Tynerium - A Wesnoth based game

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ZebraAtomica

Tynerium - A Wesnoth based game

Post by ZebraAtomica »

Hello Everyone!

Me and my friend GravityI are Game Design students and we are on the last semester to get our degree. For our last assignment, we are required to follow through with any project related to game development that we can think of, so we chose to make an entire game. Therefore, since we have been given this opportunity to make a game, we wanted to make a Tactical RPG that is also inspired on the progression and character development of games like Final Fantasy Tactics, but mostly on the "bigger scale", strategical combat mechanics and narrative world of Wesnoth, a game that we both like to play on our free time and believe that is a doable project for our skill level. We are currently on pre-production stage and plan to bring some innovation and refinement to the game mechanics, make it a bit more fast paced and slightly reduce the influence of RNG, alongside with what our game aesthetics and world would have to offer.

We would like to know if this short description caught your attention, and what are the things that you love or would change regarding Wesnoth? We would appreciate your answers a lot for our initial research.

If you wanna follow our progress, our twitter is here and here here.

Thank you for your time,
ZebraAtomica

Image Image
ZebraAtomica

Re: Tynerium - A Wesnoth based game

Post by ZebraAtomica »

Here are some concept sprites of the lvl0 main character, a villager whose adventure is yet to begin and a high level cavern slime:
Male:Image Female:Image

Slime: Image
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by Computer_Player »

Very interesting! What do I like about wesnoth huh.

Wesnoth is actually very tactical and has been compared to chess in terms of the importance of positioning units. The simplicity of the mechanics leads to easier calculations and makes things easier to balance as well.

All levels of strategy exist, although in order of prominence it is : Tactical , Strategic, Operational (the last is subtle and hard to quantify, especially when we are talking economics in more chaotic games)

Its also very easy to mod so I feel that even I with some effort can learn what is needed to contribute materials. This means there is a lot of excellent user made content.

There is ofcourse a lot that can be improved - wesnoth is very much a pc centered game at its start and it shows even now, something that needs adapting for the other markets of gaming.

There is a lot that you guys can do to make your game yours, don't limit yourself on the mechanics of these games - they are good yes, but I feel what makes turn based games shine is when they allow the players to exploit the mechanics to create amazing moments of the mind - things like pins / discovered checks are not inherent to chess rules, but emerge due to the interaction of the rules and player's experince with it. In wesnoth this means slow + berzerk, or multi-unit sacrifice to take down enemy leader on what is seemingly a protected space.

Good luck!
Cpol

Post by Cpol »

The simplicity of attacking, defending, and moving. Along with the complexity of knowing which units TO move are parts of why I like westnoth.

Any good game, in my mind, must friendly to mods, and should also have a map editor.

Anyways, those are my favorite parts of westnoth. The game looks good! I'll make sure to check it out when ya'ller done.
gravityi

Post by gravityi »

Hey everyone, thanks for the answers! We will take them into account while designing the game so we can try to make the best possible experience! Right now, we got the basic combat system implemented and will probably post more updates once a simple enemy AI is working well enough to provide a basic combat scenario.