Into The Underworld - MP RPG!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

GrandmasterLuke

Re: Into The Underworld - MP RPG!

Post by GrandmasterLuke »

I love how insanely difficult this map is and love your era.
My orc warrior just got stuck in the chasm before hell after the angel died to my human battle mage. All unwalkabke but it is walkable for everyone else in party.
Last edited by GrandmasterLuke on June 20th, 2020, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Hey, sorry to hear your game was bugged - did you manage to continue at all? I'll look into that. I think it may be because the orcs were added to the era after the map was made, so there could be a faulty movetype check or something. I love that you love the insane difficulty!
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

Hi, Bob!

Looks like we got the OOS error again on this map, everyone got it right at the first time the moment p1 created the character. In a second try, other players reported seeing a lua error, but I did not see it as I was p1. We did not use any mods at all, so I am not sure what is the issue here.
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Hi - I thought the OOS was caused in your game of Return to Trent because HonzaCZ was playing with an older version of Wesnoth. Could that have been the case here?
My current projects:
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

I was not the host this time, but it is possible he might have the add-on too. I will try hosting later after uninstalling the Fall of Trent to see if it happens again.

EDIT: I uninstalled Fall of Trent and hosted again. This time, every other player except me (the host) seems to be getting a lua error. There were a few OOS errors after I created my character and we had a huge list of OOS as soon as I moved.

Please find the save attached.
Attachments
4p - Into The Underworld Turn 1.gz
(487.88 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
X_x

Post by X_x »

Just got the needed addons, joined a game and everyone got Lua and out of sync errors. This is the screenshot:
Attachments
Screenshot
Screenshot
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

That looks like one of the players didn't have the scenario installed, which is why it doesn't recognise the custom Royal Agent unit. Into The Underworld is different to the other RPGs I've made in that it requires all players to have the actual ITU scenario downloaded - in addition to any era you might be using.
My current projects:
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote: April 28th, 2020, 4:13 am That looks like one of the players didn't have the scenario installed, which is why it doesn't recognise the custom Royal Agent unit. Into The Underworld is different to the other RPGs I've made in that it requires all players to have the actual ITU scenario downloaded - in addition to any era you might be using.
This is probably a bug on your side then though, all mp scenarios that require download should have require_scenario = yes set.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
GrandmasterLuke

Post by GrandmasterLuke »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote: April 18th, 2020, 12:46 am Hey, sorry to hear your game was bugged - did you manage to continue at all? I'll look into that. I think it may be because the orcs were added to the era after the map was made, so there could be a faulty movetype check or something. I love that you love the insane difficulty!
An error, maybe operator error who knows, caused the save file to be deleted before I could. Thank you for looking into it though!
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

There is a new version of this scenario on the add-ons server now. In ITU 1.5 I have fixed the above bugs reported by GrandmasterLuke and TheChosenOne as well as a few others (there's also an extra shop selling armour now). Anything amiss, let me know.
My current projects:
xaxna

Post by xaxna »

Hey i just tryed the lastest version but the villager and the party are not in the same group. They are attaking us!
The same appens whith the groupe of whith mage juste befor the montain. PS: sorry for my wors english.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Has anyone ever won this without cheating? No reloading when things go badly I mean. I suppose one could start over and over until one gets a lucky run through. But aside from dumb luck it doesn't seem winnable without cheating. I just lost my best char to the Yeti and there was nothing I could do to prevent it. The Yeti crashed through the ice next to the 47 hp runemaster and hit both times. The first time I played this (in 1.12) I got lucky and the Yeti got stuck not adjacent to my units and I avoided it. Lost to some other dumb bad luck later I think.

What would be nice if like on a MUD death meant you lost lots of XP but got to play on.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Hi Atreides. Yeah, that is a tricky corner. What era are you using? I think the idea is that you can examine the tracks to determine where the Yeti might be. Then you have to lure it onto the ice, where it will be trapped, with a tank or a disposable unit. In Bob's RPG Era you can use a tamed/summoned unit to lure. You could also place a net trap to slow it, or use slime with weaponcraft. So there are a few options to avoid a straight-up fight.
My current projects:
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote: February 8th, 2021, 6:35 pm Hi Atreides. Yeah, that is a tricky corner. What era are you using? I think the idea is that you can examine the tracks to determine where the Yeti might be. Then you have to lure it onto the ice, where it will be trapped, with a tank or a disposable unit. In Bob's RPG Era you can use a tamed/summoned unit to lure. You could also place a net trap to slow it, or use slime with weaponcraft. So there are a few options to avoid a straight-up fight.
Ah, I chose no ranger (oh wait, I think I did all random... oh boy I guess I should not complain if I get my butt handed to me when not carefully designing a party...) so I could not read the tracks. Also I had no tamer/conjurer. But I think I did learn from this disaster the value of leading with a high vision scout who could have seen the Yeti first. I've applied the lesson to a current game of Champion's Laby which is going great (so far).

There are a LOT of things to learn about these RPG style scenarios. Ironic considering I started as a D&D Dungeon Master in 1980... One mistake I kept doing was spending all my character pts on advancing levels. I assumed that since they were listed 1st and were "levels" they would give the character great power. Woops!!! All they do is unlock the actual powers which are unfortunately listed below making them seem insignificant. Now I spend pts completely backwards. I spend them all on the perks, etc. until none are left to get and only then do I choose the next level. (BTW I think that the 1 pt luck has infinite (well up to 100%) levels since I found after trying to exhaust it that I could not. :( So except for luck which I guess mainly serves the purpose to soak up single pts left over.) BTW I do realize that one could do a specialized climb up one specific ability (like advancing a healers heals to the max) advancing levels as required but that is for the expert era players who already know all the abilities which I don't. Pity there's no diagram/tree to show all the possible paths to take for character advancements.

I've tried all the RPG scenarios and I think they are quite diverse. Some seem to suit me better than others. Underworld and Trent alas I find too hard for me. Something about them I just can't grok I guess. Brotherhood, Kraken and Laby though I really do enjoy. They're not easier, per se but I don't get as frustrated as I do with ITU and FoT. I guess I should just take the hint and play the ones that I feel happier playing... :) LOL.
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Hi found some old code in the scenario. The nemidian champion has get_hit_sound= which apparently hasn't worked since 1.4. I believe this unit is from Imperial Era which has the same thing. There is no replacement defense anim so it is now silent when hit (poor guy suffers in silence... <grin>). There are several other units (from the same era I guess) with this too.