New campaign: Return from Captivity, for 2 players

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ckarai

Re: New campaign: Return from Captivity, for 2 players

Post by ckarai »

I've fixed the problems with 1.5.6.

Checked the first 4 scenarios and it worked well.

At the 4th scenario, please save as many times as you can as formula AI sometimes crashes.
ckarai

Post by ckarai »

A new scenario "The frozen river" is added to the game. It's the 6th scenario.
tillea

Post by tillea »

ckarai wrote:I've fixed the problems with 1.5.6.

Checked the first 4 scenarios and it worked well.

At the 4th scenario, please save as many times as you can as formula AI sometimes crashes.
I try the campaing the first time. I'm using the Debian packaged version of 1.5.6 and observe a crash
in the second scenario. The message at the console says:

Code: Select all

Invalid WML found: Usage of 'advanceto' is deprecated; support for this will be removed in 1.5.6. (use 'advances_to' instead) (98)
wesnoth: astarsearch.cpp:148: paths::route a_star_search(const map_location&, const map_location&, double, const cost_calculator*, size_t, size_t, const std::set<map_location, std::less<map_location>, std::allocator<map_location> >*): Assertion `stop_at <= costCalculator->getNoPathValue()' failed.
Kind regards

Andreas.
Attachments
The_Valley_of_the_Fear_Runde_19y.gz
Just load this savegame and press end turn it seems the crash happens after the Orcis enemy has finished his attack.
(101.89 KiB) Downloaded 813 times
ihavePeace

Help with grammar?

Post by ihavePeace »

Very nice campaign! Not very many 2 player campaigns out there and this one is quite interesting!
I'm wondering what the current version number for RfC is so that I can know if the version up on the addons server is current.

Also, as a native English speaker I am interested in helping with grammar and general feedback on the maps.

-Thanks for the great campaign! :D
ckarai

Post by ckarai »

Thanks, it would be a great help if you could fix the grammar and make it better.

The version number is currently 0.5 (with 8 scenarios), and 2 more scenarios + the epilogue are missing.

As my native language is not English, it was very hard for me to write the story.

You can find the data in the /home/username/.wesnoth/data/campaigns/Return_from_Captivity folder in Linux.

This folder contains *.cfg files. If you edit these files and send me to cskarai [at] freemail.hu or publish on the internet, then I'll upload it.

You can change everything (so if you want to change the name of the campaign, then we could do it too).

The translatable strings begin with _ ".
tillea

Post by tillea »

Hi,

I noticed, that units Shaman.cfg, Druid.cfg and Warlock.cfg are using the old syntax:
advanceto
instead of the new
advances_to
Please fix these files to enable an upgrade of the units in the 8th scenario.

Kind regards

Andreas.
ihavePeace

Post by ihavePeace »

Well, about what I said earlier about working on grammar. When I offered to help, I was at the end of my break- so I felt like I had some free time that I could offer. Now I'm back at school and I don't have the resources to meet the time commitment anymore. So, sorry to get your hopes up and then back out on you- but I felt it better to say what was going on than not to say anything. :cry:

I do have one suggestion about RfC. It seems like the difficulty is pretty high the whole way through- which is fine for advanced players. To tell you the truth, I only made it halfway through scenario 2 so far (I haven't been playing it very often, but it has seemed much harder than other scenarios that I have played). You must be pretty good if you can play through the whole thing without too much trouble. One thing to keep in mind though- as the developer, you know how you built the scenario to work, so you know what to do. You have to think about if people playing the map for the first time will automatically know what to do or not, as that significantly adds to the difficulty of the scenario. I found myself having to replay both the first and second maps after failing once (or more), but learning a little more about how the scenario was supposed to be played. That made the maps a little more intense than what I was looking for, so that is where my whole point about difficulty is coming from. You have to think about making it playable for all levels of skill and styles of play if you want RfC to be widely enjoyed. If you only want to output a scenario with the kind of difficulty level you would enjoy, that's absolutely fine- however you'll probably get more interest from the community (and hopefully more people to help you) if you make something a wider audience would appreciate.

Good luck!
docrock

Post by docrock »

well, i just started to play the current version from the 1.5.x campaign server on 1.5.9 and i got to say that i am impressed so far. i normally do not play mp campaigns as most of them are buggy, not thought out well, given up ... whatever. this time i made an exception and i don't regret it. this campaign is laid out very cleverly, and actually is very balanced.
i currently got it completed until "The Valley of the Fear" (which should maybe be called just "The Valley of Fear") and that was one HUGE battle and good fun. into the caves ... out of the caves ... defend ... attack ... lots of different factions - yep, very nice. and as said, turns and gold very nicely laid out so far. playable for a little advanced players with some experience i'd say, not really for beginners and maybe too easy for experts either, due to a lack of lvl2s on the enemy side so far, so, really for the intermediate. you got to know about ZoC and terrains, different unit strenghts and especially the general strenghts of different factions, actually, this could be part of yet-to-be-enhanced tutorial for BfW. keep up the good work. :)

edit: in "Leaving the Island" the victory event did not trigger on 1.5.9 for me. had to debug me out ...

edit2: in "Save the Forest" ending the first turn crashes BfW without any further notice or error, sadly ...
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)
ckarai

Post by ckarai »

Hi, I'll check the problems and port RfC to the newest development release.

It's quite hard for me to test it for each Wesnoth version, so I do it occasionally.

Thanks,

Csaba
ckarai

Post by ckarai »

Ok, I've fixed and uploaded the new 0.5.1 version of the campaign.
I replayed it, and everything worked fine on Wesnoth 1.5.11.

Fixes:
- 1st scenario: pl1 and pl2 are in the same team now, and fog is removed
- 2nd scenario: it was too hard, so I've increased the number of the turns to 60 and weakened the enemies a little bit (the current AI is better than the previous one).
- units: converted to the new format, advanceto replaced with advances_to

I've started developing the 9th scenario. I hope I can finish it soon.

Thanks,

Csaba
captinkid

Post by captinkid »

Quick question from a noob.

Whenever I try to play a multiplayer game it spits out "This server does not support games with more than 9 sides". It works fine on the first level, I just can't get it to go past there.

I looked around on the forums, but I did not see a reference to this problem.

It works in hotseat mode, but I am trying to play over the net with my family. Is there any hack or patch I can do/apply to make my local server run it?

Thanks,

Matt
ckarai

Post by ckarai »

Hi, I patched the 2nd / 5th scenario, so there will be only 9 sides.

The 5th scenario was a bit tricky, as there are leaders who are in the same team. If they fight at the same time, then only one of them is crowned (and they swap the crown occasionally).

It should work if you download the 0.5.4 version.
captinkid

Post by captinkid »

ckarai wrote:Hi, I patched the 2nd / 5th scenario, so there will be only 9 sides.

The 5th scenario was a bit tricky, as there are leaders who are in the same team. If they fight at the same time, then only one of them is crowned (and they swap the crown occasionally).

That was fast! Thank you very much. :D

Matt
Slann

Post by Slann »

ckarai wrote:Hi, I patched the 2nd / 5th scenario, so there will be only 9 sides.

can we use it for 1.4.7 version?
ckarai

Post by ckarai »

Unfortunately not. 1.4.7 doesn't contain formula AI, so the 4th "Save the Forest" scenario wouldn't work.
That's why this campaign is developed on 1.5.x.

The other scenarios would work if someone ported them to 1.4.x, but I don't have time to do it (would be hard).

Only 1.6.x will be fully compatible with RfC.