Bob's RPG Era (now with achievements!)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: Bob's RPG Era (now on 1.10!)

Post by jb »

The new additions look very promising. Rouse is fun.

I wondered if there was a way to visually see your current critical hit %. During character upgrade I noticed the option of buying +1% luck, but not any way to know what the current % is.

cheers
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
FallenPhoenix

Post by FallenPhoenix »

Hmm... I'm trying to start translate this era, and see, that you like to use sign _ everywhere. For example:
message= _ {MENU_IMG_TXT "icons/traits/weaponcraft.png" _"<span color='{BOB_GREEN}'>Weaponcraft</span>
<span size='small'>You are skilled at preparing and maintaining your weapon.
Effect: Allows you to use raw materials to improve melee weapons.</span>"
}
But it's just a prefix for translatable strings, and it's wrong to place it before any macro. Using macro inside that strings is also bad, cause... at this sample source string with your {BOB_GREEN} substring will be generated, but game engine will replace your macro at first, and will search string with #33ff00 (i.e. content of your macro). Of cource, translators can manually add string with this value, but sometimes it's too hard. Variables can be used easy.

Another thing is I can't understand, why the next code translating normally:
message="&icons/traits/weaponcraft.png=<span color='{BOB_GREEN}'>" + _"Weaponcraft" + "</span>
<span size='small'>"
+ _"You are skilled at preparing and maintaining your weapon.
Effect: Allows you to use raw materials to improve melee weapons."
+ "</span>"
but next code won't:
message={MENU_IMG_TXT "icons/traits/weaponcraft.png" ("<span color='{BOB_GREEN}'>" + _"Weaponcraft" + "</span>
<span size='small'>"
+ _"You are skilled at preparing and maintaining your weapon.
Effect: Allows you to use raw materials to improve melee weapons."
+ "</span>")}
MENU_IMG_TXT macro placed in utils.cfg file, which use wesnoth text domain, but some mainline scenarios use it for translatable strings without any additions. And I tried to put same macro inside your .cfg, but with no result.
Independent translator. // Sorry for my English :)
Моя версия перевода [url=http://forum.wesnothlife.ru/index.php?topic=1141.0]тут[/url].
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Hi FallenPhoenix. Thank you for your interest in translating the era. As you can probably tell, I have little understanding of how translations work in Wesnoth.

If you can tell me what needs to be changed to make it easier for you I will do it.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

I've just uploaded another quick update: 1.4.2.

- I've fixed rouser, found a workaround for clubfoot and disabled stupid as it wasn't doing anything either.
- I've also fixed the oos caused by AI units levelling.
- There's also a few other little fixes.

jb, your character's critical hit chance is visible on the character sheet, next to weapon skill.
My current projects:
FallenPhoenix

Post by FallenPhoenix »

Nice, but I found another minor issue: help menu has duplicate "Inventory" item instead of "Critical Hits".

I upload my adaptation for translations here, when it's will be done, but sometimes may need help :) My understanding of this is not perfect too, and some hard moment are found (that can be just engine issues with easy). I don't think, it's really to make perfect translations orientation during development without it, but you can read this topic (and may be this) to make your future works more able to translate ;)

Briefly, just all strings works either with or without underline prefix, but using it before quotes make string translatable.
Some moments:
  • Try don't use any macro inside translatable strings (you can use variables instead), cause it's doesn't work correctly.
  • If you want split some equal strings to different translation units (i.e. make able to translate some equal strings differently), you can use non-visible prefix inside like [color=#BF0000]_"[/color][color=violet]blablabla^[/color][color=#BF0000]your string"[/color].
  • To make translatable only part of string, you can use expression like this:
    message= [color=darkred]"some fixed text"[/color] + _[color=#BF0000]"some translatable text"[/color] + [color=darkred]"another fixed text"[/color]
  • Usually, no need to include formatting tags inside translatable part.
Моя версия перевода [url=http://forum.wesnothlife.ru/index.php?topic=1141.0]тут[/url].
FallenPhoenix

Post by FallenPhoenix »

...also found, that you forget set gender to Battle Mage unit:
Bobs_RPG_Era/units/characters/vagabonds/Battle_Mage.cfg:
I make some more tests for above situation with {MENU_IMG_TXT} macro:
Spoiler:
So, it works normally only with single translatable string (i.e. without join), but can be fixed using variables. I think, frequenly it's more easy to use just direct DescriptionWML instead (or alternatively, use special own macros). Fortunately, much of your constructions are successfully changes semi-automatic using regexp replacing, like this: :)
AkelPad → SearchReplace.js wrote:from: message= _ {MENU_IMG_TXT2 "(.*\.png)" "(.*)" _"<span color='{BOB_GREEN}'>(.*)</span>\n<span size='small'>(.*)</span>"}
to: message= "&$1=$2=<span color='{BOB_GREEN}'>" + _"$3" + "</span>\n<span size='small'>" + _"$4" + "</span>"
But armors, weapons, weapon skills etc seems harder, cause it use name as id (and cause I'm not much understanding your code :)), so translation of it is a way to different bugs (as I understand). Could you split this attributes, Bob, that internal id of each item will allways fixed, but name used only for display, i.e. can be variable/translatable?

Another question is about translation of loot: Ulox Rock, Huanti Leaves, Yoll Tree Bark, Fungi. What is it?
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Just uploaded another new version: 1.4.4. This fixes lots of little bugs and should run a bit quicker. The main change for the players is you can now use stuff like inventory, stances and talents with 0 moves. All that is required is that you have not attacked. I thought it important to standardise this so players know instinctively when they can use the features and when they can't.

I've also tried to make some of it easier to translate, by losing some of the convoluted strings. However, I haven't yet tried untangling the text in the equipment macros as I fear it will involve a big rewrite of some very complicated code. I may need some help figuring out a workaround.
My current projects:
FallenPhoenix

Post by FallenPhoenix »

Trying to understand some your changes, and merge it...
Do you use any VCS? Look at my repo, if you interested: https://github.com/FallenPhoenix/wesnot ... s/fphoenix
And upload please anywhere your old Fall of Trent version for my tests? I update it, but it wasn't on Git :(
FallenPhoenix

Post by FallenPhoenix »

Merged. You can see differences from above repo or from attached archieve.

Some comments:
item_macros.cfg wrote:[color=#4080FF]{BOB_PRINT[/color] [color=#BF0000]_"[/color][color=Coral]$character[$side_number].name[/color][color=#BF0000] has found an item"[/color][color=#4080FF]}[/color]
Yes, it's more easy, but I like with item names more... Next time I want to make female version for all messages like this (it was tested on this commit), which make it larger by 2 times... but seems, you use same articles for each item in different situations (found/gived/buyed... an item), and it has same noun case in Russian. So may be better remake this using special item variables? I.e. each item can have some number of strings dependent of it's type, like in database... for example: "Health Potion", "a health potion", "Restores 6 hitpoints"
giving.cfg wrote:[color=Gray]> > > > > [/color]message= [color=#BF0000]_ "How much gold will you give to [/color][color=Coral]$unit.name|[/color][color=#BF0000]?[/color]
[color=Gray]> > > > .[/color]
[color=Coral]$unit.name[/color][color=#BF0000] currently has: [/color][color=Coral]$taker.gold|[/color][color=#BF0000]g"[/color]
where gray arrows represent tabs and gray dot is a whispace.
Just to many unneeded whitespaces, that сan make translators life more harder, cause it sensitive =) Try to place only one more accurately plz.

You don't need to remove macros like {BOB_PRINT}, cause it works fine. Also usually no need to replace your color shortcuts, cause it better looks outside translatable strings. And finally no need to put translatable strings, which is macro arguments, inside brackets, if you place underline symbol without spaces. Mainliners like use that space between prefix and string, but it can be anywhere, and I like to place it in close, cause it looks like an attribute more (in C# strings can have attribute @, that only works in close) :)

And fix unit classes please, that all women have female^ prefix (see my changes).
Attachments
Bob's RPG Era v1.4.4.7z
(5.33 MiB) Downloaded 793 times
FallenPhoenix

Post by FallenPhoenix »

Bob so silent, but some others seems to be interested, so I hope my additional pains to make changes more understandable is not meaningless (like translation and sorting my git repository).

I found and fixed some bugs (see here), make scripts more short and easy, and applied many changes to it's can be translatable: now no items or skills identified by displayed name, and many messages have female variation. My translation is not yet done, but adaptation seems completed (may be, needed some minor changes and compatibility fixes for mainline tools, which I don't use).

I also experimentally tried to make single macro database for all items (see here). I think, it can make more easy "objective" development, but not sure about preparation time with macro overloading: I'm not experienced in WML, but Wesnoth parsing scenarios too long (especially on Windows + with many addons), and I don't want to increase this time more. Who can tell me, when it interprets macros: during loading multiplayer section or not?
Attachments
Test-Bobs_RPG_Era.7z
Scenario just for debugging
(3.37 KiB) Downloaded 810 times
Bob's RPG Era v1.4.4.7z
Original Bob's version + my main version + version with database
(5.33 MiB) Downloaded 844 times
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

I tried to start a Fall of Trent game (in Bob RPG era) and I've got an error at start: unknown unit type: random.

I've gotit when trying to select:

mage, warrior, vagabond, rangre, mixed (vagabond mage)

when i selected all 5 random, no error
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

I had shuffle sides on, that might be it?
FallenPhoenix

Post by FallenPhoenix »

csarmi, I can't reproduce it. What versions do you use, and when error message happens: after map loading, character creation or another?
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Since I've recently updated two of my rpgs, Labyrinth Of Champions and Into The Underworld, I had another bash at the RPG Era. I've incorporated lots of FallenPhoenix's improvements and made tons of bug fixes. It's all been tarted up a bit basically.

Anyway, the main changes are two new 'defect' traits and one 'talent' trait:
Gambler - "Your compulsive habit has racked up enormous debts. You start with -100 gold, -10 income and get no gold for villages. In addition, you may not give gold to other players."
Unlucky - "You always seem to mess up at the vital moment. You are 20% more likely to be dealt critical hits."
Rider - "You are trained in the art of riding. An adjacent animal with the 'mount' ability can be riden by right-clicking on it. To dismount, right-click again on an empty adjacent hex. You will not be able to move after dismounting. Whilst mounted your max moves, movetype and pierce resistances are modified."

Here's an entire list of changes since my last post. It's only so detailed in case FallenPhoenix is still interested in helping.
Spoiler:
Attachments
dismount.jpg
dismount.jpg (154.95 KiB) Viewed 11082 times
mount.jpg
mount.jpg (163.88 KiB) Viewed 11082 times
My current projects:
FallenPhoenix

Post by FallenPhoenix »

I have merged all your updates and made some new changes, see commits from January 21st: REPOSITORY.
Btw, i renamed all branches that it start from en# or ru# prefixes. However, old commits still unchanged and even with same hash.

Pay attention on this commit. There original strings changes. My English is not well, so correct me, when need. But try make please equal descriptions, articles etc for same items in misc dialogs. Of cource, you can make exceptions for some of this, if you wish; but I suppose, usually it's not need, and now it was looked more like accidental differences (btw, it's one of the reasons, why making db can be good: no need to check strings everywhere after each edit :hmm:).

I also generated POT-file (translations template), so translators to other languages are welcome :)
But disable please my .MO file by default before upload to addon server, cause it still undone. I know, many players are accustomed to poor and incomplete translations, but it's not good. For example, you can just rename this file by placing some symbol (!, ~ etc) before name. So anybody interested to help or test, can found it, but players who either don't wanna look to files, will not use :roll:
Attachments
Bob's RPG Era v1.4.7.7z
(5.3 MiB) Downloaded 786 times