Era of High Sorcery

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: Era of High Sorcery

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

EoHS 2.2.5 released! Get it on the wesnoth 1.12 add-on server now!

– New spell: Annulling Lance. Evocation rank 5. A line attack, like Corridor of Frost, that also dispels, like Dispelling Touch.
– Kill Literally 1000 Zombies now has a "challenge" mode that also spawns Dark Adepts.
– Energy Blast can no longer be used twice in the same turn, and it no longer causes energy overload. On the other hand, it always costs 5 AP even if you have no other Evocation spells.
– All Evocation attack spells have had their damage formulas tweaked. Corridor of Frost and Meteor Storm do about 50% more damage than before. Fireball does the same amount of damage initially, but it only increases half as fast when you level up. Also, on maps where you can upgrade your number of strikes, some of the attack spells used to have significant rounding error, but now all attack spells have a fixed number of strikes and their damage is simply based on the total (damage*strikes) of your attack, which makes them upgrade more smoothly.
– Mage Shield now has a base cost of 5 AP, since it was rarely worth casting at 6.
– Construction now has a base cost of 6 AP instead of 7. It wouldn't even be *unbalanced* at 5, but for flavor reasons I don't want it to be that repeatable.
– The "mana + gold" display in the sidebar now properly takes upkeep into account.
– Wraithform can now be cast while mounted, since there is no longer a technical reason I can't support it.
– Lower-level units can no longer mount higher-level units. This prevents a variety of exploits.
– Fixed various bugs: The game no longer stalls if your turn starts while someone else is in a menu. EoHS no longer chokes on units with invalid base images, like the current Ageless Era Golem Soldier. Zombie movement animations, which seemed to sometimes crash wesnoth, have been disabled. Multiple bugs with AOE attack graphics have been fixed, so Fireball looks much nicer now. Soul Bind scrolls now handle within specials more consistently. Currently-dead Undying units move to the recall list at the end of each scenario. Apprentices now have the damage cap again. And a few internal mistakes have been fixed and/or optimized.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Elvish_Pillager

EoHS 2.2.6 released! Get it on the wesnoth 1.12 add-on server now!

– Mentor now has a limited number of apprentices – 1 per talent purchased. However, later apprentices are now somewhat cheaper.
– I've made a new "Campaign settings" preset, which makes you much weaker than normal survival settings, so that multiplayer campaigns don't get too trivial too quickly.
– Circle of Protection has been redesigned again. Now, it negates 5 attack actions, no matter how powerful they are. It can regenerate, but can't regenerate OR be created when there are enemies adjacent to it.
– The Traveler alliance now has Young Ogres as a recruit option.
– Elf-friend now grants full +8 healing regardless of your level.
– Fixed poison/slow overlays not working on units with customized graphics.
– Reanimating Touch now removes the powers of wizards and leaders. This helps with scenario compatibility. Reanimating enemy wizards in survivals was also completely unbalanced.
– In Kill Literally 1000 Zombies, the zombies now converge on the players after they all spawn, rather than wandering around randomly.
– Tweaked the ranged attacks of Nature and Necromancy. Nature now starts at 6-5 normally. Both of them are slightly stronger at higher levels, so they now remain at 15/16 the power of Evocation, instead of falling further behind.
– When you use "EoHS with any era" to make arbitrary units into wizards, melee units now have their melee attacks weakened so that they aren't so much better than ranged units (given that all wizards lose their original ranged attacks).
– The settings can now override the starting wizard level of all leaders, even if they are a unit type that normally starts at a higher level.
– Wraithform and Ogre Fury no longer prevent using scrolls.
– Change Terrain, Construction, and Use Dispelling Touch messages now specify what options were used.
– Various other bug fixes.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

hi, i noticed a bug:my wizard is level 1, but he still retains the lvl2 look
Elvish_Pillager

If you're talking about the "EoHS with any era" mode, that isn't actually a bug. Wizards are special. They can be different level than their unit type.

I COULD replace them with a lower-level version of the unit, but that only works if a lower level version actually exists, which isn't guaranteed in all eras. I could still consider making it happen when possible, though…
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Elvish_Pillager wrote:If you're talking about the "EoHS with any era" mode, that isn't actually a bug. Wizards are special. They can be different level than their unit type.

I COULD replace them with a lower-level version of the unit, but that only works if a lower level version actually exists, which isn't guaranteed in all eras. I could still consider making it happen when possible, though…
no, i meant the default EoHS
Elvish_Pillager

Interesting! I wonder how that bug got introduced. Anyway, I'll have it fixed in the next version.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

hi, so, do you accept suggestions? if yes, here are a few small ones of mine:

1.about the change terrain, how about a new option: decay (or something else) it can do the following:
change castles/villages to their ruined variants
turn average swamps into their murky variants
turn forests and great trees into the winter/dead variants, and makes grass dry, and already dry grass dark dirt, this particular effect can be reversed by the 'grow'
wooden bridges become their decayed (or rotten) variants
have a chance of creating mushrooms (high chances for small decorative muchrooms in 3 mushroom cluster, lower chance for the mushroom grove) also, mushrooms will probably tend to spawn close to eachother
and other things in this pattern, which is basically 'ruin man(or whatever else)-made structures and make plantlife decay'

2.about the lightning spell: i think you can make it so that the lightning can strike the same spot multiple times, but after a certain amount of turns, the 'non-rescastable-lightning' effect will still remain, but it will be only temporary. the duration is up to you to decide

3.maybe make dehydration spell deal a small amount of damage, like 1 or 2, maybe twice(or even three times) as much for merfolk/nagag/ect. due to them being heavily water-reliant, and the fact that they spend of the time in water anyway

4.maybe frozen corridor turning water villages into igloos? as a little easter egg :)

5.Binding spell: you get 50% of the unit's healing (by taking it from him)/deal 50% of the damage recieved from the unit back to him, in case the caster/target are enemies, if the caster/target are allies, then when one of the two units recieve damage, half of it is redirected on the other unit. lasts probably 3+level turns, the bond can be destroyed at any given time by the caster, but without any refund. i think you could probably reuse some of Dark Pact's code here. the category this spell will be in would probably be either Evocation or Necromancy, the rank could be around 3

these are just my ideas
Elvish_Pillager

Yes! I always consider suggestions :-) Unfortunately I have to reject most of the ones I get, but that doesn't mean I don't like it when people try.

1: It's a flavorful idea, but doesn't quite work as a spell, because it doesn't actually DO anything game-mechanics-wise. It's more suitable as a flavorful addition to another spell that decays things. (In fact, Poison Ground and Meteor Storm already do things like this.)

2: Why? It would be more complicated, and the "lightning never strikes twice in the same place" joke is cute.

3: Hmm... Although minor, this is flavorful and, because it adds to an existing spell, doesn't have the "the spell doesn't do anything" problem. But I'm not sure it justifies the extra complication, and doing damage would make it have more overlap with Siphon Strength (and overlap between the realms is bad).

4: That's pretty funny. I think I'll do it. :-)

5: So the allied version is like a mutual Dark Pact. Seems like it would be risky to cast in PVP, since it gives the enemy an extra way to attack your leader. The enemy version does a similar thing to Curse of Anxiety – too similar, in fact. (And the healing part would generally be useless, since the unit has a high chance to die before it gets healed.) It's not a BAD idea, it just isn't excellent enough (and has too much overlap with existing spells) to add to the current spell lists.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Elvish_Pillager wrote:
5: So the allied version is like a mutual Dark Pact. Seems like it would be risky to cast in PVP, since it gives the enemy an extra way to attack your leader. The enemy version does a similar thing to Curse of Anxiety – too similar, in fact. (And the healing part would generally be useless, since the unit has a high chance to die before it gets healed.) It's not a BAD idea, it just isn't excellent enough (and has too much overlap with existing spells) to add to the current spell lists.
Elvish_Pillager wrote:Yes! I always consider suggestions :-) Unfortunately I have to reject most of the ones I get, but that doesn't mean I don't like it when people try.
don't worry about that, i don't feel offended at all
Elvish_Pillager wrote:1: It's a flavorful idea, but doesn't quite work as a spell, because it doesn't actually DO anything game-mechanics-wise. It's more suitable as a flavorful addition to another spell that decays things. (In fact, Poison Ground and Meteor Storm already do things like this.
i guess you could add it to the poison ground as a decorative side-effect, except the ruin castle/villages part
Elvish_Pillager wrote:2: Why? It would be more complicated, and the "lightning never strikes twice in the same place" joke is cute.
ok.btw, i think the "lightning never strikes twice in the same place" item on the ground maybe needs a some kind replacement
Elvish_Pillager wrote: 3: Hmm... Although minor, this is flavorful and, because it adds to an existing spell, doesn't have the "the spell doesn't do anything" problem. But I'm not sure it justifies the extra complication, and doing damage would make it have more overlap with Siphon Strength (and overlap between the realms is bad).
well, it's not like there is only one source of every-turn damage, there is poison already, for example, and a few addons tend to add statuses which deal damage (like incinerates special for example)
Elvish_Pillager wrote:4: That's pretty funny. I think I'll do it. :-)
well, good thing something out of my ideas managed to have made it in an unchanged state :)
Elvish_Pillager wrote:5: So the allied version is like a mutual Dark Pact. Seems like it would be risky to cast in PVP, since it gives the enemy an extra way to attack your leader. The enemy version does a similar thing to Curse of Anxiety – too similar, in fact. (And the healing part would generally be useless, since the unit has a high chance to die before it gets healed.) It's not a BAD idea, it just isn't excellent enough (and has too much overlap with existing spells) to add to the current spell lists.
well, you got a point here. well, how about a slightly buffed (and more defensive oriented) version: the caster copies any healing the target recieves, and vice versa, without decreasing it. also, if the target is an ally, if it's resistances are lower than the caster's, then they will increase by 20%, the maximum being the caster's resistances
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

hi, sorry for double-posting, but here are a few ideas i came up with:

1.change appearance menu option: soul transparency: a slider which allows you to modify transparency of souls gained by Soul Bind, i came up with this since it can be annoying when you have lots of souls bound to your wizard, since you can sometimes barely see the sprite. or maybe just a simple checkbox option 'render souls' which can entirely toggle the renderability of souls. or even both options

2.new spell: Evocation, rank 5 or 6.something like a portal/obelisc/whatever that has an 'Actions' menu like wizards/dragons where you can select any summon spells (even multiple at the same time) the wizard who created the portal/obelisc/whatever. has. it will cast them next to it, for the cost of the wizard's mana, but using up action points from the portal/obelisc/whatever. the cost of the spells cast by the portal/obelisc/whatever is only 75% (or even 50%) of the orginal mana cost of the summoning spells to make it more useful. it could maybe have a bit more AP than a wizard does. it might be a bit complicated, but at the same time, it could be a good rank 5 or 6 spell, allowing the wizard to have AP available, and still have summoned minions fighting for him. the 'Summoner' talent also affects to the spell

3.repelling gust spell idea: if the unit blown away ends up next to a wall (or impassable mountain, ect.), it will take some impact damage, the further he is from the caster, the more damage he takes

my favourite 4.new option: select apprentice: basically, if your leader dies, you can choose one of the apprentices to takes his place, the apprentice gains 25% of the dead leader's skill points, and any bound souls
Elvish_Pillager

EoHS 2.2.7 released! Get it on the wesnoth 1.12 add-on server now!

– There is a new error-detecting scheme. I probably won't have to ask people for screenshots of errors anymore.
– Creating scrolls, which were overpowered in PvP, now costs 5 additional mana.
– Black Cats, which were STILL very efficient in PvP, now cost 18 mana.
– Fire Guardians now cost 8.
– Mud Touch, which was pretty much never used except for Scribe, now also immobilizes the enemy for one turn.
– Bumped up the damage, duration, and mana cost of Wizard Sword.
– Tweaked the melee damage of various wizard types. Elf and dwarf apprentices no longer have superb melee at higher levels.
– Made the interaction between Liminal and spell damage more fair. Liminal units get a bonus when casting spells, but not when scribing them, because the caster is the one whose alignment matters. Also applied the bonus to the ranged attacks of liminal wizards in "EoHS with any era", which previously were unfairly weak.
– Fixed the bug where you could scribe multiple Energy Blast scrolls in the same turn.
– Fixed leadership not applying to swarm units' attacks.
– Various other bug fixes.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

you forgot to add my igloo idea, even though you said you would
Elvish_Pillager

I didn't forget, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Elvish_Pillager wrote:I didn't forget, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
oh well, i just hope that you'll add it someday
Elvish_Pillager

EoHS 2.3.0 released! Get it on the Wesnoth 1.12 add-on server now!

This is a major release with a huge user-interface improvement: when you cast a spell, you now choose its target on the main map. This also gives a much nicer preview of the spell's effect, especially for Change Terrain in particular.

This change messed with a lot of different parts of the code, so there are likely to be new bugs. Get your reporting hats on! :-)

I've also completely revamped the wizard experience gain system. Wizards now share in the experience of ALL the units on their side, up to a certain maximum each turn. The other units still gain their normal experience, the wizard just copies it. (Naturally, the XP requirements for each level have been greatly increased.) This change also removes the older system where summons actually lost some of their XP, which should make things easier to understand.

Other changes:
- The off-turn menu can now be opened by double-clicking in any hex, rather than doing the weird gesture it used to require. Unfortunately, my double-click detection is based on a hack, and it has a few false-positives (the menu sometimes opens when you don't want it to).
- Group Teleport can no longer move enemy wizards.
- Compulsion now has 2 targets: first you target the unit to be controlled, then you choose where to move to.
- Increased the mana cost of Chocobones from 24 to 27. I had given them a low cost because they were disappointing back when they cost 6 AP, but now that they cost 5 AP, the lower mana cost seems to make them a bit too strong.
- Swarm units no longer capture allies' villages, unless they need to in order to get a good attack.
- In "EoHS with any era", if there are loads of alliances, they are moved to the bottom of the training screen to make it less annoying to use.
- Fixed Corridor of Frost and Annulling Lance having friendly fire inside circles of protection.
- Fixed a few bugs with the melee reduction for nonstandard wizard types.
- Mermaid Priestess apprentices now turn into Mermaid Diviners at level 3 instead of 2, making them more consistent with White Mage apprentices.
- The Tower of Chaos can now cast Energy Blast and Lightning Bolt. (This is a coincidental change due to some internal redesigning, not an intentional rebalancing of the map. Redesigning the map will come in a later release.)