The Altaz Mariners (2p pirate RPG) now with French translation!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

DarkHorse

Re: The Altaz Mariners (2p non-linear pirate campaign)

Post by DarkHorse »

Hello bob/jb.
I'm on my 4th run of Altaz.. not that I'm a bit obsessive or anything! Did a 80% noob attempt, then restarted and finished via the 'ally with black blade' route. Then a more hasty run through from a 'my force is mighty' angle via the other end battle. Now I go again but not doing the things I know make it easier and seeing what I can find that I didn't find before, more of an rpg thing...

I would like to complain about the ugliness of the barmaid. I am a professional sailor and we don't go to bars with hideous barmaids after all that time at sea with a bunch of other men, trust me on this.

So here's some initial feedback mainly so far as the game balancing goes. Of course, lack of info on the game mechanic means some comments may be nonsense :)

*Total game spoiler alert*!!
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
regs DH
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

@darkhorse Most of your first part can be summarized as 'too easy' and while it was also a rather easy campaign to beat for me. Most people that I observed on the official mp server had quite some problems beating it and even had to reload even the encounters quite a few times or could not beat them. I don't know whether they were just beginners or whether we understate the additional difficulty when two humans play together, but if disagree with rising the difficulty generally.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
DarkHorse

Post by DarkHorse »

...and there's more

*much spoiling!*
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
regs
DarkHorse

Post by DarkHorse »

gfgtdf wrote: April 4th, 2019, 8:14 pm @darkhorse Most of your first part can be summarized as 'too easy' and while it was also a rather easy campaign to beat for me. Most people that I observed on the official mp server had quite some problems beating it and even had to reload even the encounters quite a few times or could not beat them. I don't know whether they were just beginners or whether we understate the additional difficulty when two humans play together, but if disagree with rising the difficulty generally.
you could be right all that, im just saying how I found it as a non-so-amazing tactical player myself. With the encounters I have been killed so many times early in game, if you get the tough ones early its too hard for me at least, have to reload and sail around them.
DarkHorse

Post by DarkHorse »

yo
Spoiler:
regs
DarkHorse

Post by DarkHorse »

Spoiler:
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Hey DarkHorse, thanks so much for all this feedback. This is exactly what's needed to help balance the campaign. I started a playthrough of the current build and found it all a bit easy too, but I'm cautious of making it too difficult for new players. Sadly, I think having standard difficulty levels might be too complicated at this stage. I will definitely reduce the gold surplus, perhaps by tweaking cargo capacity and capping the commodities produced. I'll probably try to address most of the issues you raised at some point.

It's nice to see someone really exploring the nooks and crannies of this campaign. There is plenty hidden away, though it sounds like you found most of it. Heh, even Polupa! :)
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
wesn

Post by wesn »

I can't get the s....l to appear. It appeared other time I played.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

wesn wrote: May 6th, 2019, 11:35 pm I can't get the s....l to appear. It appeared other time I played.
Ah, the position is randomised so it might be on another island to where you found it last. Or maybe try a repeat visit to where you found it before.
My current projects:
SirAndre66

Post by SirAndre66 »

Hello!

I wonder if you could help me. The campaign keeps crashing for me, when I play with my bro either I'm the host or not. It happens after making the third decision (when the captain wants to beat you) in the intro part. Here is the log:

20190713 20:55:29 error gui/draw: Image: '~SCALE_INTO(265,265)' not found and won't be drawn.

20190713 20:55:49 error addons-client: add-on 'Animals_Age' has an icon which cannot be found: 'units/legendary/unicorn-healing.png'
20190713 20:55:49 error addons-client: add-on 'Bears_Campaign' has an icon which cannot be found: 'data/add-ons/Bears_Campaign/images/animals/brown-bear.png~TC(1,magenta)'
20190713 20:55:49 error addons-client: add-on 'Deterministic_Offense' doesn't have an icon path set
20190713 20:55:49 error addons-client: add-on 'EoM_Bloodlegacy' has an icon which cannot be found: 'images/altar-evil.png'
20190713 20:55:49 error addons-client: add-on 'Eternal_Era' has an icon which cannot be found: 'units/human-vikings/viking-valnir.png'
20190713 20:55:49 error addons-client: add-on 'Home_of_the_Undead' has an icon which cannot be found: 'data/add-ons/Home_of_the_Undead/images/zombicon.png~RC(magenta>red)'
20190713 20:55:50 error addons-client: add-on 'pay_to_restart' doesn't have an icon path set
20190713 21:01:07 warning engine: User blake21 has unknown game_id: 62296
20190713 21:01:09 warning engine: User DoctorDeath has unknown game_id: 62297
20190713 21:01:10 warning engine: User Hejnevar has unknown game_id: 62298
Battle for Wesnoth v1.14.7 (4ce5b52-Modified)
Started on Sat Jul 13 21:09:45 2019

Thanks for any reply!
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

SirAndre66 wrote: August 7th, 2019, 8:38 amI wonder if you could help me. The campaign keeps crashing for me, when I play with my bro either I'm the host or not. It happens after making the third decision (when the captain wants to beat you) in the intro part. Here is the log:
Hey SirAndre66, most of that log report doesn't have anything to do with this campaign, but hopefully someone else might know what those three engine warnings are about. Were you trying it as a 2p campaign on the multiplayer server, loaded from the MP campaigns menu? Also what version of Wesnoth are you using? And what version of the campaign do you have?
My current projects:
SirAndre66

Post by SirAndre66 »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote: August 9th, 2019, 7:12 pm
Hey SirAndre66, most of that log report doesn't have anything to do with this campaign, but hopefully someone else might know what those three engine warnings are about. Were you trying it as a 2p campaign on the multiplayer server, loaded from the MP campaigns menu? Also what version of Wesnoth are you using? And what version of the campaign do you have?
Hi Bob_The_Mighty! We downloaded it from the add-ons and tried both creating a new campaign and loading an autosave, but it both ended in a crash. My Wesnoth version is: 1.14.7 And the campaign version is: 3.2.0
McCallister

Post by McCallister »

Can anyone help me figure out how to get the dog companion? I couldn't figure it out my first play through and I can't on this one either. Feel free to PM! Thanks, if you have advice on any others the only ones i've managed to get are Bighorn, Cashmir, Sayer, and Nippy.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

SirAndre66 wrote: August 21st, 2019, 5:22 pmHi Bob_The_Mighty! We downloaded it from the add-ons and tried both creating a new campaign and loading an autosave, but it both ended in a crash. My Wesnoth version is: 1.14.7 And the campaign version is: 3.2.0
Hey. If you're playing it with another person online you need to load it as a multiplayer campaign (Main Screen > Multiplayer > Join Official Server > Create Game > Multiplayer Campaign > The Altaz Mariners). You'd only load it from the single-player campaign menu (Main Screen > Campaigns > The Altaz Mariners) if you were planning to play it by yourself. If that's not the problem, maybe try to avoid reloading from an auto-save.
McCallister wrote: October 6th, 2019, 11:47 pm Can anyone help me figure out how to get the dog companion? I couldn't figure it out my first play through and I can't on this one either. Feel free to PM! Thanks, if you have advice on any others the only ones i've managed to get are Bighorn, Cashmir, Sayer, and Nippy.
If you know where Ratty is, there are a few ways you can reach him...
Spoiler:
My current projects:
TheInfernoDrake

Post by TheInfernoDrake »

Help! I am über stuck with how to get to the first layer of the ice temple, like I saw the hydra and stuff, but I have just been bouncing between islands for like 400 turns. I have played through TAL before but that was like a year and a half ago