The Altaz Mariners (2p pirate RPG) now with French translation!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Bob_The_Mighty

Re: The Altaz Mariners (multiplayer pirate campaign)

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

TenmaAndValerya wrote: November 30th, 2018, 6:11 am First of all, would love to say that this a really awesome campaign. Thanks so much Bob the Mighty you rock! Second I was curious how to get the items from Thantos Jungle you need for the healing training on Elixion? Is it the statue? I was hoping not because it's got some nice buffs. The only other thing I can think of are the tablets and I'm not sure what to do with those.
Thank you, and glad you're enjoying it. Someone else mentioned this so I looked into and it and realised that you can only get the item on the Thantos during the battle scenario. When you return to the island it can no longer be picked up. I think I meant to make it hard to find, but it's probably too frustrating so I've changed this in the latest update. Unfortunately, that means you won't be able to find it on your current playthrough (unless you reload to the battle). Sorry about that!
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote: November 29th, 2018, 12:29 pm I've not encountered either freeze, but then I've not played it through properly for a while. Would 5) be helped by reducing the size or number of macros called every scenario?
I assume you mean (3) here ((5) is a wesnoth engine bug).
So i took the time to look at loog at what takes how much space in this campaigns worldmap savefiles:

Code: Select all

2Mb
- [replay] neglitible
- header neglitible
- [statistics] 350kb
- [snapshot] 750kb
  - map_data 13kb
  - [item] 9kb
  - [label] 5kb
  - [event] 150kb
  - [menu_item] 200kb
  - [side] 260kb
    - mostly [unit], i don't think you can change much here,
  - [variables] 120kb
    - Mostly side data: [donator], [current_side], [taker], [giver], [player], [side], [trader], [shopper], [side_1], [side_2]. You probably forget to clear them after use in your code.
- [replay_start] 1mb
As you can see the most part is [replay_start] which is basicially a snapshow from when the scenario started, suprosingly its even bigger than [snapshot] (usually [snapshot] is bigger becasue during the scenario units etc will be recuited that are then in [snaphot] but not in [replay_start]). This difference in [snapshot] and [replay_start] is moslikely start or prestart events that are alreadyexecuted in [snapshot] and will thus not be poresent anymore then. I can add an api to disable the [replay_start] complteley in savefiles but that won't be for 1.14 so it wouldn't immediately.

[statistics] contains the information on the previously played scenarios this is also rather big because evetime you enter a scenairo it creates a new entry, i don' think there is muhc you can do here.

[snapshot] is basicially where you can do something. The wml code ([event] + [menu_item]) is 350kb, which is half of the snpahot data, and asumiong the data is dublicated in [replay_start] probably half of the total savefile. [variables] also seems to contains multipel variable sthat weere forgotten to clenupo (listed in the above list)

So yes, reducing the size of macros could help, from the above calculus it seems like you could probably at most reduce the filesize from 2mp to 1.5mb. Whether that would make that lag dissappear, not sure.

Note that all sizes mentioned in this post are uncompresses sizes of the savefile wml, the actual sizes as they are on disk are roughly 1/10 of that.
Bob_The_Mighty wrote: November 29th, 2018, 12:29 pm Also, I forgot to mention that there is an option in preferences>general to turn off 'save replays at the end of scenarios'.
Yes but that's a global setting that effects all scenarios in all campaigns. tTe point is that there are only really annyoing the world map scenarios in particular because they are so short not nothing really happens.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Isle of Neafsey
After both of the get petrified, some of your crewmembers talk and then Hugo (still pretrified) says that he's not going to touch that bed again. I'm fairly sure that this isn't intended.
TAM 1P-Isle Of Neafsey-Auto-Save3.gz
(127.52 KiB) Downloaded 662 times

EDIT:
"Bite of more than you could chew, eh?" -> 'Bit'
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Since the last few pages of this thread have been quite technical, I'm worried people might get the impression this campaign isn't finished - when actually it has been massively expanded and polished over a very long time. So I thought I'd flag up a selection of some of the nice things people have said about The Altaz Mariners over the years...
taptap wrote: February 26th, 2013, 1:13 pm Enjoyable, challenging, funny. I played as single player and am very impressed. First strictly non-linear, RPG-esque campaign I’ve seen.
artisticdude wrote: January 18th, 2012, 4:21 pm Awesome, looking forward to it! :D The 'point & click' style inventory system in particular sounds really interesting.
Araja wrote: February 4th, 2012, 2:07 pm Incredible adventure, my friend and I had a lot of fun with this. World maps are such a fun way of running a campaign, and I liked the gameplay variety in the scenarios. It did feel as if every scenario played differently. Praise has to go to the royal palace because stealth is so unusual in Wesnoth. Finally, I'll have to remark on the unusually good dialogue, which added a lot of personality to the characters. I am once again in awe of your talent.
Lord-Knightmare wrote: February 13th, 2013, 4:32 pm I loved playing The Altaz Mariners (Singleplayer Mode). My rating is a 9 out of 10.
What I liked: The Main Quest, World Map, Trading, Diversified recalls, Sub-quests.
aderidder wrote: February 19th, 2013, 10:36 pm My friend and I are playing this game, and it's so awesome that I've decided to write some fan fiction based on it. Thanks for inspiring me!
name wrote: February 26th, 2013, 5:49 pm I liked the dialogue and some of the storyline twists the most. Your style of characters seem to be a lot more believable as real people than most in the mainline Wesnoth campaigns. In Altaz Mariners the motivations and decisions characters make seem a lot more fleshed out and relatable given the circumstances.
aquileia wrote: April 3rd, 2013, 12:43 am Updated for the sole reason of playing Altaz Mariners in singleplayer mode... great campaign! With the second option how to attack Liberty Island, it has an exceptionally high replay value.
Computer_Player wrote: November 25th, 2014, 7:09 am This is the kind of campaign that I want to see more of! Very RPGish feeling. All in all really solid campaign! Waiting for the next chapter eagerly.
mikeanthony wrote: January 19th, 2018, 7:45 am So far, very enjoyable stuff, and very refreshingly different from the standard "pitched-battle-after-pitched-battle" campaign style! One thing we really liked was the inventory system, and we were left itching to get to use it more. The level design is very nice, and we've enjoyed the way that, returning to the islands after the battles, the characters and dialog have all moved on in light of what has happened. Overall, it's been great fun, a rich and varied campaign.
McCallister wrote: September 10th, 2018, 11:27 am Played through this the other week with my friend and it has reset my expectations too unfairly for any further campaign I play! I remember playing this 5 years back... the second we saw it we IMMEDIATELY hopped on the chance to play. Overall, this is by far the best add on I have ever played for battle for wesnoth! Thank you so much for it.
Faello wrote: July 1st, 2011, 11:01 am Bob, you are one of the best things that happened to wesnoth players :D This whole concept is excellent!
My current projects:
wesn

The Mariners of Altaz

Post by wesn »

Stuck, stuck, stuck. Can't get off Black Rock, can't figure out Ice Island. Help
Bob_The_Mighty

Re: The Mariners of Altaz

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Hey. You might have to clarify how you're stuck. There are items you can find on those islands which need to be used on certain hexes, via the right-click inventory menu.

Can a moderator merge this with the main thread? https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=34254
My current projects:
wesn

Re: The Altaz Mariners (2p non-linear pirate campaign)

Post by wesn »

Sure. I found the boulder but there's no way to leave Black Rock and the boulder only slows down the water. Ice Island remains a complete mystery to me. Is there a way to get more books for the Ivory Tower? Or should I have given the only book to the student?
I've played the game dozens of time and really enjoy it, but I start over each time in hopes I'll get something i missed.
PS The only difference in ships is the number of "villages" and carrying capacity, right?
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

wesn wrote: March 4th, 2019, 10:10 pmI found the boulder but there's no way to leave Black Rock and the boulder only slows down the water.
Spoiler:
wesn wrote: March 4th, 2019, 10:10 pmIce Island remains a complete mystery to me.
Spoiler:
wesn wrote: March 4th, 2019, 10:10 pmIs there a way to get more books for the Ivory Tower? Or should I have given the only book to the student?
Spoiler:
wesn wrote: March 4th, 2019, 10:10 pmThe only difference in ships is the number of "villages" and carrying capacity, right?
Spoiler:
My current projects:
wesn

Post by wesn »

Thanks. I couldn't find the other item on the Island as much as I looked, but I'll try again. Hopefully it won't turn into a pixel hunt (I loathe pixel hunts). I'm also assuming that the only way to get the best ship is to take it instead of the money. Anyway - great game worth the hours on it.
pmax76

The Altaz Mariners - i am stuck too... :-(

Post by pmax76 »

Hi here

First: I Love Wesnoth and i realy enjoy TAM! Great work creating and maintaining this campaign for so many years.
I really appreciate it.

I managed to go through the storm and now going to discover the Islands behind it - so the main-Quest is running.

But atm i am stuck with the following Side?-Quests which i would like to solve (maybe ist even important to solve them?):
I reached the 2nd Level of the "Ivory Tower" - but cant find anything of interest - neither new inventory nor Informations
I cant enter the hut on "Blade Point"
I dont know where "Hellenia" is
I found and cleaned the "Isle of Neafsey" (but cant reenter because my Brothers immediately set sail when trying to reenter)

If someone could give me a few hints where to look....

Thanks in advance
Bob_The_Mighty

Re: The Altaz Mariners - i am stuck too... :-(

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Hey, glad you're enjoying the campaign. It's always interesting (and useful) to know which bits people get stuck on, as there are numerous ways to approach different parts of it.
pmax76 wrote: March 14th, 2019, 8:12 amI reached the 2nd Level of the "Ivory Tower" - but cant find anything of interest - neither new inventory nor Informations
Some things in the campaign are only triggered by special events. Even so, there is something you can always do in the 2nd level of the Ivory Tower.
pmax76 wrote: March 14th, 2019, 8:12 amI cant enter the hut on "Blade Point"
Sounds like there's a subquest out there waiting for you. I don't give spoilers, but maybe you'll find a clue in a shady port somewhere.
pmax76 wrote: March 14th, 2019, 8:12 amI dont know where "Hellenia" is
Some of the islands are randomised so the game picks one of two scenarios to use at the start, which means if you get Isle of Neafsey you don't get Hellenia. This is intended to increase replay value.
pmax76 wrote: March 14th, 2019, 8:12 amI found and cleaned the "Isle of Neafsey" (but cant reenter because my Brothers immediately set sail when trying to reenter)
There are certain places that you can't revisit once you've 'completed' whatever you originally found on the island. This only happens on a few locations, but it was meant to stop people wasting time looking for extra stuff where there isn't any.
My current projects:
pmax76

Post by pmax76 »

Tx Bob!

I managed to play till the end - great Campaign!

The end sounds like there would be another Part of TAZ - will there be one?
KVinS

Post by KVinS »

Hello. I can't play (1.14.6)
After selecting the action on the shipyard the game crashes...

20190322 20:10:29 error addons-client: add-on 'Animals_Age' has an icon which cannot be found: 'units/legendary/unicorn-healing.png'
20190322 20:10:30 error addons-client: add-on 'Bears_Campaign' has an icon which cannot be found: 'data/add-ons/Bears_Campaign/images/animals/brown-bear.png~TC(1,magenta)'
20190322 20:10:30 error addons-client: add-on 'Deterministic_Offense' doesn't have an icon path set
20190322 20:10:30 error addons-client: add-on 'Eternal_Era' has an icon which cannot be found: 'units/human-vikings/viking-valnir.png'
20190322 20:10:30 error addons-client: add-on 'Home_of_the_Undead' has an icon which cannot be found: 'data/add-ons/Home_of_the_Undead/images/zombicon.png~RC(magenta>red)'
20190322 20:10:33 error display: could not open image 'units/legendary/unicorn-healing.png'
20190322 20:10:33 error gui/draw: Image: 'units/legendary/unicorn-healing.png' not found and won't be drawn.
20190322 20:10:33 error display: too many arguments passed to the ~BLIT() function
20190322 20:10:46 error addons-client: add-on 'Animals_Age' has an icon which cannot be found: 'units/legendary/unicorn-healing.png'
20190322 20:10:46 error addons-client: add-on 'Bears_Campaign' has an icon which cannot be found: 'data/add-ons/Bears_Campaign/images/animals/brown-bear.png~TC(1,magenta)'
20190322 20:10:46 error addons-client: add-on 'Deterministic_Offense' doesn't have an icon path set
20190322 20:10:46 error addons-client: add-on 'Eternal_Era' has an icon which cannot be found: 'units/human-vikings/viking-valnir.png'
20190322 20:10:46 error addons-client: add-on 'Home_of_the_Undead' has an icon which cannot be found: 'data/add-ons/Home_of_the_Undead/images/zombicon.png~RC(magenta>red)'
20190322 20:12:06 error addons-client: add-on 'Animals_Age' has an icon which cannot be found: 'units/legendary/unicorn-healing.png'
20190322 20:12:06 error addons-client: add-on 'Bears_Campaign' has an icon which cannot be found: 'data/add-ons/Bears_Campaign/images/animals/brown-bear.png~TC(1,magenta)'
20190322 20:12:06 error addons-client: add-on 'Deterministic_Offense' doesn't have an icon path set
20190322 20:12:06 error addons-client: add-on 'Eternal_Era' has an icon which cannot be found: 'units/human-vikings/viking-valnir.png'
20190322 20:12:06 error addons-client: add-on 'Home_of_the_Undead' has an icon which cannot be found: 'data/add-ons/Home_of_the_Undead/images/zombicon.png~RC(magenta>red)'
20190322 20:13:08 warning engine: User Elder2 has unknown game_id: 43473
20190322 20:13:09 warning engine: User Elder2 has unknown game_id: 43473
20190322 20:13:11 warning engine: User Elder2 has unknown game_id: 43473
20190322 20:13:11 warning engine: User Konrad67 has unknown game_id: 43547
20190322 20:13:12 warning engine: User Elder2 has unknown game_id: 43473
20190322 20:13:14 warning engine: User Elder2 has unknown game_id: 43473
20190322 20:13:15 warning engine: User Elder2 has unknown game_id: 43473
20190322 20:13:16 warning engine: User Elder2 has unknown game_id: 43473
20190322 20:13:19 warning engine: User Elder2 has unknown game_id: 43473
20190322 20:13:21 warning engine: User Elder2 has unknown game_id: 43473
20190322 20:13:22 warning engine: User Elder2 has unknown game_id: 43473
20190322 20:13:22 warning engine: User Elder2 has unknown game_id: 43473
20190322 20:13:25 warning engine: User Elder2 has unknown game_id: 43473
20190322 20:13:56 warning unit: Unknown attribute 'player' discarded.
20190322 20:13:56 warning unit: Unknown attribute 'player' discarded.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

The Orcish Champion deals less damage per hit compared to the Orcish Warlord. Is that intended?

EDIT:
Anyone here with a reddit account and willing to help him?
https://www.reddit.com/r/wesnoth/commen ... _mariners/
DarkHorse

Post by DarkHorse »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote: November 30th, 2018, 11:21 am
TenmaAndValerya wrote: November 30th, 2018, 6:11 am First of all, would love to say that this a really awesome campaign. Thanks so much Bob the Mighty you rock! Second I was curious how to get the items from Thantos Jungle you need for the healing training on Elixion? Is it the statue? I was hoping not because it's got some nice buffs. The only other thing I can think of are the tablets and I'm not sure what to do with those.
Thank you, and glad you're enjoying it. Someone else mentioned this so I looked into and it and realised that you can only get the item on the Thantos during the battle scenario. When you return to the island it can no longer be picked up. I think I meant to make it hard to find, but it's probably too frustrating so I've changed this in the latest update. Unfortunately, that means you won't be able to find it on your current playthrough (unless you reload to the battle). Sorry about that!
This island can be revisitited any number of times and the item repeatedly collected, which possibly wasn't intended?