Combatting anti-social behavior on the mp serv

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

Number 2 is good. You can monitor for rude people, and stops people from "stealing" nicknames, which some complain of. The earlier suggestion of registering through the forums en masse is great way to facilitate this (prevents "name"-rush).
Take a breath.
PingPangQui

Post by PingPangQui »

Damn, I hope that the whole thing will never be implemented.

A free mp server for free Wesnothians!
The Clan Antagonist.

"Larry the Cow was a bit frustrated at the current state of Linux distributions (...) until he tried Gentoo Linux" - Free Software for free people.
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

PingPangQui wrote:Damn, I hope that the whole thing will never be implemented.

Hm...

Many support #2 because it will give players options -- free for those who want to play registered and free to play unregistered; so I don't see the point of your rant...
:?
Take a breath.
OzorMox

Post by OzorMox »

Number 2 would only be to stop people's names from being taken by others and to stop people imitating other people. If you didn't want to register, you could continue to play exactly how you can now.

I suppose the other ideas such as karma (I don't like that at all) or only allowing registered players to play in your games (undecided) could be a bit restrictive.

From what I've seen, the developers are extremely good at only adding what will really improve the game. Any word from them on this or maybe the plan is to leave it how it is at the moment?
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

anakayub wrote:

Hm...

Many support #2 because it will give players options -- free for those who want to play registered and free to play unregistered; so I don't see the point of your rant...
:?
the reason is because if they have registered nicknames, you might not be able to play on the MP server as your name. one person would have like 200 nicknames, leaving others with nothing. and what if there is someone using your nickname in a different time zone? conflict.
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

No one is going to have 200 nicknames you are just being silly. As for names already being taken, too bad, be more original.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
deoxy

Post by deoxy »

I tried to read all the way through, but I just don't have time... got to page 5.

I would support registration (or whatever nice name you want) of nicknames. I would also support that being optional. (Linking Nickname to the forums is a great idea; I was going to suggest it myself. Unfortunately, the logistics of it are probably pretty bad, as these forums appear to be off-the-shelf, third-party software.)

Beyond that... eh, start there, and see if anyone really feels the need for anything more after a few months.

But then, I'm a noob... what are the mods/devs planning at this point? Is anything officially planned?
Insert nifty witticism here... if only I had one.
OzorMox

Post by OzorMox »

Linking Nickname to the forums is a great idea; I was going to suggest it myself. Unfortunately, the logistics of it are probably pretty bad, as these forums appear to be off-the-shelf, third-party software.
I just checked what forum software BZFlag is running, which combines forum registration with in-game registration, and it is phpBB the same as these forums, which is open source and under the GPL. So it's probably doable, but it would depend on how much work it would be for the benefit of having a central registration system. I guess if it isn't worth it, then an IRC-like nickname registration system via the chat line would be sufficient. But I'm just speculating...
Beyond that... eh, start there, and see if anyone really feels the need for anything more after a few months.

But then, I'm a noob... what are the mods/devs planning at this point? Is anything officially planned?
I concur on both of those.
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

Becephalus wrote:No one is going to have 200 nicknames you are just being silly. As for names already being taken, too bad, be more original.
Why not take a month or two to see how this will work on the server? We'll see how many nicknames will be registered by one person... And for the original part, what if you were being original, someone else(poser) takes it from you?
bert1

Post by bert1 »

DEATH_is_undead wrote:
Becephalus wrote:No one is going to have 200 nicknames you are just being silly. As for names already being taken, too bad, be more original.
Why not take a month or two to see how this will work on the server? We'll see how many nicknames will be registered by one person... And for the original part, what if you were being original, someone else(poser) takes it from you?
The point of registering a nickname is so people can't take it from you. If you use a nickname you like without registering it, and then someone else registers it, then it's your own fault for not registering it first. Even then it's not hard to think of a new one. This isn't hotmail, in which pretty much every readable combination of letters is already taken.
PingPangQui

Post by PingPangQui »

bert1 wrote:The point of registering a nickname is so people can't take it from you.
No, the point of not being able registering nicknames is that you are actually able to use the name you want.

Just have a look at the forum where are lots of users having registered for a couple of posts and then simply block names.

Like "pingpong" for instance (the username i use on mp besides solaris). When I intended to register with this name - bang username already taken. Thats fine if this person would actually post something, but he/she hasn't, for nearly two years now (In fact he/she made only posted for a period of about 3 days).

So now lets image we can register (actually have to in order to keep a certain username) starting from some day X. It could well be that some people who have kept a certain name for quite a while can't be there to register, but some other might do using your preferred names, which is OK so far but becomes really annoying when people play like three games and never show up on the server again.
The Clan Antagonist.

"Larry the Cow was a bit frustrated at the current state of Linux distributions (...) until he tried Gentoo Linux" - Free Software for free people.
deoxy

Post by deoxy »

PingPangQui wrote:
bert1 wrote:The point of registering a nickname is so people can't take it from you.
No, the point of not being able registering nicknames is that you are actually able to use the name you want.
No, the POINT of having any kind of registration is so that YOU are YOU - that is, so that other people can't impersonate you and so that when "BOB123" is on, it's always the same person. What name you actually get is essentially irrelevant, as long as it's unique and recognizable. (Getting a name you like is a nice thing, but not necessary to make the system work.)

If you want to let people "use the name [they] want", that would be (basically) the OPPOSITE of registration - multiple people could use the same name. That's the system we have now.

(If someone took the name you want... uh, tough - that's the point of the system. That said, if someone hasn't been on in a certain amount of time, purges would certainly be possible.)
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

I see nothing in this thread or in the server today that invalidates anything I've have said in this thread or other threads about server registration. There is no real pressing need at this time for it. Actually if anything its pretty well stayed the same over the time of this thread, refuting claims that there is an epidemic of bad behavior. I still can count the number of times impersonation occurred on two hands in over two years. And I still think the lobby is pretty good all things considered.

At the same time I also believe that putting more security measures up only encourages people to break them. If someone wants to code something we will look at it and discuss it, but it does not mean we will automatically add it in.
PingPangQui

Post by PingPangQui »

deoxy wrote:What name you actually get is essentially irrelevant, as long as it's unique and recognizable.
Yeah, lets give every registrant an number starting with 1 - there is actually no need for user names.
deoxy wrote:If you want to let people "use the name [they] want", that would be (basically) the OPPOSITE of registration - multiple people could use the same name. That's the system we have now.
And thats exactly how it should continue to be.

P.S.: I can only agree with Noy.
The Clan Antagonist.

deoxy

Post by deoxy »

PingPangQui wrote:
deoxy wrote:What name you actually get is essentially irrelevant, as long as it's unique and recognizable.
Yeah, lets give every registrant an number starting with 1 - there is actually no need for user names.
The only "need" for anything else is that humans do better with useful and easily remembered names than they do with numbers... in most cases, behind the scenes (on the database), starting with 1 and just assigning numbers is exactly what happens.
PingPangQui wrote:
deoxy wrote:If you want to let people "use the name [they] want", that would be (basically) the OPPOSITE of registration - multiple people could use the same name. That's the system we have now.
And thats exactly how it should continue to be.
Which is fine (I don't have enough experience yet to have an opinion worthy of consideration here) - I was just pointing out that you had the "point" of registration exactly backwards.

You are just against registration at all - since I have hardly played MP at all yet, I wouldn't really know how necessary it is, but I will point out that these forums require registration, as do almost all others, and it hasn't really caused any problems, has it? Registration in and of itself is mostly helpful, since it prevents people from even ACCIDENTALLY using the same moniker (as has been mentioned in this post, that has already happened to people - no malicious intent required).

I direct your attention to Monty Python... "Let's just call him Bruce." Having unique identifiers is a good thing.