the other end battle. Now I go again but not doing the things I know make it easier and seeing what I can find that I didn't find before, more of an rpg thing...

I would like to complain about the ugliness of the barmaid. I am a professional sailor and we don't go to bars with hideous barmaids after all that time at sea with a bunch of other men, trust me on this.

So here's some initial feedback mainly so far as the game balancing goes. Of course, lack of info on the game mechanic means some comments may be nonsense :)
DarkHorse, I've been going through the comments you made earlier on this thread point by point. I think I've sorted most of them. Anything else you'd like to see fixed or included?

Here's a list of some of the major balancing changes...
1. All random encounters will scale with global turns. To make it more forgiving at the start and more challenging in the late game.
2. Most of the major battle scenarios have had their turn limits reduced to around 40. To give a sense of urgency.
3. The production rate for jewels/spice/rum at mines/farms/distilleries is to be halved. To discourage endless trade runs.
4. The price of the merchandise at Slavenia will be more or less doubled. For the reasons DarkHorse outlined above.
5. The main characters' max XP will be increased (by +8/+16/+24 per level), and it'll take slightly longer to max out weapons.
6. The battle at Dahazi Beach will be easier, but several other scenarios will be a bit harder.
My current projects:
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Hi, tried this twice now. First try I got a Mariner killed before escaping gaol. Careless. Second try I got as far as Farmville but lost an Ogre to the swarming peasant scum. I figure it is hopeless to play on without such a strong free unit so I quit and deleted.

Question: Should I be ultra careful? I tend to boldness (yes I always go into the forest to search for my dog) but it keeps killing me. Oh and there is no hope if you lose an Ogre, I was right about that, correct?

Also wondering how to play on. I never reload, it's normally full restart from the beginning but here it seems silly to redo the gaol breakout. Sail somewhere else than Farmville? Going back seems like cheating since I know what will happen now.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

If I remember correctly the Ogres leave you in the next scenario anyway. >.<
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Konrad2 wrote: December 20th, 2020, 12:25 pm If I remember correctly the Ogres leave you in the next scenario anyway. >.<
Yeah, I remember that too.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

I started a third run at it and cheated my way through Farmville (built recruits dug in all my troops and wiped out the whole Island) and visited the Hideout. Ogres still with me. :)

Kinda stuck now. A few gold short to buy the deep water ship and shallow water area seems very limited. Can't trade and only remaining Island is the scary orange warning coloured Ex... Spent all 40 on recruits in Farmville, guess that was not planned for. The start is very tight and restrictive, I think there should be more easy things to do as one learns to play this campaign. It can get more fussy later on... :-(
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Atreides wrote: December 20th, 2020, 4:43 am Hi, tried this twice now. First try I got a Mariner killed before escaping gaol. Careless. Second try I got as far as Farmville but lost an Ogre to the swarming peasant scum. I figure it is hopeless to play on without such a strong free unit so I quit and deleted.

Question: Should I be ultra careful? I tend to boldness (yes I always go into the forest to search for my dog) but it keeps killing me. Oh and there is no hope if you lose an Ogre, I was right about that, correct?

Also wondering how to play on. I never reload, it's normally full restart from the beginning but here it seems silly to redo the gaol breakout. Sail somewhere else than Farmville? Going back seems like cheating since I know what will happen now.
I think it's fine to restart a scenario if you fail (rather than restarting the whole campaign), but of course that's your call. However, if you're doing it permadeath style then yeah probably best to be a bit more cautious. There are lots of surprises in the campaign, but hopefully none that will leave you in a helpless situation. Here are a few more spoilerish tips:
Spoiler:
Having said all that, I will look at making the start a little easier in terms of the gold supply.
My current projects:
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote: December 29th, 2020, 7:45 pm
Atreides wrote: December 20th, 2020, 4:43 am Hi, tried this twice now. First try I got a Mariner killed before escaping gaol. Careless. Second try I got as far as Farmville but lost an Ogre to the swarming peasant scum. I figure it is hopeless to play on without such a strong free unit so I quit and deleted.

I think it's fine to restart a scenario if you fail (rather than restarting the whole campaign), but of course that's your call. However, if you're doing it permadeath style then yeah probably best to be a bit more cautious. There are lots of surprises in the campaign, but hopefully none that will leave you in a helpless situation. Here are a few more spoilerish tips:
Spoiler:
Having said all that, I will look at making the start a little easier in terms of the gold supply.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

I've just uploaded a new version of The Altaz Mariners! The campaign was finished and stable long ago, but it's now been given a new layer of polish with tons of balancing tweaks and countless bug fixes. There is also new content: a brand new island, a few more subquests and mini scenarios plus a bunch of extra random encounters. On the whole the campaign has been made a bit more challenging during the mid-game and finale. This update was based on a mammoth list compiled during two full playthroughs, plus all the feedback left by players on this thread. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to report problems and suggest ideas. Keep them coming!

You can play The Altaz Mariners through the MP game creation screen under 'Multiplayer Campaigns' or via normal the SP Campaign list.

Here's a long list of what's new from the changelog for 3.3
Spoiler:
My current projects: