The Fall Of Trent - A Multiplayer RPG

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pladio

Re: The Fall Of Trent - A Multiplayer RPG

Post by Pladio »

Hello Bob,

I just finished playing the Fall of Trent. I think that once you get out of Trent the game gets quite easy if you go to that cave in the south.

It was a lot of fun to play and it took me several hours to complete.
I just spotted one bug.
In the Armoury in the fortress of Falcon with his son, there's the slingshot I think or one of the items that didn't have any price and so I got it for free and there was a WML warning.
Not a big bug, but it's there.

Thanks for the fun. I hope you make a follow up for it :)

Good story ...
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

The Fall Of Trent has been updated to work on Wesnoth 1.10.

I've randomised a few parts, such as orc placement and Shylanis' location. I've also redrawn lots of the terrain and changed most of the wild monsters (the scorpions date back to the days when mainline critters were scarce). The end battle should be a lot harder too.

The scenario can be played with or without Bob's RPG Era. If you use the latter, there are some shops and items dotted about.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Heyub_CS

Post by Heyub_CS »

Thanks Bob! Can't wait to see the end battle!
Heyub, C.S.
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Glad to see Fall of Trent ported again. Long shall Trent remain independent!

Sadly, found a nasty bug when using Bob's RPG era. The xp on the pre-placed units (both teal and orc) is different for each player, causing massive OOS. It "seems" to be fine when using default era.

Also, I can confirm clubfoot indeed does not subtract -1 move.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Just uploaded a new version of Trent, 2.8.1. The OOS is fixed and Shylanis should now be properly hidden. No other known bugs.
My current projects:
Xelthor

Post by Xelthor »

The fall of trent is amazing, like all of your other work.
Thank you!
Do you have any plans for releasing part 2?
And wil you be porting any of your other stuff to 1.10.x, besides the ones already there?
"An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind"
--Gandhi
"If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?"
--Thomas Jefferson
taptap

Post by taptap »

Thank you for this. I just played this solo today. Contrary to dialog I found hanging around in Trent a little both viable (with level up heal helping along) and easier than to run at once, since it is hard to protect with only 5 units in total and enemies on both sides, basically this is the only way I found to survive the start with all 5 units. I played without conjurer (which makes some difference to difficulty I believe). Looked for but did not find the hermit. The five former peasants did most of the heavy lifting in the end and they were much more effective than most of the heroes by that time, two of the dwarves made it to L3 as well. The start was particularly hard. I enjoyed luring out the dragon into the daylight with my trapper (and I wish I had a conjurer to make use of the dragon tail and all the other items I had collected). (Clubfoot walks now. Gives -1.)
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
mxb2001

Post by mxb2001 »

Tried this a dozen times but no luck. Are you only supposed to get maybe 1 general out of the city? I quit and started anew whenever I lost one of them. Perhaps I misunderstood the intent? Yes I am aware defeat is death of all not just 1 but I anticipate that later on the scen will be unwinnable without all 5. Is that my mistake? Can you win with just 1 or maybe 2 survivors? Most scens get harder as you go on, is this one reversed?
01/01/01
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Hey, mxb2001. It's a long time since I've played it, so my memory of the best tactics are vague. However, I have seen many teams get all leaders south before the orcs choke off the city. It's important to not get bogged down in fighting and striking out due south (avoiding the path) was always the best bet, maybe using a few strong characters to protect the others while they make their escape. You can probably afford a loss if you don't mind the rest being a bit harder. The start is intentionally quite difficult, but it is also meant to follow the narrative of fleeing for your life - rather than making a stand (though some players claim to have managed to see off the whole invasion, which is crazy).
My current projects:
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

It's possible that the new AI behavior in 1.14 has upped the difficulty. I noticed some other 'classic' scenarios don't play like they used to.

Mayhaps I will revisit and see how she holds up.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
Radish

Post by Radish »

I tried the scenario with with some friends (Wesnoth Version 1.14) multiple times and we did not manage to escape fast enough. Usually, when the first night arrives the Orcish Ruler with is leadership bonus kills at least one or to of the players.

So fare we have tried to follow the narrative's suggestion to follow the path.
We also want to try the following:
  • Buy run stances for dwarfs
  • Go through the woods west of the path
I will report back when we tried these options.

We are also open to try new unit placements. I have looked at the _main.cfg. It does not seem too difficult to move the units around a little bit. If you have any suggestion what we should try, let us know. 2 things I could think of:
  • Delay the Orcish Ruler to the second wave (at turn 8 )
  • Place the Orcish Ruler further to the east so you have time to run until he arrives at the castle
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote: March 14th, 2019, 9:32 pm Hey, mxb2001. It's a long time since I've played it, so my memory of the best tactics are vague. However, I have seen many teams get all leaders south before the orcs choke off the city. It's important to not get bogged down in fighting and striking out due south (avoiding the path) was always the best bet, maybe using a few strong characters to protect the others while they make their escape. You can probably afford a loss if you don't mind the rest being a bit harder. The start is intentionally quite difficult, but it is also meant to follow the narrative of fleeing for your life - rather than making a stand (though some players claim to have managed to see off the whole invasion, which is crazy).
I killed all the Orcs. It is the only way to survive. If you run they hunt you down, surround you and slaughter you like dogs. You gotta kill them first. I used the Archaic Era's primeval faction to do it. Nice all regenerating 6 mp hard hitters. Still several came close to death but luck was with me.

Trent has not fallen which made Lord Falcon's dialogue a tad amusing. There's still a longbowman and a few peasants holding it. It's odd how often a bowman levels up.

After killing most of the initial orc attackers I ran along road and whenever the next wave of orcs caught up I turned and slaughtered them as they arrived. Eventually there were no more orcs. All the generals got to level 3.

Saved and taking a break before part 2. Lucky that my leaders are all chaotic... and fearless. Perfect. :)
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

I killed all the Orcs. It is the only way to survive.
While I appreciate your certitude, I promise you that is not the only way to survive.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

For old times' sake I tried running my ancient copy of Wesnoth version 1.4.7 along with The Fall Of Trent version 2.6.1. It was definitely easier than the current version - it was possible to basically just walk out of Trent and take a leisurely stroll down the path to the peasants' village. I'm not sure exactly what the differences are between the two versions, but I suspect that Bob_The_Mighty makes it slightly more difficult with each new Wesnoth release. :twisted:
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

jb wrote: February 10th, 2021, 7:08 am
I killed all the Orcs. It is the only way to survive.
While I appreciate your certitude, I promise you that is not the only way to survive.
<grin> For me... it is. I'm not one of the super players (although I dare call myself competent now) so any kind of slippery, sneaky way to get out of Trent other than brute force is beyond my feeble mind.

Someday, perhaps I will figure out how it is done "correctly". But now I'm satisfied at having done it.