Bob's RPG Era (now with achievements!)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zenogias

Re: Bob's RPG Era

Post by Zenogias »

Hullo, there is a typo in the Battle_Mage.cfg file which describes the Vagabond Magician who utilizes the Princess w/ Scepter images.

In the line describing the defense animation, the path for the image is "units/human-princess-scepter-defend.png" where it SHOULD be "units/humans/human-princess-scepter-defend.png"

The effect of this, right now, is that when she defends, she disappears.

FYI, Zenogias, I went ahead and deleted the all-caps thread. -Ken Oh
Crowley

Post by Crowley »

Hi.
First of all, I love this addon, I'm trying it on every RPG map I encounter (now I'm trying to find the good settings to use it on Colosseum).
Maybe it's been already told, but i think there's a bug with the feat: Surprise (Vagabond level 4). I can't kill unit with it, it only lowers the unit HP to a negative value, without killing it.
Maybe it's deliberate, but I don't think so.
sneef

Post by sneef »

About the the defects:

Naïve - You start with -5 character points.
Stupid - Your Max XP is increased by 20%.

These are basically the same thing with naive being "stupid-lite". Naive is also a one-time charge at the start whereas stupid (and all the other defects) are ongoing over the course of the game. Since it is apparently better to be naive than stupid I just made all the characters naive and went with that.

So the suggestion is to just go with stupid as -20% XP, or a naive version of stupidity (8 character points per level).

It might also be interesting just to randomly assign these defects at the start (who chooses a defect?)
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

sneef, that's a good point. I hadn't thought about those traits being so similar. Maybe I should make naive, deduct 1 or 2 cp every time you level?

Randomly assigning defects would be realistic, yes, but annoying to play with. I think different players have their 'favourite' handicaps.

Any ideas for more defects are always welcome.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
sneef

Post by sneef »

I'd go with a deduction (such as 1 or 2pts) which is more visible, as opposed to a percentage increase on the XP to level. 2pts seems closer in severity to most of the other defects.

As to other defects, something that affects other party members, such as "demoralizing": -10% Attack/defend to adjacent friendly units, or (if random) maybe 20% chance per turn to slow them.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

The 'stupid' trait should be easy enough to gauge, since it is like the opposite of the default 'intelligent' trait.

What about a 'frail' trait which was the opposite of resilient?

I guess a name like 'slow learner' would be more suitable than 'naive' for a cp deduction.

I was also thinking of a trait like 'poor' or 'gambler' which meant you began with less gold than everyone else, perhaps even with negative debts. Again, it would only affect the player at the start, but the lack of equipment might be felt throughout.

Defects that disadvantaged other players would be interesting, but it seems hard enough already to encourage team-work. That might just end up being annoying.
My current projects:
Luroch_Delkar
Location: Some people are in homes, some are in cars, I am in-sane.

Post by Luroch_Delkar »

Random brainstorm:

How about something like Insulting.
Effect: Enemies will attack you before your allies.

I am not sure if this is even possible in WML, but there may be a way.

Perhaps it could be added to a new class of defects:
The standard class dependent defects that the player chooses.
Player-number-defined defects that apply no matter what the class.

So say the baddies always have a dislike for player 5.

p.s. This may not be a good idea, because if say player 5's defect is really bad, people may quit as soon as they find out that they are player 5.
--edit--
Perhaps the side# defined defects could be balanced with side# defined talents.
e.g. Player 2 is weak(diminished health) but is a "born leader"(starts with low level leadership) so that other players will strive to keep him/her alive.

The "born leader" trait should stack with other leadership abilities.
"The Enforcer knows only one way to preserve peace. So mind your neighbors else it will descend upon you." Sword of the Stars Forever
HAPPINESS=Moderation, Variety, and Love
Current Projects: Jailbreak (RPG)(3/4 completed) , Dungeonmaster Era
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Why don't make defect optional.
I mean, IMO is can sometimes ruin the game for me.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Luroch_Delkar
Location: Some people are in homes, some are in cars, I am in-sane.

Post by Luroch_Delkar »

You mean like a level select before character creation?

Easy= without defects
Normal=with defects
Hard= randomly assigned defects (aka you don't get to pick)
"The Enforcer knows only one way to preserve peace. So mind your neighbors else it will descend upon you." Sword of the Stars Forever
HAPPINESS=Moderation, Variety, and Love
Current Projects: Jailbreak (RPG)(3/4 completed) , Dungeonmaster Era
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Luroch_Delkar wrote:You mean like a level select before character creation?

Easy= without defects
Normal=with defects
Hard= randomly assigned defects (aka you don't get to pick)
Yeah, or a yes/no menu option.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Ruksa

Post by Ruksa »

I apologize if this has been previously mentioned, but the "Wisdom" perk doesn't seem to be worth buying. It takes 4 cp or 40% of the total cp earned per level, and only reduces your experience required for the next level by 3. Even at starting level, this is only a reduction of 10-15%. Since Exp = cp this is not worthwhile. At higher levels it's even worse than that. Factor in that spending experience to lessen the amount of your next level is counterproductive since every time you level up, the max. exp. necessary goes up anyway. What if wisdom acted as a multiplier for experience instead? So that if a character with level 1 wisdom earned 8 exp for a lvl 1 kill, they received 10? or 9 or whatever. As it is 'wisdom' is like making the minimum credit card payment.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

I hadn't thought of it like that, perhaps because the max xp increase that comes with amla was only added later on. What if wisdom reduced map xp by a percentage, or if i just made it cheaper?
My current projects:
Desertofsounds1

Post by Desertofsounds1 »

Just to point it out.
The dwarf rangers attack animations are placed the wrong way around.

Melee->ranged, ranged->melee
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

So I finally got round to porting Bob's RPG Era to 1.10. Then I got carried away and added a bunch of new features. :D

1. All characters now begin with a selection of minor items. These are random yet related to the character's race, class and talent

2. The corpses of dead units remain on the map

3. I added an alternative 'talent' for the Warrior class. Rouser allows you to right-click on a friendly unit to gives them a temporary move bonus. Think of it like an inspiring speech, or a sharp jab in the ribs.

4. I've created a 'critical hit' system. Each unit has a percentage chance of critically injuring an opponent. If the attacker gets lucky, the enemy is either brained (xp loss), maimed (-1 strikes), crippled (-2 moves) or blinded (-10% cth). These injuries are removed when a unit begins a turn with full health. Players can spend character points to increase their chance of scoring a critical hit. This should be fun.

Here's the full list of changes.
Spoiler:
As ever, please let me know what you think of the new features, tell me about bugs or suggest even more crazy ideas...
My current projects:
Drakefriend

Re: Bob's RPG Era (now on 1.10!)

Post by Drakefriend »

Clubfoot does not work correctly, the movement is not reduced.
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.