Into The Underworld - MP RPG!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Drakefriend

Re: Into The Underworld - MP RPG!

Post by Drakefriend »

The shop in Tunisso doesn't work properly: The objects doen't cost gold!(don't know whether this is really bad... :twisted: )
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
Orick

Post by Orick »

I've just downloaded your scenario and it's simply perfect. I love the reference to the "Brotherhood of Light" (encounter with four brothers in the beginning) which I have also enjoyed.

Anyway - The Swamps. Shouldn't the beasts spawn from time to time? I've killed all of them before I found the herbs and now I cannot die.
Araja

Post by Araja »

I think alot of people had that problem, it's an annoying way for the match to end.

If you're playing it with a loyal team, then you can save the map, load it up in Local game, add a bunch of hostile Ancient Liches or whatever, save it the modified version, and then host it in the lobby as a reloaded game.

Suicide can be complex sometimes :lol2:
Orick

Post by Orick »

But maybe even idea of having 1 HP to move on would work - you can be poisoned by stepping on some hexes while exploring the swamps, so it wouldn't be so difficult to lower your HP :P
Araja

Post by Araja »

I think his problem was that he had run out of enemies, so being on 1HP wouldn't help.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

There's a new update of this scenario. A couple of small bugs fixes, some important.

EDIT: A made another small update (0.6.2) to add the revisions to Bob's RPG Era. I also added some story images.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
sneef

Post by sneef »

A couple of small things:

tomahawk in the shop is free
wild crows are invisible (apparently no sprite)
sneef

Post by sneef »

I finished it. It was a lot of fun. Thanks for putting this together.

If you are thinking of further modifications my one suggestion would be to find a way to put more pressure at times on the player. It is generally too easy to sit back. So there might be:
- tasks to accomplish in x turns
- perhaps some "wandering monster" creature generation, including on terrain already visited
- summoning type opponents or events that would at times make it more like one of the survival (eg Dark Forecast) type MP scenarios.
- something along these lines also in the final boss encounter which was quite static.
- etc
This is not needed throughout, but just a little more to mix things up.
orius

Post by orius »

I might be missing something crucial as I am a noob, but when I go to to tavern anf bu ale to heal 8hp nothing happens and I also see nothing in my inventory.

Same with items I pick up some of them dont show in inventory. For instance one of my guys died and i picked up his items but my other guys inventory had nothing. Do there starting items not actually count as real items?
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

I've updated Into The Underworld for Wesnoth 1.10. It's on the add-ons server now.

I've also fixed loads of bugs and improved the code in many places. In particular, I've completely rewritten the whole swamp part as it was quite buggy before. There's also one or two new bits.

I think this was the most difficult of all the RPGs I made (I don't think even I managed to complete it). I'm hoping to get a game of it soon.

It has a bunch of custom units and randomised encounters so each game is different - but these random parts are held together by an over-arching storyline. It works well with Bob's RPG Era, but you can play it with any era.
My current projects:
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Just a little bugfix: Into The Underworld version 1.2 fixes the crash when a Ghazi levels up and stops all images vanishing when you get the snow shoes. Please let me know if there's anything else I've missed.
My current projects:
taptap

Post by taptap »

Very enjoyable. I found two bugs so far (not able to finish it yet, playing 1.12.6). "Ranger is not a ranger" still happens while using Bob's RPG era and Elvish Ranger hero. Got snow shoes from a corpse, but they did not show up in the inventory.

Era comment: In general a way to discard (or even sell?) items would be appreciated, especially for scavengers. Trapper hero looks underpowered compared to the other ranger types, everyone else gets his special move type/defence, he doesn't.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
sergey

Post by sergey »

Bob_The_Mighty, I just discovered your era and scenarios - they are amazing. It is really a new game on the Wesnoth engine. I am now playing Into The Underworld, but I am playing it locally. If someone wants to singleplay your outstanding scenarios, it is more convenient if all the heroes are on the same side. So I used debug mode to switch them to the same side. And the game works as expected. I did test it for about 15 minutes, but I will try to finish the scenario with 4 heroes on the same side.

And I thought about the scenario settings flag which moves all the leaders (and their gold) to the same side when the game starts. Of course, it is up to you to take this idea into account or not. Probably it may produce some bugs, considering the era was not designed to have multiple heroes on the same side.

Thanks for the new and cool gaming experience!

Update. Actually it doesn't work properly when moving heroes on the same side :) Character class becomes incorrect, and probably that is not the only problem. So playing the scenario with all 4 sides under my control :)

Found bugs:
1) tamer ability allows to tame

Code: Select all

race=monster,bats,wolf,gryphon,animal,falcon
And there are bears in the Into The Underworld

2) Screenshot with ranger saying she is not a ranger
Spoiler:
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Thanks for the feedback, sergey. You're right in that the era wasn't designed to have multiple heroes on the same side. Changing that now would involve an entire rewrite I'm afraid.

I know it can be frustrating to find reliable players for these kind of maps, but when you get a good team together it can be really fun doing it multiplayer.

I'm in the process of updating everything for 1.13.6 - so please do tell me about any other bugs or balancing issues you notice either in the RPG era or the scenario itself.
My current projects:
sergey

Post by sergey »

I finished Into The Underworld, it is very cool. I didn't find any other bugs. Regarding the balance - considering the amount of available options I don't think it is possible to balance all of them. Moreover, player may intentionally choose some bad option to make the game harder.
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.