Mount and Blade

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheGreatRings

Re: Mount and Blade

Post by TheGreatRings »

Buy a new computer? Don't have a Windows computer or cannot run DX7?
Na, I use a Mac because, while its worse for games, I find it better for everything else.
Fair enough. White Mages. They're essentially clerics. I don't know, I find it robbing there's no detail of religion, but, I suppose it makes it more inclusive of people of all religions or those of no religion.
Personally I find it a silly rule, though I get the reasons for it. But really, how many other fantasy games have religion, and none of them are accused of excluding religious people, are they? And I suppose White mages fill essentially the same role clerics do in some of those other games.

On the positive side, though, the absence of a lot of religion (let's be honest, it hasn't been removed from mainline entirely) is probably one of the more unique things about Wesnoth.
The Great Rings wrote:Well, I was thinking, say, you have a large enough town, there might be a small population of wizards. Maybe they would congregate in a tower. Or maybe that's D&D 2nd ed. cliché.
Cliches are to be avoided in life, but this isn't to bad. Weather a tower or some other less dramatic form of architecture, mages will need somewhere to rest, study, etc. And it makes sense to have more than one of these scattered around for recruitment purposes.

However, it sounds almost like you are seeing mages as a sepperate, independent entity. Personally, I prefer to see mages as simply another part of the crown of Wesnoth's resources, rather than an independent group. Multiplayer factions aside, the campaigns consistently suggest that mages exist only in Wesnoth (with a few individual exceptions), serve heavily in its militaries, and are bound by its laws. Or have I misunderstood what you're getting at?
Last edited by TheGreatRings on May 31st, 2009, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

The Great Rings wrote:
Buy a new computer? Don't have a Windows computer or cannot run DX7?
Na, I use a Mac because, while its worse for games, I find it better for everything else.
That's my primary computer. Wouldn't have it any other way. :)
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

ancestral wrote:
The Great Rings wrote:Na, I use a Mac because, while its worse for games, I find it better for everything else.
That's my primary computer. Wouldn't have it any other way. :)
I keep trying to find an excuse to buy a Windows computer to go with my Mac. But it needs to be a good excuse, as I'm not exactly rich.
The X-files

Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

White Mages are plenty distinct from most fantasy clerics. At least in D&D, clerics/priests get their magical power from praying and devotion to a deity. In Wesnoth, white magic is simply another brand of magic, like red and silver (i.e. spells are the result of books and studying), in which the goal is "dedicating the skills they have been given to the good of all." So, their philosophy (lack of religion aside) is much like any other fantasy cleric, but their means of magic is very much different.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

However, we still need more content: further detailed history, stories, more characters, locales, town maps, and other reference materials.

See also the WoW topic, which this spun out from.
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Obviously there's work involved. Sadly I don't know how much I could contribute, since I a) can't play Mount and Blade, and b) can't code at all. Ideally I'll have corrected those problems by the end of the summer, but for now...

However, I am always willing to help in any way I can.
The X-files

TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

ancestral wrote:However, we still need more content: further detailed history, stories, more characters, locales, town maps, and other reference materials.

See also the WoW topic, which this spun out from.
How much history and how many new characters would need to be developed depends on what point in Wesnoth's history you set the mod, doesn't it? I mean, the history is fairly detailed around the time of Heir to the Throne, and for about a generation before and after (I count four or five mainline campaigns in that period). Other times, though, not so much.

Stories, I'm honestly not sure what you mean. Major events? More detailed bios for existing characters? Quests for the player to complete? I suppose the answer is "all of the above." :wink:

Locales I'd say we have a lot of if you stole them from mainline campaigns, even more if you took some from user-made add-ons. But yeah, you'd need town maps.
The X-files

ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

I should clarify:

For Wesnoth in General
We need stuff.

For this M&B mod
Alright…

I'm not sure when for this to take place. I'm wondering if maybe we should base it sometime in the Silver Age, maybe in the beginning, or in the middle, or something along those lines. Obviously having many towns to visit will make it more interesting.

HttT is already documented and played through, and I think there will be a number of people who have played Wesnoth (and of the scenarios likely they'll have played some of HttT).

Anybody have ideas on the era to start this in?
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

ancestral wrote:I should clarify:

For Wesnoth in General
We need stuff.
Any specific priorities beyond what's already been mentioned?
For this M&B mod
Alright…

I'm not sure when for this to take place. I'm wondering if maybe we should base it sometime in the Silver Age, maybe in the beginning, or in the middle, or something along those lines. Obviously having many towns to visit will make it more interesting.

HttT is already documented and played through, and I think there will be a number of people who have played Wesnoth (and of the scenarios likely they'll have played some of HttT).

I'm not sure, though for me some time after Northern Rebirth has its appeals. Setting the game during or near Heir to the Throne would negate having the Northern Alliance as a faction. Whereas if you set it a generation later, Wesnoth is at its height and the familiar HttT heros are still alive, but you also have a strong sepperate faction to the north in the form of the Northern Alliance, with very differnet forces and a very different feel to them overall.

Hmm, I haven't played the orc campaign yet, so I'm wondering: if we set it at that point in history, what would the state of the Northern Alliance and Wesnoth be? I'm thinking we could maybe catch three major factions at the height of their power, which could be good.
The X-files

ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

The Great Rings wrote:
ancestral wrote:I should clarify:

For Wesnoth in General
We need stuff.
Any specific priorities beyond what's already been mentioned?
Well, I feel like this is the wrong place for that.

Some stuff was suggested in this topic :)
The Great Rings wrote:
For this M&B mod
Alright…

Hmm, I haven't played the orc campaign yet, so I'm wondering: if we set it at that point in history, what would the state of the Northern Alliance and Wesnoth be? I'm thinking we could maybe catch three major factions at the height of their power, which could be good.
Three strong factions? I like that idea! Doing it late in the Age of Fear would be fine. Perhaps somewhere between 563–607, in between Northern Rebirth and The South Guard.
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

So, that would give us... Loyalists, Dwarves and Outlaws, and Orcs (and co.)?
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Well, the elves would obviously be around too, not obviously weaker or stronger than at any time in their history from what I can gather. Same with the Saurians, though so far they've never had much of a presence beyond a short term villain for the sake of variety in any campaign I've played.

But yeah, I liked that time frame because it puts as many of the major factions as possible at the height of their powers. Especially Orcs, Wesnoth, and Northern Alliance. I just figured things would be the most interesting if there were a number of different factions at comparable levels of power.
The X-files

unsung

Post by unsung »

Make it so cavalry isn't so overpowered.
make it so there's more than one ladder in sieges/spearmen don'tsuck horribly and die.
I'd steal some things from thebattle for sicily/last days mods. And the calradia at war mod- ther'd be barriers and wooden walls you could bash away in cities, destroyable gates.
Oviously, add wesnoths units.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Araja

Post by Araja »

If the time period is causing problems why don't we take things from all over the time periods?

We could take aspects from any period and most add-ons, This is supposed to be a stand alone game so it doesn't need to obey the 2D Wesnoth's time line does it?

Unless you need the periods for a history, but honestly if you need to copy as opposed to create the history that much we don't have much leeway.
Basically, what I'm saying is some variety is going to be needed outside the pre-defined storyline. (I myself would like to see it work, but can't really imagine how)
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Araja wrote:If the time period is causing problems why don't we take things from all over the time periods?

We could take aspects from any period and most add-ons, This is supposed to be a stand alone game so it doesn't need to obey the 2D Wesnoth's time line does it?
Yeah. Trying to fit the units to a timeline is putting the cart before the horse.

Make factions that are fun to play, and then deal with story issues.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!