Bob's RPG Era (now with achievements!)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ForestDragon

Re: Bob's RPG Era (huge update!)

Post by ForestDragon »

Pyrochemik wrote:Hello, i didnt read through any posts before me so sorry if I only repeat somebody else - ability darkens is way weaker than brightens, no slef effect, and even doesnt seem to atleast negate brighten ability in same area (white mage boss).
ChaosRider said it doesn't work, otherwise it is supposed to be equal to illuminates
oh and by the way, playing the era in 1.6.3 a bit, i noticed that some items lack images in the inventory meny (or have wrong path) (while being perfectly normal on the part displaying all the stuff equipped), examples are:enchanted robe, leather gloves, skirts (all of them), rusty breastplate, knackered old boots, hiking boots,nym boots and probably more, i sincerely hope you look into that
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Pyrochemik - I actually thought I had disabled the darkens ability, because it has always had problems. I will do so in the next release (bit of a shame for the necro magicians, but oh well).

ForestDragon - Thanks for the report. I'll look into that and fix those. Let me know if you spot anything else.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

actually you can use darkens like in other add-ons, like this (just replace value=-25 with value=-15)

Code: Select all

#define ABILITY_DARKENS
    [illuminates]
        id=darkens
        value=-25
        min_value=-25
        max_value=25
        cumulative=no
        affect_self=yes
        name= _ "darkens"
        female_name= _ "female^darkens"
        description= _ "This unit darkens the surrounding area, making chaotic units fight better, and lawful units fight worse.

Any units adjacent to this unit will fight as if it were dusk when it is day, and as if it were night when it is dusk."
    [/illuminates]
#enddef
taptap

Post by taptap »

I recently played a bit of this era in the designed scenarios both with partners and solo. I played with someone insisting on taking psycho on his warrior, surprisingly it triggered on the defence as well (shortening the game a lot). This is either a bug or at least not hinted at by the text in game.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Pine

Post by Pine »

I noticed some minor issues when we tries to use competitive mode for SXRPG:

Competitive mode is broken for network games. Simple fix would be:
Spoiler:
Then there was some conflicts with added weapons and possibility to remove weapons.

Character improvement weapon modifications could be applied to all weapons like.
Spoiler:
Weapon changes should apply to Bob's weapons only
Spoiler:
There could be still more issues but these were once hat I managed to find so far.

EDIT:

We noticed that mount/dismount breaks weapons for rider. To fix that I figured out better way to fix weapon name/description/icon change code if weapons are removed. That is to use object/effect to do the change that also keeps game state valid for mount/dismount.
Spoiler:
Last edited by Pine on October 4th, 2016, 2:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pine

Post by Pine »

taptap wrote:I recently played a bit of this era in the designed scenarios both with partners and solo. I played with someone insisting on taking psycho on his warrior, surprisingly it triggered on the defence as well (shortening the game a lot). This is either a bug or at least not hinted at by the text in game.
psycho is supposed to be active from triggering until begin of next turn. The first description could be better in that sense but descriptions could be better in many other places too.
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by Computer_Player »

Hi Bob, I've recently tried to see how Bob's RPG competitive would fare (I imagined it would be pretty fun!)

It fared quite well in terms of funnability, but there were a number of bugs.

Specifically, all the bugs. XD

I exaggerate perhaps, but there's

the item equip bug which when equiping items crashes the game
the conjuration/ summon bug which oos the game and the summons don't appear in enemy wesnoth instance
the shop bug which somehow just standing on shop causes oos
the usable item bug which causes oos by just buying them
the speed serum bug which causes oos sometimes (you remain where you are in enemy instance)
the smite bug which isn't capped to 15

I imagine it is just that the co-op updates weren't transfered to pvp (although smite description is updated)

On another note, some semi-bugs / balance

Mount / Vagabond can steal castle on first turn with speed serum (problematic on multi-castle maps)
Conjurer summons can move even after being summoned on top of vil.
Conjurer summons are rediculously underpriced. They have best economy in pvp due to this
Conjurer can't summon dragon (lol)
Thief can pickpocket own units (but if it fails the retal triggers)

Hoping for some love on pvp in next update, its really fun and has some real potential. Willing to test if we come upon each other :)
Attachments
Hamlets_replay_Bob_Coop_3.gz
(475.93 KiB) Downloaded 645 times
2p_—_Hamlets_replay_Bob_Com_3.gz
(475.08 KiB) Downloaded 599 times
2p_—_Hamlets_replay_Bob's_Comp._2.gz
(308.24 KiB) Downloaded 601 times
Howling_Ghost_Badla..._replay_Bob's_Competitive.gz
(477.03 KiB) Downloaded 597 times
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Hey Computer_Player, good to see back around again. I don't think I ever really considered this style of game using the RPG Era, but I'd like to try and get it working. I'm baffled why you were getting so many errors, the code is the same for competitive mode except for the recall list and the keep shop.

In any case, I have done a ton of work on the era bringing up to scratch for 1.13.6 and adding a few new bits. Would you be willing to test the new version?

p.s. pickpocketing your own troops is pretty amusing...
My current projects:
Bob_The_Mighty

Re: Bob's RPG Era

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Just an update to say that I've been working on a new version of Bob's RPG Era for 1.3.x. There are major changes including new items and abilities, some visual improvements and tons of little bug fixes. I've also got a new RPG scenario in the works, but maybe that's just a rumour...

Anyway, in the meantime here's a chart of all the available 'talents' players can pick for their characters.
Attachments
I made this some time ago, but I can't remember why. I figured I'd post it here for reference.
I made this some time ago, but I can't remember why. I figured I'd post it here for reference.
My current projects:
LordAwsomeness

Post by LordAwsomeness »

Hey Bob. I am currently working on a little RPG and I am wanting to make it so it synergizes with your add-on. How would I make weapons in my RPG that could work with your era? Specifically I want to make weapons and armor that you can use in your inventory for the era. Also what ever happened to the random item drops upon starting the game like clay being dropped on dirt etc.?
- Been playing Wesnoth since 2004 and the 1.0.x versions.
- Creator of Undead Invasion MP Scenario Pack.
- Creator of Valeria MP Adventure
- Creator of LA_RPG ERA
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Hey Lord Awsomeness. I'm all up for this. My RPG era should work fine already on most MP maps, but if you want it to have some of the same features as my RPGs (shops, loot, etc) then you're best looking at the files for Fall of Trent or Labyrinth of Champions. In both scenarios there is a section called 'Incorporating Bob's RPG Era' which includes code to a) scatter ingredient items on certain types of terrain, b) place shops and define what items they sell, and c) place special collectable items on the map at specific co-ordinates.

At the moment you would be restricted to using weapons, armour and items that are already coded into the era (there is actually more of this stuff than you realise). Giving a character a new item can actually be as simple as changing a variable inside an event in your scenario. For instance, giving someone a lump of clay can be achieved thus: {VARIABLE_OP inventory[$side_number].clay add 1}.

If you need any further help, feel free to ask.
My current projects:
LordAwsomeness

Post by LordAwsomeness »

When is somebody going to officially release Bob's RPG Era for 1.14? I am planning to release a scenario that uses it as a dependency soon. I have beta tested the 1.12 compatible version on 1.14 and so far i have only encountered a few minor bugs. Primarily noticeable is the lack of portraits that appear for certain classes that do not appear when you try to choose and customize for 1.14.

Also how would I make a side such as side 5 that is controlled by a human player not receive the rpg elements like gaining an inventory and whatnot?

I will edit this post and list any more bugs I come across as I further explore the era again. Thank you!
- Creator of LA_RPG ERA
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Hey Lord Awesomeness. How is your scenario going? I'd be happy to support it with this era, but there's a 'bug' I need to fix first. When are you looking to release your RPG?
Also how would I make a side such as side 5 that is controlled by a human player not receive the rpg elements like gaining an inventory and whatnot?
Try this: Store the side leader in a prestart event and set the [variables] of the leader unit to character_status=active. This should skip the set-up stage that gives them an inventory and all the rest.
My current projects:
yamcha

Post by yamcha »

Any chance this is coming to 1.14.1?
Along with all those fantastic RPG maps of course (Labyrinth of Champions, Fall of Trent, etc).
LordAwsomeness

Post by LordAwsomeness »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote: May 15th, 2018, 11:13 pm Hey Lord Awesomeness. How is your scenario going? I'd be happy to support it with this era, but there's a 'bug' I need to fix first. When are you looking to release your RPG?
It may be a couple of months. Currently caught up working two jobs and doing an internship for college. Hopefully I will have more time near the end of the summer to actually start developing it. Also I will have to come up with a way to make it so my inventory system does not activate if Bob's RPG Era is active. Currently working on a smaller scale version of the big project. Using this one to get my wml coding back up to par.

And to make up for the ascence of your era, I actually toook it upon myself to create my own inventory system and use sprites pillaged from 1.8 Wesband. Mine is not quite as fancy as yours, but it gives players more availability to weapons and stuff that was completely absent without your era anyways.
- Creator of LA_RPG ERA