Temples of the nagas -version 1.25 (NEW MAINTAINER!)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Qes

Re: Temples of the nagas - version 8

Post by Qes »

I love the temple of the nagas, and had grabbed it from 1.5.11's add-on server (am now using 1.5.12)

But there is this "spy" unit that belongs to brown, runs around, makes brown units, and if it dies, the scenario ends.

From what I remember - this was an "invisible" unit that wasnt ever supposed to participate in the game - instead it was a way for the humans to kill every single red enemy without ending the game. Do i have this wrong?

Now, it's just this black hex that blips around doing odd things.

I assume this is a bug?

I really enjoyed this map a year or more ago when I played it and want to be able to do so again.

If this is intended, I dont get it. And if not - what can i do to fix it?
Thanks
-Qes
Yes I use windows.
Yes I'm aware of what that means.
Yes I'm still gonna use windows.
Truper

Post by Truper »

The brown leader was originally a workaround for a problem: when a player lost his leader, he would be instantly dropped from the game and be unable to re-enter it if the ai side had no leader. So the brown leader was hidden under a mountain, and could not move or recruit.

That's what I remember anyway - its been a long time. To fix it, you'd have to figure out what about the terrain sytem changed, so he could once again be hidden under his mountain, and presumably reset his inability to recruit. You could also try simply removing the brown side altogether - for all I know, Wesnoth 1.5.x may well be more forgiving about ai sides with no leader ;)
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus."

Sure. But in that case, they had damned well better be called Venusians, and not Elves, Undead, or anything else.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

possibly you have incorrectly set his movement costs for an impassible terrain to something other than 99 (such as zero)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Qes

Post by Qes »

Sapient wrote:possibly you have incorrectly set his movement costs for an impassible terrain to something other than 99 (such as zero)
It acted up funny in 1.5.11 too, and it's the same problem.

So, since the switch to .12 involved that, but it's futzed up prior to that change i dont think that is it.

I did look at some of the code, but it wasnt blatently obvious to me why it was doing that. Then i gave up

Edit/add: Then i tried again.

Code: Select all

[event]
        name=start
        [unit]
            type=Naga Fighter
            side=6
            x=1
            y=9
            gender=female
            id=Spy
            name= _ "Spy"
            canrecruit=yes
            overlays=terrain/cave/wall-rough3.png
            [status]
                stone=on
                hides=yes
            [/status]
        [/unit]
    [/event]
I found this. I looked up the wml and saw that stone needs to be "yes" and so i changed it.

Code: Select all

[event]
        name=start
        [unit]
            type=Naga Fighter
            side=6
            x=1
            y=9
            gender=female
            id=Spy
            name= _ "Spy"
            canrecruit=yes
            overlays=terrain/cave/wall-rough3.png
            [status]
                stone=yes
                hides=yes
            [/status]
        [/unit]
    [/event]
But the spy still roams around on the first turn, and you can see it. The overlay works - it looks like roving cavewall. But the stone and hide clearly do not (since it's mobile and I can see it)

Is there something wrong with the "status" syntax?
-Qes
Yes I use windows.
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

I've posted a fixed version on the new Add-On server.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention Qes.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Mythological
Inactive Developer

Re: Temples of the nagas - version 1.2 update

Post by Mythological »

Hello, friends and wesnoth players.

The good old Temples of the Nagas scenario has been updated and made available for the both branches of wesnoth. Both new versions (TotN 1.2 for wesnoth 1.6 and TotN 1.2.1 for wesntoh 1.8beta) have been uploaded on the respective add-on servers.

This is a pure maintenance update; it contains no gameplay changes - the map, the enemy waves and all the rest of the map settings are the same as they used to be. The only changes made are of bugfixing and aesthetic nature. The changelog wrote:
9.3.2010 - version 1.2 for Battle for Wesnoth 1.6 and version 1.2.1 for Battle for Wesnoth 1.8 - fixed the bug with the hidden naga not been properly petrified, made a workaround for the terrain mask not being applied properly around the edges of the map, an update of the custom music playlist of the scenario, added a textdomain for translation of the add-on, fixed some broken paths and missing images, some grammar fixes, made floating labels translatable, added some needed ignore and version files, automatic changes done by wmllint and wmlindent runs and done the porting of Temples of the Nagas to BfW 1.8 as version 1.2.1.
If you can't use or don't want to use the add-on server you can download the add-on at the wesnoth-umc-dev page on sourceforge:

Temples of the Nagas version 1.2 for Battle for Wesnoth 1.6 (download, decompress and drop the folder into ~wesnoth/userdata/data/campaigns folder)
Temples of the Nagas version 1.2.1 for Battle for Wesnoth 1.8 (download, decompress and drop the folder into ~wesnoth/userdata/data/add-ons folder)

I hope you'll continue to enjoy playing Temples of the Nagas as much as jb and me enjoyed developing it over the years.
Theoretically, love is great
but it is a little bit different in practice.

Riblja Čorba - "I'll break your wings, aeroplane"
Never say never
Evropi

Post by Evropi »

Thread... revive!

Is it possible to get this listen in the add-ons directory again? Please? Pretty please with a cherry on top?
I am the maintainer of Temples of the nagas, the greatest 4-player co-op survival scenario in the universe!
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

I will look into updating it.

For now, the 1.8 version works just fine in 1.10. Just move the old file into your add-ons folder and restart wesnoth.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Qes

Post by Qes »

Oh Wesnoth. It's been so long. I remember nothing of how to help, but my soul returns me here, and my first desire is to play Temple of the Nagas.

Hi All.

Also - This works on the newest .10? Excellent. :)

To make this post on topic: Thank you for this.
Yes I use windows.
Mythological
Inactive Developer

Post by Mythological »

Hello my friends.
I'm back for one short last breath in wesnoth.
And guess what - I find it hard to believe this topic is being discussed upon after all the years.
I feel nostalgia like I haven't felt in many past years.
But I am happy to see you all.
Theoretically, love is great
but it is a little bit different in practice.

Riblja Čorba - "I'll break your wings, aeroplane"
Never say never
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Yay, Mythological. ^_^
Have fun, my friend ;-)

And do let us know what you've been up to.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Evropi

Temples of the nagas - version 1.25 (NEW MAINTAINER!)

Post by Evropi »

Version 1.25 ("Back from the dead")

I was playing this all-time classic with my clan after I removed some obsolete code. I decided to message jb and see what could be done for this to be maintained! So I became the maintainer and published my version to the 1.10 add-on repository! :D

List of initial changes:
  • Grammar and spelling cleaned up extensively throughout the scenario.
  • Changed the [removeitem] tags to [remove_item] so you don't get a WML error.
  • Lowercased "nagas" to fit in with the rest of Wesnoth lore.
  • New description for the add-on manager.
Tested in 1.10.4. I plan to do some balance changes. We'll be playing more with my clan (which, FYI, is from another TBS) and seeing what could be done. I'll also see if I can change any tiles so everything blends in a bit more. I don't want to change the core gameplay which is tried and proven. I was actually sent a list of possible improvements I could make by master jb :eng:, all of which I plan to implement.

Thanks in advance for playing, and let me know of what you think of it. Also, I proclaim this add-on to be officially considered UNSTABLE! :twisted:

You can get version 1.25 from the Wesnoth 1.10 add-ons browser.
I am the maintainer of Temples of the nagas, the greatest 4-player co-op survival scenario in the universe!
nuorc
Forum Regular

Re: Temples of the nagas -version 1.25 (NEW MAINTAINER!)

Post by nuorc »

Great map ! Good you're maintaining it! :D

Two things:

I think the fake shop/fake move to select duration is awkward and unnecessary; couldn't the menu just pop up?

When I killed the last available enemy on turn 27 I didn't get the 6th wave om turn 28, replay attached.
Disclaimer: I added the beta of Dugi's defensive retaliation code to the map, so the replay will most likely show Oos errors.
Spoiler:
Attachments
Temples_of_the_nagas_replay-1stl.gz
sloppy 1st time with lots of interruptions...
(109.21 KiB) Downloaded 677 times
I have a cunning plan.
Evropi

Post by Evropi »

Thanks--I'll add the code and test it and look at it over the weekend and then edit this post. I'm skeptical of code you can just "drop in" but this seems pretty good, and I'll at least test it. Thank you very much for the upload of the replay as well. Both will be checked.

Also, we don't want to make the scenario too difficult so advancing the AI's capabilities may be a little inappropriate. But all that will be tested over the weekend so hold on to your horses till then. :D

Edit:
Was around a friend's over the weekend, had a really good time... but it wasn't something I planned for. Very sorry to everyone, won't happen again! :oops: Updates on the way for TOTN, BTW.
Last edited by Evropi on September 30th, 2012, 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

If you make the "picking" of items optional, it will be much convenient.