The Fall Of Trent - A Multiplayer RPG

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Re: The Fall Of Trent - A Multiplayer RPG

Post by Atreides »

gnombat wrote: February 10th, 2021, 9:50 pm For old times' sake I tried running my ancient copy of Wesnoth version 1.4.7 along with The Fall Of Trent version 2.6.1. It was definitely easier than the current version - it was possible to basically just walk out of Trent and take a leisurely stroll down the path to the peasants' village. I'm not sure exactly what the differences are between the two versions, but I suspect that Bob_The_Mighty makes it slightly more difficult with each new Wesnoth release. :twisted:
I think you may be on to something there. The "advice" given in the dialogue seems horribly outdated as people started to avoid the road and go straight south until Bob put in some HUGE level 2 trolls to block that path. The road is barely reachable thanks to that level 2 Ruler that keeps blocking the escape. Basically you either kill him (losing a char or 2 in general as he is not alone) or you die.

All in all the initial orc assault is so deadly that your only choice is to use the castle and moat plus the villages to defend Trent! If you leave you're out in the open with NO healing (you can have a healer char sure but it won't survive), NO cover and you are SURROUNDED. Inside Trent you also have all those allies (weak, half dead, yes but I've seen a bowman level up, and with some aid they can be a good force) too.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

gnombat wrote: February 10th, 2021, 9:50 pm For old times' sake I tried running my ancient copy of Wesnoth version 1.4.7 along with The Fall Of Trent version 2.6.1. It was definitely easier than the current version - it was possible to basically just walk out of Trent and take a leisurely stroll down the path to the peasants' village. I'm not sure exactly what the differences are between the two versions, but I suspect that Bob_The_Mighty makes it slightly more difficult with each new Wesnoth release. :twisted:
Haha, yeah, that's probably true. I remember putting a load more orcs in the woods to the east of Trent to deter people from trying to defend the city. People still said it was possible, so I added more. So the recent discussion here is only going to result in more orcs! :D

I remember being able to escape the city most of the time (providing the team works well together). However, Wesnoth's AI has changed so much since the scenario was made it's hard to judge. I certainly don't remember putting big trolls to block the south path, that was often the best route. So yeah, the dialogue tips are most unhelpful in that regard. :lol: Sorry, I guess I need to give it another try somtime.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote: February 12th, 2021, 9:25 pm
Haha, yeah, that's probably true. I remember putting a load more orcs in the woods to the east of Trent to deter people from trying to defend the city. People still said it was possible, so I added more. So the recent discussion here is only going to result in more orcs! :D
Ohhhhh now I see how it is. :) And lil ol me wondering why oh why there's no easy level... No worries, I've figured out how to make my own easy level. There'll always be a Era with absurdly overpowered level 2's one can use to make it easier. And if not I can always make one... call it Bob's Beginner Era. For wimps like me. <grin> Let's see 10,000 hps should be enough... ;)
The Era I used was in fact labelled overpowered (oddly tests don't seem to support that - perhaps only the leaders are!) and I did not set out to kill 'em all I ran as soon as I could punch through and the thing is they track you all the way... you can't actually escape. I kept having to turn and fight the pursuers and eventually there were no more. I read the ai doesn't respect fog/shroud and knowing that it will head for your leader means they ignore Trent once you get out. I don't really see how one can actually escape. YOU MUST KILL THEM ALL TO MAKE THEM STOP. <shrug>
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Found a typo!
Spoiler:
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Code: Select all

20210701 02:31:12 error engine: Unknown next scenario 'Return_To_Trent'
20210701 02:31:12 error engine: Some of the possible next scenarios are missing, you might not be able to finish this campaign.

Please report the following missing scenario to the campaign’s author:
• Return_To_Trent

Once this is fixed, you will need to restart this scenario.
Does this mean I cannot play this as a standalone?
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

It means that advancing to the next scenario won't work.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Found something that could be improved:
Spoiler: