Era of High Sorcery

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: Era of High Sorcery

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Here's a test that you can probably do:

Unzip the save file, and open it in a text editor. Do a find-and-replace, replacing "new_animation" with "new_animationxx" – that should disable all the custom animations. Then load the save file and see if the problem still happens.

EDIT: another thing you could try is to kill all instances of "code=" instead of "new_animation". That would get rid of the scripts without getting rid of the animations, which could be another useful point of information.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Malarog

Post by Malarog »

Sorry for the late reply, only saw yours 15 minutes ago (the trick is to check if there's a new page after my last post :P)

I have tried changing all new_animation for new_animationxx but it didn't help. i'M not sure what you mean by " kill all instances of "code=" instead of "new_animation" " Do you mean I should replace all of them by new_animationxx as well or just delete them? Delete just the code= part or what comes after too? I really am new to this, does it show? :P
Elvish_Pillager

Darn, guess I was wrong. Replace "code=" with "codexx=", then. (Really, the point here is to just replace a word that means something with a word that doesn't actually mean something. It could be anything, but I got used to adding "xx" to things so that I could easily change them back afterwards.)

Also, to make sure that you did it right: when you replaced "new_animation", can you confirm that the animations went away?

It could also be about some of the unit abilities again, too. Another thing to try replacing in the save file is "abilities".
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Brilly

Post by Brilly »

I'm wondering whether this addon is being actively maintained anymore?

I seem to be getting errors more and more often as I combine this with other mods like Ageless and scrolling maps.
Elvish_Pillager

It is not. I expect that I will return to it eventually, but I don't know whether that will be months or years away.
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

Hey EP,

I came back to wesnoth after a long break, and naturally wanted to play the best add-on ever made. However, the latest version seems to be bugged. I get this error every time I try to go to the actions menu. I'm on windows 10, 1.12.6, and 2.2.0.1.

For those interested, I was able to make it playable with a simple fix. Find \add-ons\Era_of_High_Sorcery\lua_files\dialogs.cfg, and delete these two lines:
195: make_image(EoHS.terrain_symbol_image(wesnoth.get_terrain(x, y)))
205: canvas[1][2].name = canvas[1][2].name

The downside is that this removes all terrain from the minimap in the actions menu. Pretty ugly, but not a huge impact on gameplay. If you're still around EP, a real fix would be awesome. The actual error is in terrain.cfg --> terrain_symbol_image. Apparently, some terrain doesn't have a symbol_image. I'd fix it myself, but I've got no idea how to debug lua, and blind guessing didn't work.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Elvish_Pillager

I've actually found and fixed this very bug in my latest local version! I only haven't released it because I haven't had people to playtest it (and I still have hand problems, so I don't want to do a lot of play testing myself). Want to meet up on the server and run some games with the new version? :-)
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

Sure, I can meet up. You free anytime tonight, east coast time? Also playing a game right now, if you're see this soon :)
Elvish_Pillager

We did, and it was good :)

Now I can release EoHS 2.2.1!

A new release after a long absence! Get it on the wesnoth add-on server now!

– New talent: Forceful. Your attack spells and summons are 20% more powerful, but they cost 20% more mana.
– New map: The Plane of Chaos. A randomly generated map for 2-6 players, where random spells happen spontaneously every turn. (This map can also be played with other eras.)
– Worked around a wesnoth bug relating to animations. EoHS animations should display much more cleanly now.
– Nerfed the new Circle of Protection back up to 12 gold, since I've heard it was overpowered in PvP.
– Fixed a few important bugs that have accumulated during my long absence.
Elvish_Pillager

EoHS 2.2.2 released! Get it on the wesnoth 1.12 add-on server now!

– The Forceful talent was underpowered. I have redesigned it. It is now named Battlemage, and it now gives a 50% attack bonus, with no penalty. Summons get +50% attack and health, but only for one turn.
– New map: Chaos Survival. The Tower of Chaos cast lots of random spells against you. Try to kill the Tower of Chaos before its summons overwhelm you!
– You can now set a default custom appearance that will last over multiple games!
– Added "temperate" as a Change Terrain option (neutralizes both snow and desert terrain)
– Greatly reduced the cost of Construction, and made it make better bridges over chasms (in case that matters)
– Fixed Elvish Lady apprentices not having swords again
– Fixed several bugs with swarm units; I think they should be working correctly now
– Added a few more cosmetic effects to Change Terrain (grow)
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Cool! Thanks alot elvish pillage EOHS os a great addon! (My favorite spell Is the meteor strike :D )
Elvish_Pillager

EoHS 2.2.3 released! A bugfix and balance release. No new spells or maps, but a lot of work went into this one, so I'm counting it as a significant new version. Get it on the wesnoth 1.12 add-on server now!

– Removed a huge source of slowness in networked games. Many things should be much faster, especially attack spells and Dark Pact combats.
– Many tweaks to the Tower of Chaos casting progression, which was too overwhelming in the late game, but not strong enough defensively.
– Petty Necromancy now gives +20% hitpoints, making its stat bonus more balanced with the other alliances.
– Chocobones were somewhat underpowered, since their defenses were reduced in Wesnoth 1.12. They now cost only 5 AP and 24 mana.
– By default, ALL berserk abilities are limited to 3 rounds, to prevent them from cheaply killing high-health units with no attacks (such as the Tower of Chaos).
– Both Chaos maps now have a fixed number of villages, and they don't appear next to each other.
– For flavor reasons, you can no longer Soul Bind wizards/apprentices or dragons, unless they are low HP like anything else.
– Fixed many bugs: Restoration, transferring scrolls between units, banishing AI units, dispelling metamorphosis, metamorphosis making immobile units mobile, error message during meteor storm, mounting units with battlemage bonus,
Elvish_Pillager

EoHS 2.2.4 released! Get it on the wesnoth 1.12 add-on server now!

– New survival scenario: Kill Literally 1000 Zombies.
– TONS of optimizations. This version should be MUCH faster than previous versions.
– Mount now overwrites the rider's movement-related abilities (e.g. skirmisher, teleport), for both flavor reasons and PvP balance reasons.
– PvP balance: Black Cat now costs 13 and has the feral trait, like Vampire Bats.
– Bug fixes: It's safe to reload during AI turns. Khalifate units are considered humanoid by Ogre Fury. Dark Adepts no longer retaliate to melee attacks by swarm zombies.
– The optimizations in this release touched a LOT of the code. There may be new bugs. Please report any that you see :-)
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Oh hey, another old timer alive and kicking--I'll have to see how much the EoHS has come!
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Ermidor

Post by Ermidor »

Thank you for still updating this Era, I think it goes too unthanked.