The Fall Of Trent - A Multiplayer RPG

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

f

bug

Post by f »

for the 5th player the range is set to "melee" instead of "ranged" in the "My aim is often lacking" event.

this is a very nice map.
thank you
f
TruePurple

Post by TruePurple »

I don't think its always been like this but recently some of the "bodies" around trent on the map are actually bright pink fuzzy blobs that look little like bodies. Others have seen them like I do. At least one said he saw just regular bodies.

Also for some reason with extended RPG you start out with just level 1's. I understand the map is designed for level 2's and it is very hard to survive with just level 1's in that first part.
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

TruePurple wrote:Also for some reason with extended RPG you start out with just level 1's. I understand the map is designed for level 2's and it is very hard to survive with just level 1's in that first part.
That's the Extended RPG Era's fault - it's designed for other RPGs, actually. Try the regular Extended Era instead, it will give you less, but at least lvl2-units to choose from.
TruePurple

Post by TruePurple »

As I remember, regular extended (as well as number of the other regulars) means you can only pick loyalist. As well it means leadership isnt as useful.
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

TruePurple wrote:As I remember, regular extended (as well as number of the other regulars) means you can only pick loyalist. As well it means leadership isnt as useful.
Heh? Oh well... You'll have to cope with it then. :P
Bob_The_Mighty

Re: The Fall Of Trent - a multiplayer RPG

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

I have updated this scenario for 1.6. Nothing else has changed, except for the possible introduction of a few bugs. Let me know if you find any.

The Fall of Trent was the first scenario I ever made, so it's pretty straight forward compared to some of my other stuff. Not that it suffers because of this - the story is nice, and I still like the characters. Looking through it again made me recall many fun adventures. Here's to more!
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Wajimba

Re: The Fall Of Trent - A Multiplayer RPG

Post by Wajimba »

So, I got the peasants, and the hermit (slightly weak story on her joining you (constructive criticism)), but when I got to the southern city, they are not thrown in prison as well. They just stay where they are and I can still control them. They even talked in the dialog about the dragon, which doesn't make sense because the sound would have to go through a cave- or be telepathic or something. Anyway, that's all I've got so far. Great one again Bob! :D
Araja

Post by Araja »

It's good fun, me and my ever-mentioned RPG friend have a save of it in the dungeons.

Playing in default seems to be nigh impossible, we can complete it on Era of Magic and are doing well on Mercenaries Era, but you really seem to need slightly unbalanced characters or you'll get pasted.
Wajimba

Post by Wajimba »

Hey Bob-
Found some small typos:
betrayl -> betrayal
there is woodland and hills -> there are woodlands and hills

Although the second one is up for debate- it's a little fuzzy in my mind what it should really be. I just snagged on it when I was reading it.
daniel.santos

Post by daniel.santos »

Currently, The Fall of Trent doesn't work with 1.4.7 (compiled from sources tarball), I get the same problems Wajimba posted, in addition to:
  • All the peasant death dialogs are played on the 1st round.
  • Most NPC dialogs are not played, only the player character dialogs (weird).
  • When the peasants & hermit don't go into the dungeon with me when arrested, I manually moved them them by editing their location in my saved game file.
  • When I started eaves dropping on Lady Falcon, all of my units disappeared and clicking "End Move" said I was defeated.
I wanted to play on 1.4.x because the RPG era doesn't work on 1.5 or 1.6. Thus, I hope they release 1.4.8 (with whatever changes are in the repository) so that these work again, or you update them so they work with the latest bugs in the engine.

What if you updated the sacred circle so that all units could visit it once (instead of one unit per side)? So replace each of these (for each side):

Code: Select all

[event]
name=moveto
[filter]
	x,y=57,88
	side=1
	[/filter]
{FOT_SACRED_CIRCLE}
[/event]
With a single block like this:

Code: Select all

[event]
    first_time_only="no"
    name="moveto"
    [filter]
        side="1,2,3,4,5"
        x="57"
        y="88"
    [/filter]
    [set_variable]
        add="1"
        name="unit.variables.visited_sc"
    [/set_variable]
    [unstore_unit]
        variable="unit"
    [/unstore_unit]
    [if]
        [variable]
            less_than="2"
            name="unit.variables.visited_sc"
        [/variable]
        [then]
            {FOT_SACRED_CIRCLE}
        [/then]
    [/if]
[/event]
So this would let you run Shylanis and your peasants through to get them upgrades as well -- and one was obsessive enough, anybody else that you recruit later, but I don't think you would get them back in time for the actual battle. =) After that, you can add the legendary Peanut Butter Wompus that you have to fight before you can kill the king.

I suggest some type of reward for bringing Shylanis to the place where she gets her fungi (I never actually did that in-game, but I saw it in the code). Maybe the reward can be slightly redeeming to her clueless nature, taking the party aback with surprise.

I hope you can come out with more stuff because this was fun as hell! =) I've gone through The Fall of Trent at least twice now (using Bob's RPG era) and it's addictive as hell. I found that I didn't want it to come to an end! Oh yea, and I thought it was funny the way the hermit joins them (from The Hermitage House no doubt =)

So now a few proposals for part 2 (if you ever get to that, hopefully so =):
Spoiler:
darklsn

Post by darklsn »

I thought that brotherhood of light was the BEST! rpg Ive ever played!!! it was sooooo fun! I have one question though, how did you get the people to talk to eachother? thanks if you respond!
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Another update: 2.6.3

- Some terrain changes
- Corrected the typos spotted by Wajimba
- Fixed the teleport bug (now all your units go to the dungeon)
- One or two minor code tweaks
My current projects:
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Fall of Trent has been updated again. The new version is: 2.6.5. The only difference is, if you play it with Bob's RPG Era, you come across some shops.
My current projects:
Rocier

Post by Rocier »

any way you could modify it to make it beatable? or at least possible to get past turn 5? :augh:
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

It is. Just head to the west part of the city, cross the moat, and head through the forest by moving ONLY along the West border of the map (keep you five heroes in a single line). This way, if you're fast enough, you avoid being seen by most enemies and can reach the cave to the south without trouble. There your main problem is a level 2 Ogre. After that just stay in the cave until any pursuers arrive and you kill them all. After that play as you want.

Having characters that move quickly through forests (such as elves) helps a lot with the above strategy.

If you follow the advice you are given and actually take the road - good luck trying to survive without losing any heroes (especially if you have any dwarves in the group, since they are slow).
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...