What is the song name?

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fariabBR

What is the song name?

Post by fariabBR »

Hey guys, whats up,

I used to play The Battle for Wesnoth when I was younger, a few days ago I was with a song in my head. I was very hard to discover what song it was. Yesterday i finaly realize: it was a song from Wesnoth.I`ll be very greatfull if someone can help me find this song. The song was like a whistle. I don`t know which version were.

Thx =)

P.S: I'm 16 and my English is rusty . Sorry for all the gramatical erros and the poor vocabulary.
Bitron
Developer

Re: What is the song name?

Post by Bitron »

You could just click through the OST on Youtube. (:
fariabBR

Post by fariabBR »

Bitron wrote:You could just click through the OST on Youtube. (:
I can't find it
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

Do you know which version of wesnoth you played back then?
fariabBR

Post by fariabBR »

Bitron wrote:Do you know which version of wesnoth you played back then?
I have no idea :(
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

Maybe take a look at my uploaded old wesnoth tracks? if you can't find the track in the new tracks you will surely find it here.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF3cEl ... shelf_id=0

Alternatively, it might also be a track from some user made campaign, downloaded from the add ons server. Though in that case you would need to remember what campaign it was.
name

Post by name »

ElderofZion wrote:Maybe take a look at my uploaded old wesnoth tracks? if you can't find the track in the new tracks you will surely find it here.
Yeah, I kind of bet he is thinking of the old elves theme.

Damn, hearing those again makes me so miss factional music in wesnoth. As primitive as some of those were, each faction having its own mood really added another dimension. It even worked as a subliminal "how to play faction x" guide, as with the drake theme urging you to keep moving and pressing the attack.
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

Yeah, exactly, it is about the feel, even though the tracks were low quality. These are quite catchy. I still remember that weird ud theme.
fariabBR

Post by fariabBR »

ElderofZion wrote:Maybe take a look at my uploaded old wesnoth tracks? if you can't find the track in the new tracks you will surely find it here.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF3cEl ... shelf_id=0

Alternatively, it might also be a track from some user made campaign, downloaded from the add ons server. Though in that case you would need to remember what campaign it was.
OMG, it's the song i was looking for. =)

Thank you so much to take me back my childhood
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

You are welcome
name

Post by name »

ElderofZion wrote:Yeah, exactly, it is about the feel, even though the tracks were low quality. These are quite catchy. I still remember that weird ud theme.
I wonder why we never returned to factional music of any kind though?

There's about forty themes now and a number of them are stylistically different enough to represent different factions (and by their names were designed for exactly this purpose in several cases- "northerners", "knalgans_theme", "elvish_theme", "loyalists", etc.) So why not separate them in the default playlist so that only certain themes play for certain factions in multiplayer?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Cold Steel wrote:I wonder why we never returned to factional music of any kind though?

There's about forty themes now and a number of them are stylistically different enough to represent different factions (and by their names were designed for exactly this purpose in several cases- "northerners", "knalgans_theme", "elvish_theme", "loyalists", etc.) So why not separate them in the default playlist so that only certain themes play for certain factions in multiplayer?
Well, sure, I guess the playlist could be determined by the factions in play to some degree. But of course there would have to be several tracks per faction (maybe at least 5 or so).

Then again, I can also see the case for having all tracks on the default multiplayer playlist, because if you play for hours then you kind of want all the variety you can get. I doubt music in generic multiplayer matches plays much of a role as far as setting the mood in the first place, considering it's pretty much storyless symmetric chess. In any kind of story-oriented content the playlist should be hand-picked, but when you just play some Isar's and Weldyn Channel, is there really any point in restricting the playlist to a subset?
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

It has it's flaws. Depending on how long you need for a turn, you might switch every 30 seconds through the same three tracks never hearing an entire piece. Or, in case it plays only the soundtrack of the faction you chose, you would be forced to hear the same song over and over again. What if I don't like the theme of the ud, but like to play them?
name

Post by name »

zookeeper wrote: Well, sure, I guess the playlist could be determined by the factions in play to some degree. But of course there would have to be several tracks per faction (maybe at least 5 or so).
I think that is now feasible, with the number of tracks available.
zookeeper wrote: Then again, I can also see the case for having all tracks on the default multiplayer playlist, because if you play for hours then you kind of want all the variety you can get. I doubt music in generic multiplayer matches plays much of a role as far as setting the mood in the first place, considering it's pretty much storyless symmetric chess. In any kind of story-oriented content the playlist should be hand-picked, but when you just play some Isar's and Weldyn Channel, is there really any point in restricting the playlist to a subset?
These days most everyone online uses random faction selection, either so the enemy does not know what counters to recruit or for the sake of variety, as you said. So in practice, almost everyone would hear the entirety of the soundtrack and each faction would get a more distinctive feeling to it.

The soundtrack might slowly evolve to become more distinctive as well, as composers continue to work out how each faction should sound given its background story and play style, just as the sprite and portrait artists have done for the factions' magnificent visuals.
Bitron wrote: Or, in case it plays only the soundtrack of the faction you chose, you would be forced to hear the same song over and over again. What if I don't like the theme of the ud, but like to play them?
Yeah, I think it would have to be that way (play only the themes of the chosen faction, not the themes of whose turn it is). As zookeeper suggested, each faction would have several themes to keep it from getting stale.

If someone doesn't like a particular theme they can remove it from the faction's playlist just as they would from the default playlist at the moment.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Bitron wrote:It has it's flaws. Depending on how long you need for a turn, you might switch every 30 seconds through the same three tracks never hearing an entire piece.
I hope he didn't actually mean switching the current track on side turn start, because that was a really dreadful system. :augh: