Mount and Blade

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Mount and Blade

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

What would be the features you would most like to see in a Wesnoth mod for M&B?
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
TheGreatRings

Re: Mount and Blade

Post by TheGreatRings »

Hard to reply, since I haven't played Mount and Blade, so I'll just throw out what I'd like to see in a Wesnoth RPG in general. How much of it is actually possible I won't venture to guess at.

First, I'd like to see as much of the visual style retained as possible. Obviously, graphics will be more detailed and complex. But as much of the basic visual style and atmosphere of Wesnoth as possible should be retained. The equivalent can be said for sound as well (I really love some of the Wesnoth music, and consider it arguably one of the highlights of the game). Doing so creates a link between the mod and the original game, and perhaps somewhat reduces the risk of the new game overshadowing (or being at odds with) the old.

Second, I'd like a better explanation and portrayal of how magic works and how mages are trained. Its a user-made add-on, but the campaign "Tale of a Mage" has some nice material in this regard. I would consider borrowing from this campaign as a source if possible.

I want to walk through Weldyn or Elensefar or Dwarven Doors, and feel like I'm walking through an actual city, complete with shops, markets, buildings, thieves in dark alleys, etc.

I want big battles to happen. Smaller duels and skirmishes can be fun, but now and then I like a truly epic battle. I'm just nearing the end of the campaign Northern Rebirth now, and after playing some of those battles, everything else just feels... small.

Also, regarding Mount and Blade, I don't know if you're aware but a search of Wikipedia revealed that an expansion is due in September of this year, including multiplayer among other things.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

I am aware, and I kinda look forward to it (not sure my compy will handle it).

Magic is hard to do well in M&B, but epic battles can certainly be done.

Using the music is easy, but making the environment conform to Wesnoth will require some 3D graphics work...
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Maeglin Dubh wrote:Magic is hard to do well in M&B, but epic battles can certainly be done.
That's unfortunate. It just wouldn't be right without magic. I don't know if it makes any difference, though, but Wesnoth as it currently stands has fairly simple magic.
Using the music is easy, but making the environment conform to Wesnoth will require some 3D graphics work...
Be worth it though, if its possible. I mean, since game mechanics obviously will change, if the visual style and atmosphere does as well there's not all that much making it still Wesnoth.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about exactly duplicating existing Wesnoth units. As long as the units bear a recognizable resemblance to there original Wesnoth counterparts.
The X-files

Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

The way most mods do magic is as a replacement of the Throwing skill, although replacing the Firearms skill could work just as well. (Thunderers would simply use the Crossbow skill to determine proficiency with the Thunderstick; both weapons use the same animation in-game)

Mage holds magic staff like a rifle, fireball comes out the business end. Good game, everyone.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Maeglin Dubh wrote:The way most mods do magic is as a replacement of the Throwing skill, although replacing the Firearms skill could work just as well. (Thunderers would simply use the Crossbow skill to determine proficiency with the Thunderstick; both weapons use the same animation in-game)

Mage holds magic staff like a rifle, fireball comes out the business end. Good game, everyone.
Works well enough for fire and arcane attacks perhaps, but what about healing, slowing, teleporting, etc? Would that stuff just be cut due to practical nessessity?
The X-files

Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Teleporting, yes.

Slowing and healing, not so sure. I know some mods incorporate battlefield healing, so we could see if they'd let us use their code for that.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Maeglin Dubh wrote:Teleporting, yes.

Slowing and healing, not so sure. I know some mods incorporate battlefield healing, so we could see if they'd let us use their code for that.
I don't know, some people might mind, but for me, teleporting is no great loss. Its pretty limited in Wesnoth anyways.

Healing, on the other hand... I use healers in games in general every chance I get, and the White Mage/Augur/Shaman+upgrades/Mage of Light are some of my favorite Wesnoth units. So hopefully its possible to make those units work to at least some extent.
The X-files

Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

What would be the features you would most like to see in a Wesnoth mod for M&B?
Running on Linux.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Or Macs...
The X-files

thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Unfortunately, neither of those are really features one can expect from a mod ;)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Even though I suggested this a couple years ago, the more I think of a Wesnoth M&B mod, the less I see it being something actually novel. However, I haven't been able to run M&B for a couple years, so I don't really know what is possible now.

I loved "The Last Days" mod, partly because it was the best LotR experience from any game, but mainly because of the end game functionality of it. You had factions and each side could increase or decrease in power.

I don't know what you could add to a Wesnoth mod to make it unique. I'm trying to envision different things. Maybe you could make a way to recreate mainline campaigns. But, it wouldn't flow right in the way that M&B normally flows, since you can't always recruit in Wesnoth, even if you lose your entire army. Maybe you should be able to recruit just like in Wesnoth?

I don't know. Good luck.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Guys, we're not talking duplicating BFW in M&B. Really it's making M&B feel a little more like Wesnoth. If you're hoping for Wesnoth with M&B features then you've got it all wrong. If you haven't played M&B then really you should reserve comment and play the demo first.

Recruiting
I want to have recruiting done the tried and true way in M&B through asking villagers to join. However, as you gain rank or join the cause you'd get access to the barracks in some cities and be able to choose from different units. You'd have to improve your reputation through quests before you'd have access to new units, and there could be a limit to the number you can recruit from one place at a time. There would be an up front sum, and then of course weekly wages like there always is in M&B. This way we can simulate recruiting units of all different backgrounds. We could maybe have a barracks for most units, but say a Mage Tower for mages, a stables for horsemen, and a cathedral, church or monastery for priests. Some mercenaries could still be available at an inn.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

ancestral wrote:Guys, we're not talking duplicating BFW in M&B. Really it's making M&B feel a little more like Wesnoth. If you're hoping for Wesnoth with M&B features then you've got it all wrong. If you haven't played M&B then really you should reserve comment and play the demo first.
If that was the impression my posts gave, it was unintentional. I am fully aware that these are two very different games, and while I regretfully cannot play Mount and Blade until I find an excuse to buy a new computer, this thread among other things has interested me enough to read a lot about the game and some of the other mods discussed on its forums. I do not expect duplication of Wesnoth. Nor, I hope, would I be so stupid as to do so even if I entered this thread knowing virtually nothing about either game. I cannot even fully comprehend the differences in game mechanics. I do expect, however, that if something is presented as a Wesnoth mod, that it will bear a strong resemblance to the setting and story of Wesnoth, even if many other things are radically different. Otherwise you might as well call it "generic fantasy Mount and Blade mod," or whatever.
Recruiting
I want to have recruiting done the tried and true way in M&B through asking villagers to join. However, as you gain rank or join the cause you'd get access to the barracks in some cities and be able to choose from different units. You'd have to improve your reputation through quests before you'd have access to new units, and there could be a limit to the number you can recruit from one place at a time. There would be an up front sum, and then of course weekly wages like there always is in M&B. This way we can simulate recruiting units of all different backgrounds. We could maybe have a barracks for most units, but say a Mage Tower for mages, a stables for horsemen, and a cathedral, church or monastery for priests. Some mercenaries could still be available at an inn.
No priests in Wesnoth. :wink:

I'm not sure how closely this mod would follow the existing Wesnoth geography, if at all, but presumably said Mage Tower would be on the Isle of Alduin, or whatever its called?

Anyway, all of the above sounds good.
The X-files

ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

The Great Rings wrote:
ancestral wrote:Guys, we're not talking duplicating BFW in M&B. Really it's making M&B feel a little more like Wesnoth. If you're hoping for Wesnoth with M&B features then you've got it all wrong. If you haven't played M&B then really you should reserve comment and play the demo first.
If that was the impression my posts gave, it was unintentional. I am fully aware that these are two very different games, and while I regretfully cannot play Mount and Blade until I find an excuse to buy a new computer, this thread among other things has interested me enough to read a lot about the game and some of the other mods discussed on its forums. I do not expect duplication of Wesnoth. Nor, I hope, would I be so stupid as to do so even if I entered this thread knowing virtually nothing about either game. I cannot even fully comprehend the differences in game mechanics. I do expect, however, that if something is presented as a Wesnoth mod, that it will bear a strong resemblance to the setting and story of Wesnoth, even if many other things are radically different. Otherwise you might as well call it "generic fantasy Mount and Blade mod," or whatever.
*shrug* Wasn't aimed at anyone in particular… my apologies if maybe I over-exaggerated?

Buy a new computer? Don't have a Windows computer or cannot run DX7?
The Great Rings wrote:No priests in Wesnoth. :wink:
Fair enough. White Mages. They're essentially clerics. I don't know, I find it robbing there's no detail of religion, but, I suppose it makes it more inclusive of people of all religions or those of no religion.[/quote]
The Great Rings wrote:I'm not sure how closely this mod would follow the existing Wesnoth geography, if at all, but presumably said Mage Tower would be on the Isle of Alduin, or whatever its called?
Well, I was thinking, say, you have a large enough town, there might be a small population of wizards. Maybe they would congregate in a tower. Or maybe that's D&D 2nd ed. cliché.
The Great Rings wrote:Anyway, all of the above sounds good.
Cool.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer