The Labyrinth Of Champions - A Multiplayer RPG

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Nova

Post by Nova »

Fun map. Due to some less-than-stellar teamwork, we ended up having to reload a couple of times to make it all the way through.

Which led to the following error: after one character was poisoned in the hall-of-poison-darts, every game loaded after that point would begin with every character poisoned. So, we'd fritter away a few turns sharing villages and trying to heal; then we'd save, go around a corner, get slaughtered, reload, and spend another ten turns trying to cure everyone.
"Never underestimate the power of the fish rush." "I don't think nagas are fish." "Fish Rush!"
---
Flight to Freedom: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... &start=690
Co-Author, Maintainer
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

That does sound fun. Do you know what version it was?
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

It's nice to see some improvements made... My favorite game I had before the "era" change was making my leader a Necromancer (dark sorcerer in 1.0.2 ... ) (and yes, I used age of heroes, but cheated using sauron's less luck... It gave the unit like 150hp and a 4-10 plague melee attack... which I easily upgraded to get a 20-10 melee attack :)) I also made the peasants my enemies :) i had around 50 walking corpses, and i just ganged up on the lich with them... IT'S SO FUN TO KILL LORD HULLON, AND GET HIS CORPSE!!!
Proud creator of 4p- Underworld. Fascinated by Multiplayer design and balance.
I am the lone revenant of the n3t clan.
Nova

Post by Nova »

I was playing version 1.9.

Also, I had to move the map file out of the "map" directory (into the "The_Labyrinth_of_Champions" folder) before Wesnoth would recognize it properly. Is that normal?
"Never underestimate the power of the fish rush." "I don't think nagas are fish." "Fish Rush!"
---
Co-Author, Maintainer
Artemis_Reborn

Post by Artemis_Reborn »

First of all, I love this scenario- it's so much fun to play :)

But, I've noticed one thing that is annoying. Several times during one full game, when some of the AI groups have been killed of, my AI allies will randomly start to move towards the North-West cave, ignoring any current AI leaders that still are alive.
I don't see any reason for them to do so- there are still enemies around, and there's nothing for them to get or kill in the NW cave, but they do it anyway.

I was wondering if someone could explain this or help correct this. Thanks.
And here in the night,
as I feel the inferno.
And stare in the dark,
thinking what is eternal.

The man or the moment,
the act, or the reason?
These thoughts fill my head
as I contemplate treason.
Nova

Post by Nova »

AI allies? Yours followed you?

My allies always sat in the first village and took forever to move zero spaces a turn. I was so glad when a troll escaped and killed them all.
---
Co-Author, Maintainer
CIB
Code Contributor

Post by CIB »

I would never play that with AIs =D
Artemis_Reborn

Post by Artemis_Reborn »

Heh I never really thought about playing all the other factions on my team- I should try that. But no, that wasn't what happened.

Independt of me, regardless of what I would be doing, they would simply start migrating (leader and lesser units) towards the NW cave. It's annoying and bad because it deprives you of allies for a brief while.

I'll try it with all the good guys controlled by me. See how it plays out- should be fun.
And here in the night,
as I feel the inferno.
And stare in the dark,
thinking what is eternal.

The man or the moment,
the act, or the reason?
These thoughts fill my head
as I contemplate treason.
CIB
Code Contributor

Post by CIB »

Why not play it with others? Chatting and playing RPG is fun =)
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Also, I had to move the map file out of the "map" directory (into the "The_Labyrinth_of_Champions" folder) before Wesnoth would recognize it properly. Is that normal?
That is not normal. It shouldn't happen since the .cfg file specifies:
map_data="{~/campaigns/The_Labyrinth_Of_Champions/Map/The_Labyrinth_Of_Champions_Map}"
Has this happened to anyone else?

All this talk of moving allies is confusing me actually. Sides 1-5 are meant to be controlled by human players. Sides 6 and 7 are controlled by the AI. This is stated in the map description, so maybe people aren't using map settings. Side 6 is set to ai_algorithm=idle_ai so it shouldn't do anything at all.

Although some of you seem to be having fun messing up the game, I have decided to hide the side details for the AI sides to avoid confusion. And owning Lord Hullon's corpse is just wrong!

Another thing: I have seen some people playing this without fog or shroud, which is just silly. But the host can always overide the map settings it seems. So that is still up to you.

I have put up a new version 1.9.1. The poison corridoor bug is (hopefully) fixed as well.

Glad you enjoyed playing it by the way, and thanks for the feedback...
My current projects:
Imp

Post by Imp »

A really annoying feature of playing with other people, other than the potential for them to make poor decisions that disadvantage the team, is that labels can be cleared.

Perhaps RPGs should use a labelling system where everything is relabelled every turn.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Those of you that have already downloaded Labyrinth of Champions for Wesnoth 1.3 will have to get it again. It was broken due to me forgetting to update the terrain letters.

The new version is 1.9.3

The Fall of Trent was also broken. But that is fixed too.

p.s. labels are now reset every turn.
My current projects:
Vagelis

Post by Vagelis »

I was playing a day with my brother and others and we were where the ogres must be released to continue.I had a White Mage.I was ready to die when I retreated to the area which teleports you back (the one with the mountains) and I saved me :lol: .That map was always fun.GJ on it!
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

The game stores don't seem to recognize my gold in this for 1.3.8.
suokko
Inactive Developer

Post by suokko »

[store_side] is used wrong way in Champions. It stores whole side object in gold variable. It should use gold.gold for side's current money.

Also you could check scenario settings. At least in fall of trent you have default experience 70 % when you recommend 80 %. Also random_start_time=no could be something you want.