Bob's RPG Era (now with achievements!)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Shaman_A

Re: Bob's RPG Era (now on 1.10!)

Post by Shaman_A »

I thought initially that i doing something wrong when i was chosing race for vagabond, and then noticed they all are humans. Is this intended?
Bob_The_Mighty

Re: Bob's RPG Era (now on 1.12!)

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

I've updated Bob's RPG Era to make it run smoothly on Wesnoth 1.12. It's on the add-on server now - alongside ported versions of all my old RPG scenarios: Into The Underworld, Labyrinth of Champions and Fall of Trent.

Each new version of Wesnoth always introduces new bugs into UMC, but I've not come across anything major yet. If you do, please let me know.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
AlexVSharp

Post by AlexVSharp »

We've tried playing 'Fall of Trent' and 'Into the Underworld', and the Ranger's 'Tamer' profession doesn't work on the wolves in the forest in either. There is no option to use the skill too. Same goes for the 'Rider', since no horses or anything similar appears to exist.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

If you choose the 'rider' trait you start with a horse which you can mount or dismount at will. Thanks for pointing out the bug with 'tamer', I'd guess it's to do with a change in how races are filtered in 1.12.
My current projects:
Rosencrantz

Re: Bob's RPG Era (now on 1.10!)

Post by Rosencrantz »

Shaman_A wrote:I thought initially that i doing something wrong when i was chosing race for vagabond, and then noticed they all are humans. Is this intended?
I do not think so. Elves lack a unit for such things, as do dwarves. The only unit that does fit besides humans would be the orcs. :whistle:
Emperor Rosencrantz of Discordia, Chaos Clad in True Darkness

You have existed because I allow it, and you will end, because I demand it.
There can be no true Despair, without the poison of Hope.
Rosencrantz

The Orcs Exclusion is Over

Post by Rosencrantz »

The Orcs have a series of units that can be applied to most of the normal classes. Below is a detailed plan of Orc units.

Orc Warrior: Uses Orcish Ruler Sprite/attacks/etc. Default Hp is 46, MP 5, Default Melee is 8-3 and default ranged is 7-2. Standard Orc Ruler movement costs, no resistances. Uses Sword and Crossbow. Traits would be rouser, forager, and weaponsmith. Defects would be selfish, naive, clubfoot, psycho, stupid, diseased, and brutal.

Orc Ranger: Uses Orcish Crossbowman Sprite/attacks/etc. Default Hp is 40, MP 5, Default Melee is 4-3 and Default Ranged is 7-3, fire crossbow is removed. Standard Orc Crossboman movement costs, no resistances. Uses Sword and Crossbow. Traits would be Forager and Tamer. Defects would be selfish, naive, clubfoot, cowardly, stupid, diseased, and brutal.

Orc Vagabond: Uses Orcish Slayer Sprite/attacks/etc. Default hp is 36, MP 6, Default Melee is 6-3 and Default Ranged is 5-3, poison and marksman removed from throwing knives. Standard Orc Slayer movement costs, -30% impact, -20% slash, and -20% pierce resistances. Uses daggers and Throwing Knives. Traits would be pickpocket, trapper, and hitman. Defects would be naive, selfish, gambler, stupid, unlucky, psycho, and diseased.

Note: Brutal is a defect I have invented for the Orcs to use; any time your unit gives/receives items from any other unit, there is a chance(10%) you will strike them as a result of your cruel heritage. These strikes CANNOT kill/slow/poison, but will reduce hp all the way to Hp like poison. Forager is a trait for the Orcs, but can be applied to human rangers as well; due to your knowledge of game animals and various plant foods, you can once per turn before an attack attempt to hunt game, with a 55% chance of success. Success will earn you between 4-6 hp and/or will cure poison (this is a personal effect, it cannot be shared). Failure results in you losing your attack for the turn, as well as losing either 1 hit or 2 damage fromall counterattacks until your next turn. Hitman is a trait I invented for the Orcs, though it can be used by Chaotic Human Vagabonds; each turn, before you attack, you can choose to spend 3 gold to get an extra attack, but cannot move and must target the same enemy. Note that they can counterattack this, at half damage (if slowed then they do 50% normal damage, effect does not work with slow, and you make the extra attack at 10% increase to hit, but with only 1 hit.) Weaponsmith is a renamed version of weaponscraft, I also recommend replacing the concoctionist title with alchemist as this is more appropriate for wesnoth's time period and more recognized by new players to Bob's RPG Era.

Other Notes: Below is a link to images for the Orc units. Use images that relate to the unit, though in case of Crossbowman, may need to interpret a little.
http://postimg.org/gallery/o878hfa8/acabac40/

Final note: This is NOT a demand, it's an idea I have pondered over for weeks, though I leave it to you, Bob, to decide what to do with this. Thanks for reading this long post :lol: :mrgreen:

Bob_The_Mighty

Re: Bob's RPG Era (huge update!)

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

I've just uploaded a new version (1.6.3) of Bob's RPG Era to the add-ons server for Wesnoth 1.12. I've done a ton of work this time, here's some of the new features:

- I've rewritten the inventory code and added a new whole armour system which includes over 60 types of equipable armour - all with different stat bonuses. Players now have five slots (head, chest, legs, hands, feet) which they can equip with different types of armour from helmets and gauntlets to skirts and boots. The slots are displayed in the inventory screen (see the attachments below). As with the weapons, I've remained faithful to the unit sprites so certain characters can only use certain armour types. A Lieutenant wears plate armour; Dwarves tend to go for chainmail; Vagabonds use leather and magicians are confined to robes and cloaks. New armour is mostly found in shops.

- I've also added a load of new weapons with custom abilities and some general items like 'The Horn of Beasts' which allows you to summon random critters. There is also now an item called Potato. It's a potato. It heals 1 hitpoint.

- I've added five new playable characters: Elf Vagabond, Orc Ruler, Orc Crossbowman, Orc Slayer, Orc Shaman.

- There's a new vagabond talent called 'Scavenger' which allows you to rummage through the possessions of fallen units to receive a random minor item. At the moment there are 30 randomised results.

- I thought it was time magicians got some attention. They now have access to a new talent called 'Smite' which allows them to attack enemies up to five hexes away with a special super magic attack. The smite attack grows in power each turn; so you can either fire off a succession of weak attacks or wait a few turns and unleash a mighty strike. Magicians can do this alongside their regular attack and they even get xp for it.

Here's the complete list of changes since the last version I posted.
Spoiler:
In other news, I've also uploaded a new RPG scenario which is fully compatible with this era: The Kraken. This is now the 4th multiplayer scenario designed to be used with Bob's RPG Era.

1. Fall of Trent
2. Labyrinth of Champions
3. Into The Underworld
4. The Kraken

Remember that these four scenarios can be played with any era - just as Bob's RPG Era can be used on any map.

If anyone would like to try and make a MP scenario designed for this era, let me know. I'd be pleased to help out.
Attachments
A warrior with a selection of plate armour to choose from. Note the different body slots.
A warrior with a selection of plate armour to choose from. Note the different body slots.
A vagabond with a selection of leather armour to choose from.
A vagabond with a selection of leather armour to choose from.
My current projects:
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Damn, you've written the exact item inventory that i had always planned in case that i should need one. :D
I've played the other maps and i'm thrilled for the kraken. 8)
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

I've beaten kraken :P!
Kraken is a... *warning spoiler detected - read it by your own risk*
Spoiler:
Another little spoiler:
Spoiler:
30% to vanish summoned unit hmmm, its good at start when you code something first time but later this could be improved like magical class with each next lvl has lower chance to vanish summoned unit (from 40% to 25%, 40/35/30/25), also some limit for summons is required (2/3/4/5) for one unit.

If other creeps (not summoned) could choose these unit classes it could be also a good improvement.

It looks nice, I guess you had to use lua to do this body where you can see items (it reminds me Heroes 3 Might & Magic), I wish this was able to do in WML.

I don't understand only why your forcing classes to use only one type of weapon and armour... like Dwarv couldn't use platemail or some leather, or like warrior couldn't use well axe and sword (here you can use only weapon type with which your unit stats scenario, that kida wierd for me)... Btw with this lua you could also add window at start in which you have to choose your unit stats llike strenght/dexterity/condition/intelligence/charisma/wisdom (as its in BG and NWN).

Thx to psycho from your scenario I have new ideas for items in MWC.

Minus is this that you says that each era can be used in this your scenario but picking classes and all items stuff works only with your era... I would add it to scenario code thx this each era you use could have picking improvements/disadvantages of your unit.

I would decrease also price of new adding/improving classes from 6 to 5 points.

I don't see psycho (which makes battle 10x longer) as a minus, its useful for fighter units, you just need to remember by whole game that you can go in rage in each battle.

The least efficient from what I was playing is tamer for me, by whole game I tame nothing, easier was to kill enemies.
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
Rosencrantz

Post by Rosencrantz »

I applaud the Orcs finally being a part of the era! I have been off for a while, but am now back! The Elf Tracker art seems a bit out of place, but I guess there are no others. Wait... no Take that back, I will find art that bob can use!
Last edited by Rosencrantz on August 19th, 2015, 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by Computer_Player »

I just finished Fall of Trent yesterday, the first RPG that I've finished.. ever. XD

Although by finished, it was just that scenario...

Fall of Trent spoiler
Spoiler:
Bugs / feedback .

1. Smite although awesome, has no limit currently. Still it was pretty awesome to bring down a thermonuclear warhead of arcane energies down on a boss to one shot it XD

2. Endarken doesn't work.

3. Herbalist is I think bit underpowered, specially slime = removing slow (almost useless), the suggestion of remove slow + 2mp is nice tho. Bark being -1 max xp is pretty meh, I'm thinking increased resists for 1 turn (+10% resis for physical attacks?)?

4. Ranged item such as the sling is too overpriced, +1 attack isn't worth its price now I think

5. Riders.. any tweaking to how it works in the future? All the others have neat abilities, and Riders get a.. horse. A killable horse, that doesn't level nor transfers xp (hence its kills are xp waste). Perhaps the ability to get new rides on the level up? Or item purchase? I'm not sure.

6. Is the Rpg era going to support water units in the future? For watery rpgs? (I suppose that would kill random for some maps, but in my experience hardly anyone chooses that)
Rosencrantz

Post by Rosencrantz »

I have played some on the Orcs. I like it! I noticed something I should have: the need of a Vagabond/Warrior.

My solution: Saurian Ambusher. Spearsmanship and Javelineering as weapon skills. Armor heavier than a vagabond, but lesser than a warrior. Have standard hp, resists, move costs, and terrain defence. Traits of Trapper, Pickpocket, Scavenger, and Weaponscraft. Defects of Naive, Selfish, Liminal, Diseased, Gambler, and Stupid.

2nd objective: Force ring slots, max of 2. Cape slot, Necklace Slot, Shield Slot (for certain characters, like cape.) Let there be several classes of armor/equipment for each character.

Magician: Mage Robes, Enchanted Robes, Mystical Robes, Master Robes, and Archmage Robes

Warrior: Iron Plate, Chainmail Suit, Steel Plate, Dwarven Plate Armor, Mithril Suit, Drake Plate Armor, and Ebony Plate Armor.

Vagabond: Leather Armor, Studded Leather Armor, Scale Armor, Elven Half-Plate Armor, and Glass Plate Armor

Ranger: Studded Leather Armor, Scale Armor, Chainmail Suit, Bonemold Armor, and Orcish Armor.

Having a full set of matching gear, such as a full ebony suit of armor, should provide a bonus. Both the cost and the rarity of these items should increase with quality. The best armor for each class should be only one in map for example. Shields should exist in a set with Scale, Bonemold, Orcish, Elven Half-Plate, Glass Plate, Ebony Plate, Drake Plate, Dwarven Plate, Steel Plate, and Iron Plate armors.

Will have a future post for updates on rings, necklaces/pendants/amulets, capes, and weapons.

Rosencrantz

Post by Rosencrantz »

Computer_Player wrote:I just finished Fall of Trent yesterday, the first RPG that I've finished.. ever. XD

Although by finished, it was just that scenario...

Fall of Trent spoiler
Spoiler:
Bugs / feedback .

1. Smite although awesome, has no limit currently. Still it was pretty awesome to bring down a thermonuclear warhead of arcane energies down on a boss to one shot it XD

2. Endarken doesn't work.

3. Herbalist is I think bit underpowered, specially slime = removing slow (almost useless), the suggestion of remove slow + 2mp is nice tho. Bark being -1 max xp is pretty meh, I'm thinking increased resists for 1 turn (+10% resis for physical attacks?)?

4. Ranged item such as the sling is too overpriced, +1 attack isn't worth its price now I think

5. Riders.. any tweaking to how it works in the future? All the others have neat abilities, and Riders get a.. horse. A killable horse, that doesn't level nor transfers xp (hence its kills are xp waste). Perhaps the ability to get new rides on the level up? Or item purchase? I'm not sure.

6. Is the Rpg era going to support water units in the future? For watery rpgs? (I suppose that would kill random for some maps, but in my experience hardly anyone chooses that)
Am REWRITING this reply to this comment, pm me for specifics, as am annoyed and will use a summarized version here.

1: Smite should not target all units, just enemies, can target anyone. Limit of 15-1 damage.

2: See images below, does agree with you.

3: Ranger has bad traits, new trait: Tracker. Can increase critical hit chance for other players by 5-15% or can lower enemy terrain defence by 5-15%. Cannot attack or move in same turn as does this, effects end after they end their turn. (Pinning Shot for terrain, Numbing Shot for Critical).

4: Vagabond is not heavy fighter, so no real need for better weapons.

5: You can remount horse in your next turn after you have dismounted, cannot mount/dismount in same turn. Sprite issues will exist possibly for better horses, but could be good idea.

6: Only mermen and naga can do any water-dominant map, and most enemies they will fight will take a long time to die in water due to good defences (assuming enemies are like occultist mermen or a naga assassins guild). Most traits would have to be thrown to the wind or remade. In short, too much work, not enough fun.

Here are images for darken bug. Click on them to see better. http://postimg.org/gallery/sj5a4sto/

ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

Hello, while checking your addon code I found that this:

Code: Select all

[effect]
											apply_to=attack
											range=melee
											[set_specials]
												mode=append
												{WEAPON_SPECIAL_MAIMED}
											[/set_specials]
										[/effect]
										[effect]
											apply_to=attack
											range=ranged
											[set_specials]
												mode=append
												{WEAPON_SPECIAL_MAIMED}
											[/set_specials]
										[/effect]
you can change for this:

Code: Select all

[effect]
											apply_to=attack
											[set_specials]
												mode=append
												{WEAPON_SPECIAL_MAIMED}
											[/set_specials]
										[/effect]
both works same.
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
Pyrochemik

Post by Pyrochemik »

Hello, i didnt read through any posts before me so sorry if I only repeat somebody else - ability darkens is way weaker than brightens, no slef effect, and even doesnt seem to atleast negate brighten ability in same area (white mage boss).