Music for the Wesnoth-inspired roguelike game

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Shadow_Walker

Music for the Wesnoth-inspired roguelike game

Post by Shadow_Walker »

Hello All,

I am working on the Wesnoth-inspired roguelike game ( viewtopic.php?f=13&t=40803 ), and it is at the stage where game itself is pretty much complete but lacking music completely. Since my game is using graphics from Wesnoth, it makes sense to borrow music from Wesnoth also, but I wanted to ask for an advice first.

What would be the best choice:
a) grab some tracks directly from Wesnoth - easiest path, but likely will not be appreciated by hardcore Wesnoth players?
b) ask Wesnothian composers (e.g. I really like Doug Kaufman's masterpieces) privately to write something for the unknown game - unlikely to happen?
c) grab some music from public sites (demo tracks, open music) - high chance of collision with other projects?
d) something else?

Thanks in advance!
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Music for the Wesnoth-inspired roguelike game

Post by zookeeper »

If you want Wesnoth-style music without re-using classic Wesnoth tracks, the various UMC music packs should have plenty of suitable material too.
Shadow_Walker

Post by Shadow_Walker »

I see "UMC Music Book N" in the list of Addons - that's what you suggested, right? Will investigate..

Thanks!
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Yes. Also both parts of "West's Chronicles".
Shadow_Walker

Post by Shadow_Walker »

Hmm.. I have checked UMC collections. For a hack'n'slash kind of a roguelike game, I need something moderately fast-paced like "In the Land of Madness" or "One Thousand Suns", by Tyler Johnson, but I am hesitating to use it because of an old post found deep in the archives:
Tyler Johnson » August 21st, 2011, 1:02 am wrote:Hi guys, although I appreciate your interest in my compositions, they're not available for GPL use, as I am under a contract with an exclusive production company.
Also, many of UMCs are short 1 mnt samples, while ample 3 mnt tracks are kinda rare and are mostly represented by smooth medieval themes (not so action-packed).

What's the ballpark figure for track licensing? Say, if I find a good album advertised at SoundCloud, how much would composers charge me for that? Given that it would be used for a free game?
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Shadow_Walker wrote:What's the ballpark figure for track licensing? Say, if I find a good album advertised at SoundCloud, how much would composers charge me for that? Given that it would be used for a free game?
I have plenty of CC-BY licensed tracks available here. No money involved, just use them and give credit.