Era of High Sorcery

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: Era of High Sorcery

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

EoHS 2.1.10.0 released! Get it on the Wesnoth add-on server now!

- New spell: Zombie Mastery. Auto-zombify any unit that dies anywhere near you!
- New spell: Construction (Evocation rank 1). Build a road or a new castle.
- Change Terrain can now change a line of hexes.
- Change Terrain has a new mode, "flatten".
- Non-Necromancers no longer take an extra pick to gain Petty Necromancy (Necromancers are still penalized for taking a living alliance)
- Fixed Liches not respawning if their crypt is surrounded.
- Fixed unlimited Soul Binding of Liches :-)
- Various other fixes
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
ScegfOd

Post by ScegfOd »

yay! thx Elvish <3
Ceccobartfast

Post by Ceccobartfast »

This era is awesome!
But I cant' find nobody to play with, is there any kind of hangout anywhere?
Elvish_Pillager

EoHS 2.1.11.0 released! Get it on the Wesnoth add-on server now!

- Wesnoth 1.12 compatibility: Fixed error message on kills, training screen orbs, and Zombie Mastery.
- Lots of behind-the-scenes work to make spell effects less dependent on the unit casting them, to prepare for an upcoming new talent (and possibly other things - maybe a map where spells happen randomly from the aether?)
- Ogre Fury no longer increases the target's level, which allowed several exploits.
- All buildings now have no ZoC and no AP.
- Fixed the long-standing "dark pact, dark pact" bug.
- Various other bugfixes.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Just to say : awesome !

Compared to the firt EoHS battles, this version seems to be more balanced, less focused on having an overpowered leader. Even at lvl 2, apprentices are a real threat since they are immune to spells.

A few ideas :

Mages should maybe become partially immune to "overloading" or at least it should disappear when lvling up. I just lost an epic fight, managing to lvl up my wounded mage in a uphill battle only to discover that he kept his -200% to arcane...

Meteor storm has been nerfed since 1.0 ? For a 3 turns spell, it didn't change the balance of the fight.

Maybe give necro a short range spell doing damage : pall of fatigue is very weak. It should be more random maybe, hurting more or even poisoning or slowing a few units.

Apparently there is a bug with teleporting : once paralysed, if you try to teleport, your units do teleport but you don't.

Is there a way to buff evocation mages' health ? Nature mages can mount gaining hp, necro devour everything, but evocation mages have to use AP to protect themselves.
Elvish_Pillager

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll fix the teleport bug.

You're right that overloading and meteor storm could use some tweaking. I'm not sure what the best rules would be. I'll think about it.

Each realm has its own play style - that's why Necro doesn't have good direct-damage spells and Evo doesn't have permanent health buffs. A great wizard must acknowledge their weaknesses :P
Elvish_Pillager

EoHS 2.1.12.0 released! Get it on the Wesnoth add-on server now!

- New R3 Nature spell: Metamorphosis. Enchant a unit to get a random, permanent buff.
- New R6 Nature spell: Altar of Battle. Enchant a hex to level up any unit recruited or summoned there.
- Pall of Fatigue is much stronger, but can't kill, scales differently, and you can't move on the same turn you cast it.
- Energy overload now caps at 100% reduction and recovers 20% per turn.
- Chocobones' attacks are now 11-2 in Wesnoth 1.10, like they are normally in Wesnoth 1.12.
- Vampire Bats' summon AP cost reduced from 5 to 4.
- Expansive Change is now a separate spell with a longer range.
- Mount and Dismount are now separate actions. Mount is now a spell (i.e. Farseer can apply). You can now use Mount to switch from one mount to another without dismounting first.
- Lightning paralysis no longer stops teleportation.
- Various minor fixes.
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Another great battle, another defeat : I guess I got carried away with devour soul.

A few things I noticed :

Altar works with apprentices, isn't it a bit overpowered ?

Dispelling touch prompts a lua error when you open EoHS menu on a empty hex keeping you from summoning or using a spell as long as you have it active. This same error occurs when you are already in the EoHS menu and select an empty hex in the map.

Zombi Mastery doesn't work within 31 hexes or maybe only works with your own kills. We played 2vs2 survival yesterday and my opponent killed AI units in his area and those fallen foes didn't rise again as undeads.

With Devour Soul, nightstalk, ambush, feeding, can't be obtained.

The crypt doesn't allow to train apprentices althought it is in a keep : your lich itself needs to be in a keep. This was fine since we had two keeps in the 2vs2 survival map but can be bothersome if you play another map with only one keep occupied by your crypt.
Popeye

Post by Popeye »

Hi,

in the 2.1.12.0 Version seems to be a bug with DisspellingTouch (DT). If u want Elvish_Pillager i can send u a screenshot with the LUA error msg. The Bug occurs after u casted DT. U then can no longer enter the EoHS-Menu (at least not the "Action"-Section with ur leader). Its possible though to use the DT by attacking an opponents Summon or any enemy Unit with a spell on it. The DT will then without any Problem do its effect. After its gone u can go on as usual.

Besides reporting this malfunction i wanted to ask if it is intentional that the DT can be used on ur own Summons the way it does atm.
When u banish a Summon it can be resummoned as usual (6ap/20mana, unless u reduce costs by learning "Summon and/or Efficient" ofc). The resummoned unit comes back to the battlefield with exactly the same stats as in the moment it was banished. That means if i banish my own unit before i moved, attacked or casted spells with it, it will be able to attack the same turn i resummon it (since ap/mp is the same as before banished). Furthermore the resummoning is only limited by fog (its even possible to resummon through solid walls). That gives a player the chance to use DT as a very expansive but powerfull 1 unit Teleport. With "Summon" a player is able to resummon 2 of his most powerfull summons on the same turn, wherever he can see the map without fog and attack right away. Its a good trick to perform deadly surprise-attacks on leaders or attack the crypt of a lich. I dont know if this should be nerfed... just in case some1 didnt know about it, now u do and u can be aware of it. Though there isnt too much u can do to protect urself from it i guess. ^_^
I think it is absolutely fine to keep the mechanic the same as it is, for the situation were a Wizard/App uses DT on an enemys summon. He can use the DT on a Summon that attacked the turn before (and/or spent all his mp) and he doesnt have to worry about getting a surprise-attack from pretty much anywhere, later on in the game. And the DT would be too powerfull without a practical resummon-feature. But using it as a Teleport on ur own terms ... is rough. (i have to admit though, i love it! :P )
So pls Elvish_Pillager dont get me wrong here, i dont want u to concider to make it impossible to banish ur own units and let them pop out at any time and if u want far away from ur leader. I feel its a really interesting aspect in EoHS. (u can pin down a leader; u can make ur opponent underestimate ur forces; when u have different alignment between summons and recruits u can counterattack an enemys approach at what seemed to be his favourable time of day, and so on... ) The only thing that makes me feel cheesy-cheap when i use this trick is the fact that my resummons can attack right away.

1 more thing about the new Version: "Altar of Battle" (AoB)
Unfortunately when i tried to make some experience with the new Rank6 Nature-spell my opponent died in early state of game. So it is definately too early to give a proper feedback. But, my fingers r itchy about this 1.
I feel its absolutely ok for a rank6 spell to give a player the chance to summon/recruit 1 unit per turn with a lvlup. But Apprentices (app) ... serious? No unit, recruit or summon alike, can handle the power of combined rank3 spells... not even dragons. And with some breathing-room i can cuddle my app and let him gather mana to summon more units for me. The mana from Dragons or Yetis can not be compared to that since their manapool can not be used to fight apps at all! I fear that games/maps with the format of gathering exp and then entering the pvp-endgame r not winable unless u go for the AoB.
In those formats i dont really had a good strategy for nature-wizard, so i feel ur step towards giving nature a little more options is the best decision u could have made. Its just that i feel havin access to lvl2-apps is too much.
Regarding regular 1on1 i dont bother much about rank6 spells, so there is not much i can say about that. Since i think "Mentor" is not made to be used in fast-paced 1on1, it could maybe be a good buff for mentor in that format but... how is some1 supposed to get access to mentor+rank6 spell? That would mean he cant go for efficient, summon or any other extra-ability. I highly doubt that an approach like that could stand any rush-down based strategy... so i dont really think that in this regard the regular 1on1 should be made a topic. (Custom-Settings is ofc a different story.)
I am looking for some1 to play the "2vs2 Survival-map" with and show that the AoB needs a nerf. I will report my experience with it as soon as i found a victim to sacrifice for the benefit of the awesome EoHS. ^_^

Ogre-Fury:
When a unit is turned into an ogre and he lvls up the ogre lvl2 has as much hp as the original unit would have at lvl2. When it turns back into its original form it will fall back to its old hp that the lvl1 unit had before.
example:
i have a lvl1 footie with 7hp, i turn it into an Ogre 66hp. I kill an enemy unit with it. My ogre doesnt loose hp in that fight and lvls up to lvl2. He then has 43hp (like a lvl2 footie). After it turns back into humanoid form, its a lvl2 footie with 7hp.
Did u intent that it works out like this? I mean my ogre looses like half his hp because he lvls up. Atm i can barely think of a situation were i would want to use the spell, 16mana isnt cheap.

greatings and thanx for this cool mod!
Last edited by Popeye on January 10th, 2015, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elvish_Pillager

Gregor wrote:Altar works with apprentices, isn't it a bit overpowered ?
...yeah, probably. I'll change it. If you had to level up an extra time to get both, it might be reasonable, but the point costs don't work out that way.
Gregor wrote:Dispelling touch prompts a lua error
There was a typo in the code. Fixed for next version.
Gregor wrote:Zombi Mastery doesn't work within 31 hexes or maybe only works with your own kills. We played 2vs2 survival yesterday and my opponent killed AI units in his area and those fallen foes didn't rise again as undeads.
No magic functions through impassable walls.
Gregor wrote:With Devour Soul, nightstalk, ambush, feeding, can't be obtained.
As it says in the description.
Gregor wrote:The crypt doesn't allow to train apprentices althought it is in a keep : your lich itself needs to be in a keep.
Hmm. The crypt should probably be able to train apprentices. This is a little trickier to fix though.
Popeye wrote:Besides reporting this malfunction i wanted to ask if it is intentional that the DT can be used on ur own Summons the way it does atm.
The distance thing is a bug. Fixed for next version.
The "same state" thing is because I couldn't decide exactly what stuff to reset about the unit. I should probably make it behave more like recalling in later scenarios, but, for instance, should it lose things like Haste?
Popeye wrote:Ogre-Fury:
The wrong-HP-on-advancement is a bug. It's tricky to fix without breaking compatibility with units that don't heal on AMLA. I'll figure something out though.
I agree that the spell needs a buff. I'm still deciding what to do with it.
Popeye

Post by Popeye »

What do u mean by: should it loose things like Haste?
DT will remove all spells from the summon before banishing it.
Elvish_Pillager

When you use it on your own units, you can choose which things to remove.
Popeye

Post by Popeye »

hmm, depends
if u allow the unit to have full ap after being resummoned, i would say it should loose enchantments.
if the unit can not attack right away its maybe ok to leave enchantments on it.

(funny i never tried to do that, i read the desrciption and that was it. teleporting two units behind an enemy leader and attacking 4 times right away. :shock: cant test atm since it gives me that bug.)

Edit:
it actually says in description... my bad :whistle:
Elvish_Pillager

New major release! Get EoHS 2.2.0 on the Wesnoth add-on server now!

- New talent: Scribe. Make your spells into scrolls so that other units can do the casting.
- New spell: Black Cat. A weak, elusive unit with a novel teleportation ability.
- Split Mentor into two talents. If you only buy the first, you can still get apprentices, but they can only learn spells you already know.
- Many improvements to the UI for players with multiple units that can cast spells.
- Focused Study now reduces your ranged attack.
- Added a couple more game settings.
- Changed Circle of Protection. It's now better for protecting wounded units and less overpowered on high-HP wizards.
- Group Teleport no longer costs any mana.
- Fixed Resummon issues.
- Fixed Ogre Fury advancement HP bug. Cheapened Ogre Fury. Made the underlying unit heal over time.
- Altar of Battle no longer works on apprentices.
- Many other minor tweaks, fixes, and optimizations.

With all the changes, there are likely to be new bugs. Please report them when you find them :-)
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

Aww, I liked how overpowered Circle of Protection was. :augh:
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.