Nemaara's music

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

nemaara
Developer

Nemaara's music

Post by nemaara »

Hello everyone. I've made some music that I'm planning to release for my campaign, but before I do that, I'm going to put them here to see if anyone has any feedback. Right now, I'm planning to release 2 new tracks, but this may change in the future depending on interest/if someone convinces me to do more.

Important: these tracks are not for mainline, since I would like to release them with the CC BY-NC license. This may also change in the future, but that is the way it stands right now.

Anyway, here they are:

https://soundcloud.com/maarane/waves

and

https://soundcloud.com/maarane/wind3
Samonella

Re: Nemaara's music

Post by Samonella »

Wow, those sound great! The one thing I find really lacking is some of the sound fonts. Especially the higher-pitched instruments sound buzzy and synthetic. I have no idea where to find better ones, but in case you haven't seen this topic, I bet someone from Scoring Central could help with that.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

I think these are nice for a wesnoth campaign music, I think you should put them in.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Samonella wrote:Wow, those sound great! The one thing I find really lacking is some of the sound fonts. Especially the higher-pitched instruments sound buzzy and synthetic. I have no idea where to find better ones, but in case you haven't seen this topic, I bet someone from Scoring Central could help with that.
I'll see what I can do. Just dled a sound pack, so let's see if it turns out better than the one I currently have.

Edit: I can't seem to find any sound packs better than the one I have (at least none that actually work), so unfortunately I'm stuck with these sound fonts. The few that I tried actually came out worse than what I have currently. To be honest, though, I actually rather like the flute and harp sounds that I have already, but maybe others will disagree?

Part of the issue is that I had to convert my files to .ogg tracks first, then downsample slightly because they were too huge and seemed to have a tiny bit of trouble playing in game. I have to leave them as ogg's (otherwise they will be 60 MB wav files), but I can not downsample as much, and hopefully that will be better.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

I orchestrated (somewhat) a random piano track of mine, and thought it might work as an ambient piece for Wesnoth along with the other two above. I've made 2 versions of this piece that will be available once I release the update to my campaign. You can listen to them here:

https://soundcloud.com/maarane/grey-skies-v1

and

https://soundcloud.com/maarane/grey-skies-v2

(I'm aware that the middle section to the first track is fairly different than the outer 2 sections, which is precisely why the second track came about.)
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

I like grey-skies-v2 better.

I am not a composer, so I can only write amateurish impressions, but please listen. This song receives a feeling of tragedy and hope mixing. It is tragic but it feels refreshing. I imagined the scenario where this song is ringing. It's wonderfully dramatic.
Creator of "Mountain Witch" & "Castle of evil spirit"
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

IIIO_METAL wrote:I like grey-skies-v2 better.

I am not a composer, so I can only write amateurish impressions, but please listen. This song receives a feeling of tragedy and hope mixing. It is tragic but it feels refreshing. I imagined the scenario where this song is ringing. It's wonderfully dramatic.
I agree, I think the second one is a better ambient track. I actually am not using the first version, but I figure I might as well make it available in case someone wants it.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

These tracks are now available in the Genesis Resources add-on for anyone who wants to use them.
_Queen_

Post by _Queen_ »

They sound very nice~

You mentioned something about your campaign. Is it realesed or you are still working on it?
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

_Queen_ wrote:They sound very nice~

You mentioned something about your campaign. Is it realesed or you are still working on it?
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=43023

Here you go!
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

I'm considering releasing another track for my campaign, supposing the campaign gets enough support. If I do release it, it will likely become the campaign's "theme song", so to speak. Feedback is welcome. ^_^

ghype

Post by ghype »

hello there,

when I don't play wesnoth, I am a "professional" music producer and record/mixing engineer and work either for my own project or collaborate with other artists from Universal or Sony.
I like your movie scores, but I don't hear any mixing happening at all in your tracks. all tracks are centered.

I can help you make them sound well balanced/mixed/"professional".
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Thanks for the offer, but I'm actually converting most of the tracks to mono anyway to save space. :p

The one track I would probably try to mix better is "Wind", but right now I don't think I'm going to release it for use in Wesnoth. If I do though, I'll remember to ask you. ^_^
ghype

Post by ghype »

thats sad to hear. i was eager to mix some of your scores. but its ok.

keeping tracks in mono for saving space seems cruel to me ^^, its like "oh look , we gotta chop either ur left or right arm & leg because there aint enough space anywhere for you".

anyway, just hit me up.