Modding Skyrim (papyrus scripts)

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Modding Skyrim (papyrus scripts)

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hello everyone,

Is there perhaps anyone around here, who knows a thing or two about creating Skyrim mods and its papyrus scripts? My sad experience is that on the nexus modding forums, nowadays only topics concerning textures and graphics are still active, and questions about the Creation Kit and scripts are no longer answered by anyone.
Tutorial videos are cool, and there's some vague documentation, so I guess I can already create a small example quest with little scripts, but I want to alter vanilla quests, and for that I'd need some specific help with the existing vanilla papyrus scripts, which are obviously a lot more complex than the beginner's example on youtube.
So I thought maybe I'd ask here as well: If anyone has some experience with this and could help me out, that'd be much appreciated :)
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Odium

Re: Modding Skyrim (papyrus scripts)

Post by Odium »

I'd recommend searching for answers on an actual elder scrolls-related forum instead
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Re: Modding Skyrim (papyrus scripts)

Post by WhiteWolf »

Yeah, been there, done that, as I said in the OP: with zero received replies. Thought to ask here as a last resort :D

Anyway, in the meantime I solved my issues with bruteforce trial and error debugging. If by some unexplainable coincidence, someone is looking for the same answers:
  • Don't try to give Cicero an alias with Unique Actor with the intent of testing GetActorReference().IsDead() on him. Even if allow dead is ticked in the alias, it doesn't work (at least post DB07, that's where I tested this). The scripts compile without errors or warnings, but simply none of the scripts of the quest will work, because for some reason the alias is not filled by the story manager.
  • Even if you do everything right, apparently scenes sometimes just won't start if called from a script attached to an object and things like that. Instead, what's more reliable to do, is instead of directly calling Scene.Start(), just set a new stage for the owning quest, and in the new stage's papyrus start-fragment, call Scene.Start().
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny