Developing a new Wesnoth Game

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fernandodev

Developing a new Wesnoth Game

Post by fernandodev »

I apologize if here is the wrong place to post it, but I really couldn't find a better topic.

I would like to create a Wesnoth card game, but what are the implications?

Legal implications?

1. Of course, I also want to be an open-source version.
2. It's not my intention to reuse any code from the current version.
3. Most likely I would have to reuse a lot of assets because I am not an artist. And by that, I mean sound, graphics, etc..

But what am I missing? Am I allowed to reuse those items and even create a new game based on the World of Wesnoth?

Thanks in advance
Yomar

Re: Developing a new Wesnoth Game

Post by Yomar »

I don't think there will be problems, considering that there are already some card games based on Wesnoth.
Beholded Wesnoth's Origins.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hi! If you are interested please have a look at my wesnoth card game I designed. It isn't amazing but it might give you some ideas! :D

https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.ph ... =card+game

I also went through the same copyright questions and long-story-short wesnoth assets are free to use, I think as long as you distribute them under the same license they currently are. (I have even seen other video games using open source wesnoth images.)

It is nice though if you credit the wesnoth designers! Also, in regards to the game theme, you probably are free to use names and places but again as long as you are not trying to make profit off other peoples work :)
fernandodev

Post by fernandodev »

Thank you very much The_Gnat and Yomar!

and btw, nice game The_Gnat!

I was thinking into create a mobile game, either tatics or card game.
I will elaborate more in the following weeks, maybe creating a blog post with the whole process :P
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

fernandodev wrote: January 31st, 2020, 1:10 pm Thank you very much The_Gnat and Yomar!

and btw, nice game The_Gnat!

I will elaborate more in the following weeks, maybe creating a blog post with the whole process :P
Sounds good! :)
Aekar

Post by Aekar »

Hello there!
Resurrecting after one year.

I will elaborate more in the following weeks, maybe creating a blog post with the whole process
Is there a post published?

Does that mean with sales?
Making USD off the game + art?
This is meant really as a question.
I also went through the same copyright questions and long-story-short wesnoth assets are free to use
I was trying to access more information about all possible copyright questions and situations.
If you would be so kind as to point me to articles about it, I would very much appreciate it! thanks!

For now I use the wiki and any stuff I find about it.

Imho (and please don't consider my as any wesnoth expert here) The_Gnat pointed out right by mentioning you must use the same license.

Now, Wesnoth contributions are under GNU GPL, GNU GPL 2, I suppose this is replaced by GNU GPL 3, and CC BY-SA 4.0 ( https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/ ) and the last one allows to share and adapt commercially, and that leaves my mind in a complete mess, so I will make a post myself to ask people from the community (however, I give myself a few days to investigate that).
ReNoM

Post by ReNoM »

I think it's better to avoid using the wesnoth word, especially if the author is a us resident. The game's name is a registered trademark in the USA (owned by Wesnoth Inc.).
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

> the last one allows to share and adapt commercially

If you refer to the art content then BY-SA is simply different to the GPL. Images are
not quite handled the same as e. g. source code in a programming language. But
using the art can be hugely beneficial still - you could implement any game and
integrate the art in that game. With GPL you have some more restrictions to adhere
to, in particular the make-source-code-available-to-others clause.

Avoiding the name "wesnoth" is good not only because of the trademark situation
ReNoM pointed out but because people could be confused if they associate this
with wesnoth the game.