Bob's RPG Era (now with achievements!)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

yamcha

Re: Bob's RPG Era

Post by yamcha »

I'm still sad this isn't in 1.14 :(
Bob_The_Mighty

Re: Bob's RPG Era

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Bob's RPG Era is now available on the add-ons server for Wesnoth 1.14!

You'll also find four of my RPG scenarios: Fall of Trent, Labyrinth of Champions, Into the Underworld and The Kraken. Not much has changed in the scenarios, but the era has had a big update since the last version.

You can see the full list of changes here...
Spoiler:
However, the two main changes in 1.7 are achievements and custom options.

- Your character can unlock achievements in the game if they perform particular feats. You can earn character points by unlocking the achievements before other players. These range from 'Artful Dodger' (dodge every strike from three attackers in a row) to 'Collector Maniac' (pick up 20 items from the ground). See the screenshot below for full details. The achievements are accessible in-game through the Character Sheet.

I'm not usually a fan of achievements in games, but I thought it would be fun to have another way of earning character points.
I'm not usually a fan of achievements in games, but I thought it would be fun to have another way of earning character points.

- The era is now modular so players can decide which features they want to use. If you click on 'custom options' in the game set-up screen you can can tick or untick boxes to enable/disable various features like stances, critical hits, defects and achievements. You can also enable 'Competitive Mode' which is intended for play on standard maps or survivals. See the screenshot for a better idea of where to find these options.

I imagine many players might miss this tab entirely. Others might find it useful, especially if they still have beef with the defects.
I imagine many players might miss this tab entirely. Others might find it useful, especially if they still have beef with the defects.

There has also been numerous fixes, buffs and tweaks. Some bugs I encountered in 1.13 seem to have vanished, but I wouldn't be surprised if 1.14 has snuck a couple more in. Please let me know if come across anything weird.

I've noticed playing on 1.14 that units seem very jerky during their movement animation when they reveal shroud. Obviously the RPG maps have lots of it. I'm not sure if it's my slowish computer that's producing the effect, or just the latest Wesnoth build. I'd be interested to know if others notice it too.

I've also been experiencing a bit of a lag at the start of turns, despite having streamlined much of the code. It can be alleviated by using the 'nosaves' command, but take care to make manual saves - or maybe just think of it as Ironman mode.

Happy adventuring!
Last edited by Bob_The_Mighty on July 10th, 2018, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

Re: Bob's RPG Era (now with achievements!)

Post by Computer_Player »

Yes yes yes! Finally anther one of my favorite add-ons has been added to 1.14.

With some very welcome improvements too! I like that Herbalism has been buffed, and Conjure has been nerfed. I very much look forward to playing full RPG games (and Competetive! XD)

So reports:
1. Smite can be fully recharged and malus TOD removed by changing stances back to normal stance.

Suggestions:

- The notifications for actions (i.e. item giving, finding) disappears too fast, a few more delay perhaps?
- Inventory items have indications on which class can use them
- Rider and Tamer class be combined to make them useful (give rider to other factions too?), allows option to ride some tamed animals
- Trapper be buffed by having Area of Effect traps / triggers. Would also make it more unique as a class
- Weaponscraft allow for inventory crafting of wearable items? Or pehaps have that as a different class.
- Conjured / Tamed creatures transfer 50% xp to their master?

Thanks once again Bob :)
yamcha

Post by yamcha »

YES! It's finally here! Thanks Bob!

And yes, I've also noticed the laggy unit movement animation too. I'm sure it isn't my PC because it's more than powerful enough.
Turning off minimap features fixed it for me.

EDIT: Some of my thoughts on the defects:

1. 'Diseased' seems way too terrible of a defect, 15% is too high considering turns can easily reach go above 200 in the RPG maps, that is a lot of damage you're going to take throughout the game, if not outright death when it happens at the worst time possible. My suggestion would be lowering the chance to 5%.

2. 'Stupid' still seems to be more worse than Naïve to me. Naive is just a penalty at the beginning, Stupid is a penalty throughout the entire game.

3. Gambler gives you -100 gold, that's too harsh. You're basically denied any shopping at all. Why not -10 or just 0 gold? Gambler could be the money equivalent to Naïve.

4. Rider seems a bit too good. The only reason you'd ever want to dismount is if you're facing enemies with pierce attacks, or fighting on mountains/forests. I'd like more incentive to dismount to fight. Maybe make it so on horseback you do 1- less ranged damage? Lore wise it's because on horseback it's harder to aim a bow than on foot, for example.

Overall I'd like a more balanced defect list. As it is now, most pick Naïve as it's the least damaging of them all, or Selfish if playing solo.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

There's a new version (1.7.2) with a few bug fixes and tweaks.
Computer_Player wrote: July 8th, 2018, 2:01 am1. Smite can be fully recharged and malus TOD removed by changing stances back to normal stance.
Thanks for reporting this. I've fixed both of these issues now. If you spot anything else, let me know.

yamcha, thanks for the feedback. I've now set diseased to 5%, stupid to 10% and made gambler start with only -30 gold.I'm welcome to any other ideas at balancing the defects.
Attachments
Here's what the new herbalism options look like...
Here's what the new herbalism options look like...
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

Bob's RPG era competitive mode playtest. Me vs Computer_player.
1v1 bob's rpg.gz
(241.77 KiB) Downloaded 571 times
DarkHorse

Post by DarkHorse »

great era thx.
here's some bug's!-

changing into a stance removes poisoning- the stance icon overwrites poison icon next to character portrait and poisoning is gone.

effect of mind potion is cancelled by someone going into run stance, even if it's a different character that does it. if you took more than one mind potion, the effect can also disappear one -3 bonus per turn (could be by design, idk)

run stance very erratic, can enter it in one turn, your mp max goes up and the icon is there, but next turn you still have the icon but mp back to normal. Almost anything seems to break your run, including gaining a mp through skill gain or icon equip, using all mp while running, being on crappy terrain, not having mp left on the turn you assumed run, someone else going into run, etc,etc

regs.
DarkHorse

Post by DarkHorse »

hi

Believe I have narrowed down the Run Stance bug to 'if one character leaves run stance all characters are returned to normal movement points, but with run penalties still applied and icons/labels still displayed'. Poison removed by stance change- sometimes yes, sometimes no.

regs
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

1. Changing stance cures from poison.

2. Changing stance seems to revert the xp to the value from before wisdom or xp potions.

Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Moah bugs to feast on. :-)

Just a display bug but it makes a major difference to the inventory's appearance.

The parameter being passed to BOBS_DISPLAY-ARMOUR (OK, you know what I mean :) macro is capitalized (BODY FEET HEAD HANDS LEGS) and so the pics are not being found and displayed since the dir is lowercase. Maybe on Windows this doesn't matter. Sure it doesn't under DOS but I digress.
When I repaired my savefile I was amazed to find over a thousand instances... whew. I love mass search and replace. It bloody well choked my fast laptop replacing them... hehe. Looks beyootiful now.
TheComedian

Post by TheComedian »

Hello !

Someone know if Bob planned to make this awesome mod compatible with 1.16 ?
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

TheComedian wrote: October 31st, 2021, 6:20 pm Hello !

Someone know if Bob planned to make this awesome mod compatible with 1.16 ?
Early days for 1.16. : ) Not everyone started adapting them in advance using the beta. Which makes good sense, there were still changes between the beta and 1.16.0...

I've seen bits of the internal workings of this addon and it might not be trivial to update to 1.16. I fervently hope it can be done though.
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Boy this era is fun, but...

I've been playing with this and the Kraken lately and found that there's an unfortunate limitation when they are combined. Kraken has 4 special items that are designed to help you win the game but they were meant to be useable by any hero. 4 for 4 characters... Sadly the RPG era prevents that since only staff wielders can wield staves, etc.

I think the Kraken should have a hint suggesting that if one plays using the era they should strongly consider tailoring their characters to the 4 items needed.

Staff, Sword, Axe & Bow are the 4 special weapons.

So there's the hint for all you new players. (On the forum at least)

And another thing the era needs is a DISCARD item routine. When you get breeches with a bonus there is no need to have the old worthless ones (no doubt worn merely for modesty's sake ; ) still around. The starting armour is all junk (literally) but it fills up the inventory screen.